Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Just now, Dirty Buggane said:

That the machines that our airport could not do without are to be found wanting, and instead of making it easier to transit the airport we go back to the old system. The good thing we have not yet wasted millions in purchasing said machines but this is in no way connected to the brainpower trust that is the DOI just pure luck. Simple enough for you 👍

A number of UK airports have reverted to the 100ml limit because the machines don't do the job they were intended to do. 

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, Gladys said:

A number of UK airports have reverted to the 100ml limit because the machines don't do the job they were intended to do. 

Effectively it's all of those that have completed introducing the Next Generation Security Checkpoints (NGSC).  As the BBC coverage points out:

Most UK airports, including London Gatwick, Heathrow and Manchester, still have the restrictions on liquids in place as their new scanners are not yet in place.

[...]  Airports have been hit by supply chain issues and faced major construction work to install the scanners.

The X-ray machines, similar to CT scanners used in hospitals, are very heavy and in some instances, floors will need to be reinforced.

Despite the original deadline having been this month, it has had to be extended.  Birmingham have only just started using theirs, which may explain their delays as they will have teething troubles on top.

I've a feeling that the Isle of Man isn't affected at the moment as there is a requirement of a million pax per year.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

That the machines that our airport could not do without are to be found wanting, and instead of making it easier to transit the airport we go back to the old system. The good thing we have not yet wasted millions in purchasing said machines but this is in no way connected to the brainpower trust that is the DOI just pure luck. Simple enough for you 👍

Well at least it makes more sense than your first ramble. 

I think the machines will become the norm. Seems like there are some teething issues though. We went through one at Manchester airport in March. I have to say I thought it was fantastic. Just put you bags on the tray. No need to take anything out. Straight through. No need to take belts off or anything.

How do we know that the DOI are actually buying one though?

On 6/8/2024 at 5:01 PM, Banker said:

We’ve recently priced up tickets to Liverpool & Manchester & when you add in cost of a bag to easyJet price it is similar price to Logan air price.

Yep, that’s very much my experience too. Loganair do seem to have higher prices on the days when EasyJet can’t be arsed serving here, and I really don’t blame Loganair for that.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Happier diner said:

I think the machines will become the norm. Seems like there are some teething issues though.

I’ve used them in Dublin and at City and they’re so much better.

I do wonder what the teething troubles are.

As for whether we will get them, I imagine we will. The UK intends for them to be mandatory at UK airports so I don’t see how we can not follow suit.

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

And don't forget to add it's already included in the cost estimate of £36M and don't forget to notice that it's a 'may be needed' 

The amount of IOM Gov funded campaigning against wind turbines is unreal.

Just like how Steam Packet spent a fortune on full page newspaper ads against turbines in the sea.

From the horse's mouth (CAA):

'First announced in 2018, the new scanners detect prohibited items with greater accuracy, meaning security staff can work more efficiently and passengers no longer need to take items out of their hand luggage – making the process simpler and saving time during security screening. Once in place travellers will also be able to take greater quantities of liquids through security, meaning an end to 100ml limits.

The extensions to the June 2024 deadline are being granted to those airports required to install the new kit, meaning passengers should still check the security requirements for liquids and large electronic items at their departure airport before travelling this summer. Extensions have been granted for up to a year and it is the responsibility of airports to install this cutting-edge technology.

Due to issues such as the global supply chain’s continued recovery from the pandemic, some airports have been unable to upgrade their security checkpoints before the 1 June 2024 deadline announced at the end of 2022. Extensions have been given on a case-by-case basis.

We recognise that installing the new security equipment at busy airports has been a logistical challenge, with some airports having to undertake significant construction work to allow the new, extremely heavy equipment to be fitted. In some cases, airports have been required to construct entirely new screening halls.'

...............and, of course, it's all CV's fault 'such as the global supply chain’s continued recovery from the pandemic'.

1 minute ago, lfc84 said:

closed due to a light aircraft incident.

is that the 3rd time in the last 12 months?

It's the 3rd time in a few weeks! 

• Like 1