Airport.

Billy kettlefish

3 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

Why do you not recognise poor management when you see it?

So every other airport that does similar and charges for drop offs is good management then?

I think fines plus towing away should have been used first but would that stop it

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Banker said:

So every other airport that does similar and charges for drop offs is good management then?

I think fines plus towing away should have been used first but would that stop it

It would be interesting to know how many tickets were issued to unattended vehicles, in the last few months. This might indicate how hard they actually tried to enforce the previous rules.

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, Nellie said:

It would be interesting to know how many tickets were issued to unattended vehicles, in the last few months. This might indicate how hard they actually tried to enforce the previous rules.

Probably zero 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Nellie said:

This needs looking into...a minority shouldn't be allowed to mess things up for the majority.

System was working well for years.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

When you recruit people whose sole interest is in masterplans and development, they have little interest in running and managing a small island regional airport. I believe that is reflected in the lack of maintenance and lack of finding solutions to problems without having access to buckets of money which is the case now.

The pickup area has been a shambles for some time with no one enforcing any restrictions, which of course may be the method of ensuring that action HAS to be taken.

We have rafts of civil servants dreaming up all sorts of rules and regulations at the airport none of which improve the lives of residents / users at all.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

"So we need to do something about this current thing."

"That would involve doing some work"

"Can we just charge for it and hope that solves it?"

"It would provoke a lot of angry people and still involve doing some work"

"Ban it then"

Backslaps all round

Edited by TheTeapot

1 hour ago, Nellie said:

I pick up regularly at the airport and drop off, this is a complete lie to introduce a draconian regime for no good reason. I'm beginning to detest this island and its Nazi administration!

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, asitis said:

The pickup area has been a shambles for some time with no one enforcing any restrictions, which of course may be the method of ensuring that action HAS to be taken.

Shambles is a bit strong. The drop-off worked relatively well and semi-policed itself. As others have said, a few tickets would have easily resolved issues around unoccupied vehicles.

The only real issue I've seen down there is the buses flying past, which is well within their own control.

Should be aiming for best small airport, think the highly rated London City (which, not coincidentally, has free and close pick-up/dropoff) rather than trying to make it Gatwick.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

The unintended consequence of this, is the off airport parking at Ronaldsway and the pick ups taking place outside Ronaldsway aircraft company will become more attractive, and the dangers of crossing the dual carriageway by people with luggage will increase if as people predict the car park idea becomes unworkable.

• Like 1

Oh how I hanker for the good old days, say 1980’s  when the  ( free) car park was nothing more than a piece  of waste ground to the right of the terminal building.

There was a viewing area at the top of the hall where, if you were so inclined, you could watch planes taking off and landing from a good vantage point.

The baggage hall was just open and luggage was pushed through a hole  in the wall and could be accessed by all and sundry. I don’t think any piece of baggage was stolen, anymore than it would be now.

Obviously things have had to be changed with 9/11 and the imposition of EU legislation ( for better or worse) but it would be nice to think that these changes could be accommodated without leading to draconian measures like this.

If the law allows it then why not have time limited pick up/ drop off zones with sensible restrictions? As many have said if you abuse the conditions then punish the abusers not a blanket ban on those who choose to obey the rules.

I remember being at primary school ( when pre Thatcher) infants had a1/3 of a pint bottle of milk given to them at break time. One time someone must have had a couple of these bottles leaving one child without their milk. It was something like that.

Anyway as some sort of punishment the whole class was made by the teacher to sit down until anyone confessed to helping themselves to an extra unauthorised bottle of milk. ( It wasn’t me I should add). I still feel a sense of burning rage at the injustice some nearly 60 years on

Nobody confessed , because they couldn’t be identified and eventually the teacher had to concede defeat and let it go without anyone being punished.

Anyway my point is that miscreants in the drop off/ pick up zone can be identified so deal with them rather than take the easy option and banning everyone using this area legitimately 

• Thanks 2

The throngs of people waiting for passengers could also be improved by having an airport website that was actually accurate with real time arrival information. Too often, flights are listed as on time and people arrive to pick up, only to be left hanging around waiting in the....pick up area.

• Like 6