Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1 hour ago, WTF said:

flight radar 24 tells you where the plane is in  real time , if you can access an airport website you could access flight radar instead , you just need the flight details to find the correct plane to watch.

I am well aware of that. I do track flights but not everyone does. I would hazard a guess that if one can access real time flight information, then its not rocket science to have accurate information on the Isle of Man airports own website. But they don't! The steam packet are equally incompetent at this too.

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

I am well aware of that. I do track flights but not everyone does. I would hazard a guess that if one can access real time flight information, then its not rocket science to have accurate information on the Isle of Man airports own website. But they don't! The steam packet are equally incompetent at this too.

Flight Radar 24 has an API that can be used.

Update from departures:

There has been no change out front of terminal. Drop off working very smoothly though busy as three London flights going out. 

Maybe the PR intern sent out the press release on the wrong week.

or they continue to be grossly incompetent.

Oh and escalator bust … only slower stairs up. There’s a metaphor there somewhere.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, littlebushy said:

maybe IOM airports should have a link to flight radar on their home page ??

11 minutes ago, WTF said:

maybe IOM airports should have a link to flight radar on their home page ??

Or they could have an accurate arrivals and departure page on their website like other airports. After all, they do compare themselves to other airports when it suits them.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, littlebushy said:

Or they could have an accurate arrivals and departure page on their website like other airports. After all, they do compare themselves to other airports when it suits them.

you can't expect the CS to update anything outside of 10am  to 3pm 

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

What about the lunch break?

my mistake, i do apologise, just remove  11.30 till 1.45 from the times quoted.

Edited by WTF
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, littlebushy said:

The throngs of people waiting for passengers could also be improved by having an airport website that was actually accurate with real time arrival information. Too often, flights are listed as on time and people arrive to pick up, only to be left hanging around waiting in the....pick up area.

Well quite, but I remember Cobb saying in one of his Manx Radio interviews that the updating of arrivals/departures had been outsourced (presumably to Menzies) and updating it wasn't a high priority for the operators.  Presumably someone in the DoI congratulated themselves on off-loading this onerous task that benefited no one except the public.

It's all very well saying that people can use FlightRadar or similar and work things out from that, which is fine for many you know how to use it and derive the information they need from it.  But that ignores the first rule of public information, which is that it shouldn't be aimed at those in the know or even the average member of the public but pitched at a level that almost everyone can understand.   Which is what a Arrivals/Departures Board should do, even though it will never be as up-to-date.

• Like 5

4 hours ago, John Wright said:
10 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

And it's not clear where the non-booked taxis are supposed to go when there's more that the small space allocated

The outer taxi waiting lane, as now.

But there were also taxis waiting in the now-forbidden zone, by the smoking area.  Were these prebooked and have they now taken over what was the 'queue' area for those plying for hire?

13 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

It's all very well saying that people can use FlightRadar or similar and work things out from that, which is fine for many you know how to use it and derive the information they need from it.  But that ignores the first rule of public information, which is that it shouldn't be aimed at those in the know or even the average member of the public but pitched at a level that almost everyone can understand.   Which is what a Arrivals/Departures Board should do, even though it will never be as up-to-date.

i thought the boards in the airport are usually up to date??, it's just the website that isn't. the dream racket is the same , a  last nights sailing was shown as expected at 21:48 ( what a stupidly precise time to publish )  and still showed that same message after it was docked and off loaded. and it docked quite a bit later than 21:48 when it did get here,  i was watching the web cam .

• Haha 1

Nothing at the airport is improving, one of the reasons why is there is no money, Mr Cobb has said that.

However what goes on in the guise of doing something, i.e. inventing rules, regulations and obstacles to place in the way of users beggars belief. 

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Cinderella said:

Update from departures:

There has been no change out front of terminal. Drop off working very smoothly though busy as three London flights going out. 

Maybe the PR intern sent out the press release on the wrong week.

Well the Facebook post is still the most recent on the Airport's account and it still says "we are making significant changes starting at 6:00 AM on Friday, May 31st:".  But it makes you wonder exactly who did come up with this idea.  Cobb, whatever you think of him, isn't that stupid to come up with something so obviously unworkable and he strikes be as too cautious to bring in something so quickly and unannounced.  Was this thought up by highways or parking and imposed from on high?  Or did Crookall and Peters wave it though (assuming they were even consulted) and are now backpedalling?