Airport.

Billy kettlefish

4 minutes ago, Nellie said:

easyJet did not fly here, or anywhere else, during COVID.  There were no IOM flights between 23/3/2020 and 28/6/2021. 

OK - but I remember clearly (but obviously not clearly enough) that there was an event at some time or other that caused the dynamic pricing to kick in - I was trying to book, and I saw the prices going up by the minute.

Maybe someone here has a memory that still functions.

7 hours ago, Two-lane said:

Also note that EasyJet uses dynamic pricing - around the time of Covid was not the price of a last-minute Liverpool-IoM flight around £200?

8 minutes ago, Nellie said:

easyJet did not fly here, or anywhere else, during COVID.  There were no IOM flights between 23/3/2020 and 28/6/2021. 

I’m pretty sure both of you are correct.

Flybe went under on 5/3, and I think singles fares on EZY to Liverpool hit stratospheric heights for the next 17 days

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

OK - but I remember clearly (but obviously not clearly enough) that there was an event at some time or other that caused the dynamic pricing to kick in - I was trying to book, and I saw the prices going up by the minute.

Maybe someone here has a memory that still functions.

Yes it was just before the pandemic that Flybe went under and so there was only EasyJet flying . During that brief period fares rocketed and at one point a single fare from Liverpool was costing up to £400. As you say it’s the EasyJet dynamic pricing model but to be charging people £400 for a single fare was outrageous dynamic model or not . People should never forget what EasyJet did back then ! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

There is an "Isle of Man Air Services Review" document, but it is rather too long for my brain to parse.

No doubt there have been discussions about the effect that the Open Skies policy can have on the weaker airlines, but has there been any discussion about airlines taking advantage of the situation by (deliberately, in my opinion) advertising flights that they have no intention of running?

I am  not  interested in rock-bottom ticket prices. I want to be reasonably sure that, breakdowns and weather excepted,  if I book a flight, it is going to go.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, IOM said:

Yes it was just before the pandemic that Flybe went under and so there was only EasyJet flying . During that brief period fares rocketed and at one point a single fare from Liverpool was costing up to £400. As you say it’s the EasyJet dynamic pricing model but to be charging people £400 for a single fare was outrageous dynamic model or not . People should never forget what EasyJet did back then ! 

easyJet are offering post-TT seats to LPL tomorrow (Saturday) from £90 to £358, depending on the time you want to fly. On Sunday, it's £211, when you can also go to LGW for £386! 

I have no problem with the concept of dynamic pricing, but agree that a realistic cap should kick-in. 

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I have no problem with the concept of dynamic pricing, but agree that a realistic cap should kick-in. 

In a purely commercial, competitive, environment it up the each company to make money how they can - or go bust. I have seen news items about restaurants using dynamic pricing.

In a monopoly, or near monopoly, situation it is something else. How about dynamic pricing for the buses? The prices for school children would be a bit eye-watering.

• Confused 2

10 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

In a purely commercial, competitive, environment it up the each company to make money how they can - or go bust. I have seen news items about restaurants using dynamic pricing.

In a monopoly, or near monopoly, situation it is something else. How about dynamic pricing for the buses? The prices for school children would be a bit eye-watering.

Well yes . But the issue is the likes of EasyJet are offering people flight tickets at £24 ( excluding baggage) at times and this in my view is a non sustainable price . By acting in this way it forces other carriers out of business or causes them to reduce frequency . Then when an alternative carrier goes Easyjet can charge what they like . The swing in ticket price is far too extreme and that’s why I agree with @Nellie that there should be a cap . 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lfc84 said:

For balance. Loganair to London city over the next few days £334 Sunday, £278 Monday, £243 Tuesday, and so it continues....

Yes I agree and some of those are extreme too but the fares to London City or Heathrow reflect it’s a service direct into the heart of London to a major destination hub at regular times that don’t change and are typically more expensive because it’s a smaller carrier . What they don’t do is offer silly unsustainable ticket prices of £24 ( and then add a load of additional costs for bags and speedy boarding etc ) which are not reflective of the cost of flying . EasyJet offer low fares when it suits them ( usually at times that are not really very suitable) and then charge ridiculous fares in other periods. I have had cause to travel on the trains in the U.K. recently and the fares over there are typically £100 -£150 return north to south that’s the sort of fare that is sustainable. 

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, IOM said:

Yes it was just before the pandemic that Flybe went under and so there was only EasyJet flying . During that brief period fares rocketed and at one point a single fare from Liverpool was costing up to £400

It wasn’t just EasyJet flying, but Loganair- who were flying to Edinburgh and flying the City service for BA CityFlyer- didn’t take the piss to anywhere near the same extent. The day after Flybe went EasyJet were charging £300 to Liverpool. I managed to get IOM-City-Newcastle through BA for £100.

Loganair are more expensive but not much more so than EasyJet. Although I do enjoy sitting in the departures lounge when there’s an EasyJet going- there’s always reliably a good handful of people getting charged £50 because their carry on bag is half an inch too big.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Ringy Rose said:

It wasn’t just EasyJet flying, but Loganair- who were flying to Edinburgh and flying the City service for BA CityFlyer- didn’t take the piss to anywhere near the same extent. The day after Flybe went EasyJet were charging £300 to Liverpool. I managed to get IOM-City-Newcastle through BA for £100.

Loganair are more expensive but not much more so than EasyJet. Although I do enjoy sitting in the departures lounge when there’s an EasyJet going- there’s always reliably a good handful of people getting charged £50 because their carry on bag is half an inch too big.

We’ve recently priced up tickets to Liverpool & Manchester & when you add in cost of a bag to easyJet price it is similar price to Logan air price.

• Like 1

What are the reports I am hearing about the all new and industrial miracle scanning machines, that they just ain't that good and the airports that have them are reverting to having a 100ml maximum and in a clear bag. This can not be true as A) we do not have them and B) we do not have them. Our bunch of incompetents at the DOI have been raving on about these for months, saying if we did not have them international travel would be impossible (apart from one or two flights a year, where the fuck do we fly international. Oh apart from the inside of former chief Reynolds head) and the sun would stop rising and small children and animals would all grow up to be criminals. The main reason I can not believe we do not have them is the chance we had to waste more money, not just the many millions 3 new machines would of cost but the new security suit we would have to build as they have to be kept in a controlled inviroment (just making that bit up but would waste more money). You may be wondering why three machines, No1 in use No2 as back up and maintenence. No3 something we can look longingly at and bitch about not being used when que's are  out of the door but mainly to use as spares as the bargain priced machines we bought were end of production line and the firm has since went under due to Covid. That's not to say we may of already bought them and the DOI are waiting to surprise us with a grand scheme of airport improvements.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

What are the reports I am hearing about the all new and industrial miracle scanning machines, that they just ain't that good and the airports that have them are reverting to having a 100ml maximum and in a clear bag. This can not be true as A) we do not have them and B) we do not have them. Our bunch of incompetents at the DOI have been raving on about these for months, saying if we did not have them international travel would be impossible (apart from one or two flights a year, where the fuck do we fly international. Oh apart from the inside of former chief Reynolds head) and the sun would stop rising and small children and animals would all grow up to be criminals. The main reason I can not believe we do not have them is the chance we had to waste more money, not just the many millions 3 new machines would of cost but the new security suit we would have to build as they have to be kept in a controlled inviroment (just making that bit up but would waste more money). You may be wondering why three machines, No1 in use No2 as back up and maintenence. No3 something we can look longingly at and bitch about not being used when que's are  out of the door but mainly to use as spares as the bargain priced machines we bought were end of production line and the firm has since went under due to Covid. That's not to say we may of already bought them and the DOI are waiting to surprise us with a grand scheme of airport improvements.

Exactly what point are you trying to make?

That the machines that our airport could not do without are to be found wanting, and instead of making it easier to transit the airport we go back to the old system. The good thing we have not yet wasted millions in purchasing said machines but this is in no way connected to the brainpower trust that is the DOI just pure luck. Simple enough for you 👍