Airport.

Billy kettlefish

10 minutes ago, x-in-man said:

It's a private road - it's closed off Xmas Day to keep it a permissible road under the rules.

Fixed penalty should be replaced with a fixed fee - of £1000 to leave a car unattended (i.e. Parked) on that stretch of road.  Get out and walk away from the driving seat for anything other than opening a door or the boot - the fee is payable. 

Just slap the invoice payable on the screen.

That should cure the issue over night. 

But they can only do that if they have the legal right to do so. That's why I'm asking do they have that right?

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

But they can only do that if they have the legal right to do so. That's why I'm asking do they have that right?

It's a private road.  The owner can open and close it, or charge whet ever it likes. 

1 hour ago, Mercenary said:

Well I will give them a (small) amount of credit for rolling it back in the face of unpopular opinion

I would say that it would be untypical of them to care about the public's opinion, but that they eventually read the point (made by me, actually) that the log-jam would move from the front of the airport building to Car Park 1 - thus incurring the wrath of the elite who have paid a premium to be in a traffic queue. And the Youtube videos, if Amadeus is around.

1 hour ago, Mercenary said:

Presumably this has come down from Crookall -

Was not Crookall the Minister when the £250,000 and can't accept Manx coins announcement was made? Not only that, is there any MHK who is willing to tell a Civil Servant to do an over-night U-turn? Or tell a Civil Servant to do anything (like pay for car parking - I felt I had to add that.)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Don't think they can issue parking tickets without the proper paperwork/warrant? Though presumably the DoI could loan them one of the meandering a wardens or are they parking control officers nowadays?

image.gif.e583b10d2918ae4c7e252407dcfc51c0.gifPretty fast U-turn not even 24 hours LOL

1 hour ago, x-in-man said:

It's a private road.  The owner can open and close it, or charge whet ever it likes. 

My drive is private, but there is no legislation to allow me to issue parking tickets and more importantly enforce them !

This was the problem with double yellow lines on Market Street, they didn't have a supporting order so were unenforceable.

JW will know.

The roads at the airport may be owned by the airport or DOI  but they can still be public roads surely. I'm sure JW will be able to clarify this.

I'm saying this because I was doing some work at a UK airport years ago and was informed that the roads were regarded as being public roads 

20 minutes ago, emesde said:

The roads at the airport may be owned by the airport or DOI  but they can still be public roads surely. I'm sure JW will be able to clarify this.

I'm saying this because I was doing some work at a UK airport years ago and was informed that the roads were regarded as being public roads 

Doesn't it depend if they are adopted or not? 

It may be different on the IOM .but the M6 toll ,for instance, is privately owned but all the same rules apply as any other motorway. Police patrol it and respond in the normal way.

10 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Adopted makes them DOIs. They are already DOIs so they can't become theirs twice. 

I think adopted makes them public roads and so subject to the rules of the highway.  However, I just asked the question. 

However, if they close the road on Xmas day, it would indicate that they are not adopted as there would have to be a road closure order, I think. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, emesde said:

It may be different on the IOM .but the M6 toll ,for instance, is privately owned but all the same rules apply as any other motorway. Police patrol it and respond in the normal way.

Possibly specific legislation (or order) for that situation?