Airport.

Billy kettlefish

I have received a message from Easyjet cancelling a flight I had from IoM to Liverpool next January. They have given me the option of a flight the next day, which is no use because I have another flight booked that day (and the hotel and so on).

That's it. I've had enough of them.

Posted (edited)
3 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

I have received a message from Easyjet cancelling a flight I had from IoM to Liverpool next January. They have given me the option of a flight the next day, which is no use because I have another flight booked that day (and the hotel and so on).

This isn't different to any other airline though. They all make schedule changes. Loganair cancelled a flight I had to Manchester which inconvenienced me, and the alternative they offered wasn't any good either.

EDIT - Having just checked, a Gatwick > IOM flight I've got for March 2025 has been moved back by about an hour. Haven't been notified yet. Actually better for me as I'm flying in from Singapore and now get an extra hour to connect in case of delays.

Edited by swoopy2110

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

As I posted previously they’ve been pulling lots of flights/routes with Bristol and Belfast scrapped from October to April. What are airports board doing about it , if there’s anything they can do. I can London city being scrapped by Logan air soon as it’s the first one they cancel if any issues like today.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, swoopy2110 said:

Loganair cancelled a flight I had to Manchester which inconvenienced me, and the alternative they offered wasn't any good either.

I've got a Loganair booking in November.  I only booked it a few weeks ago and they have already changed the times twice!  

4 hours ago, swoopy2110 said:

This isn't different to any other airline though

No, until the Island abandoned true scheduled airlines, they published a timetable and invariably, come hell or high water, ran to that schedule.

The fact that the Manx public has accepted the piss-poor 'service' that airlines deign to provide is a reflection on the public, its attitudes in general and a damning reflection on our pathetic parish council.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2024 at 12:23 PM, Two-lane said:

If you've booked a January flight already you've probably paid over the odds. There will eventually be a sale where the price will come down compared to now

On 6/5/2024 at 4:59 PM, Utah 01 said:

No, until the Island abandoned true scheduled airlines, they published a timetable and invariably, come hell or high water, ran to that schedule.

The fact that the Manx public has accepted the piss-poor 'service' that airlines deign to provide is a reflection on the public, its attitudes in general and a damning reflection on our pathetic parish council.

I don't think the island abandoned any airline.

Who comes into that category? 

If BA wanted to operate BA metal to Heathrow then they're welcome to.

But the commercials don't work for them so they let Loganair code share.

One factor is the population is too small

56 minutes ago, lfc84 said:

f you've booked a January flight already you've probably paid over the odds. There will eventually be a sale where the price will come down compared to now

The price I paid I thought was OK (although the airline prices recently have increased significantly via seat and luggage costs).

I am not looking for the cheapest price. I am looking for a flight that goes on a certain day, within a few hours of a particular time to a certain place, because I have other flights and accommodation that depend on that.

If that flight did not exist, I would have made bookings for the other parts of the holiday on other days or other airports.

The business practice  (which is what it seems to be) of announcing flights that they have no intention of running is infuriating. The practice seem to be that they announce a schedule, wait a few weeks or months and look at the passenger count, and then re-arrange things to suit the airline's bank account. Worst case, all they have to do is refund the money.

Of course, if I get on to another EasyJet flight and tell one of the cabin crew what I think about their service to the customer, no doubt the invisible managers would ban me from the airline.

• Like 2

On 6/5/2024 at 3:59 PM, Utah 01 said:

The flights are much cheaper now than back then though aren’t they?

Is it realistic to expect lower fares than we had before and the same levels of reliability?  

4 minutes ago, Roger Ram said:

Is it realistic to expect lower fares than we had before and the same levels of reliability?  

The market and fare models have moved on since then and you're talking 20 years plus ago - so probably yes.

1 hour ago, lfc84 said:

Who comes into that category? 

How long have you lived here? Manx>BA, Euromanx, Flybe, Manx 2, Aer Lingus - all operated scheduled services.  Your memory can't be that bad or has the utter chaos of easyjet and loganair randomised services become so ingrained?

44 minutes ago, Utah 01 said:

How long have you lived here? Manx>BA, Euromanx, Flybe, Manx 2, Aer Lingus - all operated scheduled services.  Your memory can't be that bad or has the utter chaos of easyjet and loganair randomised services become so ingrained?

You’re missing out the likes of Silver City, BEA, BÚA, Dan Air, BIA, Air UK, BMA, JE, they came and went, none stayed for very long. There were smaller fly by nights that didn’t last a season, or Dan Air that was horrendously unreliable.

They didn’t provide any stability, and that was down to load factor/market size.

The longest period of stability was Manx. And that was a shotgun marriage between BMA and BIA.

BMA had taken over from BA. Neither BMA or BIA/Air UK  were making money on Manx routes. The merged their island routes to form Manx. And the genius idea was to base here. Planes, admin, engineering. Ronaldsway as a hub. Huge costs savings.

The past comings and goings have had little to do with the Airports Board or Admin. It’s been to do with changing ways of operation by airlines, new business models, and  passenger volumes.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, Roger Ram said:

The flights are much cheaper now than back then though aren’t they?

A little while ago EasyJet changed both legs of a Gatwick return to an extent that I had to cancel both and make other arrangements. That cost me over £300, plus inconvenience.

Also note that EasyJet uses dynamic pricing - around the time of Covid was not the price of a last-minute Liverpool-IoM flight around £200?

7 hours ago, Two-lane said:

A little while ago EasyJet changed both legs of a Gatwick return to an extent that I had to cancel both and make other arrangements. That cost me over £300, plus inconvenience.

Also note that EasyJet uses dynamic pricing - around the time of Covid was not the price of a last-minute Liverpool-IoM flight around £200?

easyJet did not fly here, or anywhere else, during COVID.  There were no IOM flights between 23/3/2020 and 28/6/2021.