Airport.

Billy kettlefish

1 hour ago, lfc84 said:

Today marks the first day that easyJet have cancelled a flight due to a reason within their control for many, many months

I assume you mean: "Today marks the first day that easyJet have cancelled a flight - on the day of the flight- due to a reason within their control for many, many months"

Every damned flight I have booked with them recently has been cancelled - but they call it "changed", rather than "cancelled".

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Utah 01 said:

Most of your posts are usually correct and informative - but on this you are absolutely clueless.

Hyperbole, but it certainly feels like they do.

Although I’m the first to admit that In biased as I’m still cross about having my weekend ruined by that Beech Super King where the landing gear failed- a known and repeated fault on that type of aircraft, as we saw a week later when the same thing happened again in Australia.

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, IOM said:

I don’t think the Isle of Man is the centre of the universe and I don’t believe I have ever said anything like that . But it’s not unreasonable to expect a standard of service and in the case of the Bristol flight EasyJet waiting an hour at Liverpool. Is that really asking that much ? 

How long would you suggest they wait? How long is acceptable to you? 2 hours? 3? 4? As long as it takes?

8 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

How long would you suggest they wait? How long is acceptable to you? 2 hours? 3? 4? As long as it takes?

How about an hour hardly a big deal is it ? In this case it would have been more than enough . And it’s all very well going you going on about 2 hours or 3 hours etc how do you think the passengers on the incoming and outbound feel ? Have you ever considered them in your thoughts ? 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, IOM said:

How about an hour hardly a big deal is it ? In this case it would have been more than enough . And it’s all very well going you going on about 2 hours or 3 hours etc how do you think the passengers on the incoming and outbound feel ? Have you ever considered them in your thoughts ? 

I am sure it was very frustrating for them.

But big picture thinking required. It isn't just about them. It impacts lots of other people elsewhere in the world the greater the knock on.

37 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

a known and repeated fault on that type of aircraft, as we saw a week later when the same thing happened again in Australia.

If it was a known fault, would an Airworthiness Directive (or whatever the phrase is) been issued?

1 minute ago, NoTailT said:

I am sure it was very frustrating for them.

But big picture thinking required. It isn't just about them. It impacts lots of other people elsewhere in the world the greater the knock on.

My apologies of course you are a big picture thinker and I should not be concerned about the needs of the Isle of Man at all . If I am right I think you are also the person who has consistently said I am biased against EasyJet in favour of Loganair . Maybe you want to look at any number of posts I have put out there and again today to see if you are right ! 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

If it was a known fault, would an Airworthiness Directive (or whatever the phrase is) been issued?

There are numerous ways of a manufacturer advising an owner/operator of a possible known issue, the mandatory one is the airworthiness directive which instructs a course of action which must be complied with within a certain time frame, some instantly as in grounding the whole fleet ! Below this mandatory  notice are service bulletins which recommend a course of action but are not generally mandatory and then service letters which are a a general communication method. You are correct in as much, as if the fault was recurrent and identified to type, then an AD would be issued usually with an engineering remedy action mandated . This is one source to see them if you are so inclined https://ad.easa.europa.eu

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, asitis said:

There are numerous ways of a manufacturer advising an owner/operator of a possible known issue, the mandatory one is the airworthiness directive which instructs a course of action which must be complied with within a certain time frame, 

Is it true that to boost tourism the airport is still offering reduced landing fees for single engine private planes so that more people can fly more of these death traps over here to close the runway for fee paying commercial flights? 

34 minutes ago, FANDL said:

Is it true that to boost tourism the airport is still offering reduced landing fees for single engine private planes so that more people can fly more of these death traps over here to close the runway for fee paying commercial flights? 

I think it's a tad far fetched to describe single engine aircraft as death traps.

See: Pilatus PC12.

14 hours ago, asitis said:

They have inspections and bills that make a Ferrari look cheap, every 50hrs, then 100 hrs, then annually, then 3 years then six years, stuff on calendar time and flight time, many expensive parts thrown in the bin after a few hours simply because the calendar says so. They have a company overseeing all the time and date maintenance and monitoring bulletins and Airworthiness directives published by engine manufacturers , airframe manufacturers and onboard equipment etc etc, this is in addition to the maintenance company actually handling the spanners. Most have to go to a 145 organisation which had audited staff and approved maintenance premises. All this and more applies to the aircraft that had the puncture today and to the twin which had a gear failure.

Thanks.  So is there a firm that does all that over here? 

15 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Thanks.  So is there a firm that does all that over here? 

no, that's why all the aircraft go off the island for maintenance. Another trick missed by government.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, asitis said:

no, that's why all the aircraft go off the island for maintenance. Another trick missed by government.

Didn't they basically make it expensive and difficult for maintenance operators to exist?

43 minutes ago, asitis said:

31 minutes ago, NoTailT said:

Didn't they basically make it expensive and difficult for maintenance operators to exist?

Would there be enough business to make it commercially viable?  Any idea how many private aircraft are actually housed and used here?  Not the Private Jet register stuff though.  

I know there are quite a few options for Marine Engineers for boat maintenance.  But there are a lot more boats here and they wouldn't need to be mega trained/regulated.

1 minute ago, The Phantom said:

Would there be enough business to make it commercially viable?  Any idea how many private aircraft are actually housed and used here?  Not the Private Jet register stuff though.  

I know there are quite a few options for Marine Engineers for boat maintenance.  But there are a lot more boats here and they wouldn't need to be mega trained/regulated.

Certainly a lot less light aircraft than there used to be, not necessarily the IOM fault just regulation and costs forcing people who are not mega wealthy to give up. I know one person wanted to build a maintenance facility near the Balthane Road but Heritage and Planning stood in his way, the facility I believe is now at Gloucester. Of course we lost all the engineering and support staff and pilots and crew when we no longer had an airline based here.

In pure regulation and cost terms, aviation is an expensive business from the small aircraft to the largest !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2