Airport.

Billy kettlefish

8 hours ago, Numbnuts said:

My experience of Covid/ flu  has been quite interesting these last few days. I’ve never had Covid but over the years have had flu many times . Talking to a friend on the phone on Monday , intelligent and previously in a position of power , and he insisted I had Covid as I was coughing and feverish. Seems like flu now to many has gone off the menu . I was more than confident that it’s was only flu and two tests later , yesterday nd today , they came up negative and just a dose of flu. Remember asking my pharmacist over Covid times where had flue gone as you never hear it mentioned . He did make a valid point that people wearing PPE is helping stopping the spread but still not sure that everything claimed as Covid actually was. Not in any way diluting the reality of Covid on so many people though. 

Covid / Flu / Man Flu are essentially the same thing. 

Although the latter should be treated as the most serious of the three.

• Haha 7

11 hours ago, Hairy Poppins said:

Covid / Flu / Man Flu are essentially the same thing. 

Although the latter should be treated as the most serious of the three.

I agree about the man flu but not about the COVID/Flu. They are not the same thing at all and not even 'essentially'

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

I agree about the man flu but not about the COVID/Flu. They are not the same thing at all and not even 'essentially'

In a way they are.  Much of the illness that is felt from a viral infection is the immune response.  Levels of various inflammatory proteins are raised - IL1 for example raises your temperature - in any viral infection, and in both influenza and covid the primary infection site is the respiratory tract.  So where you're right - covid and flu are completely different viruses from a molecular perspective - the body's response, and the symptoms felt, are very similar.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

In a way they are.  Much of the illness that is felt from a viral infection is the immune response.  Levels of various inflammatory proteins are raised - IL1 for example raises your temperature - in any viral infection, and in both influenza and covid the primary infection site is the respiratory tract.  So where you're right - covid and flu are completely different viruses from a molecular perspective - the body's response, and the symptoms felt, are very similar.

Damn you and your expert medical opinion

• Haha 5

2 hours ago, wrighty said:

Cows eat grass. Horses eat grass. They are not essentially the same though. The only similarities are in their behaviour and lifecycle. But I get what you are saying. Its subjective. 

46 minutes ago, Happier diner said:

Cows eat grass. Horses eat grass. They are not essentially the same though. The only similarities are in their behaviour and lifecycle. But I get what you are saying. Its subjective. 

Precisely what is subjective?

1 hour ago, Happier diner said:

That's not what Wrighty is saying at all.  He is saying that the symptoms we experience is from the body's reaction to and defence against an infection.  That reaction will be the same to many different infections.  How often do we hear about different diseases starting with flu-like symptoms?

The extent to which the reaction is felt may vary between individuals and to that extent it is subjective.  

2 hours ago, Happier diner said:

Cows and horses, from a molecular perspective, are completely different. But the effects on the human body if you were to get kicked by one would be much the same. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 7

5 hours ago, wrighty said:

That's all very well but,as mentioned before, whatever ailment you have, there is invariably a much more serious male strain of the disease.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, A fool and his money..... said:

That's all very well but,as mentioned before, whatever ailment you have, there is invariably a much more serious male strain of the disease.

100% and proven to be the case by many (male) scientists! 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Bombay Bad Boy said:

These figures seem to be based on the calendar year 2023.

Last Summer, easyJet achieved an 'on time performance' level on the Gatwick evening service of around 10%. That alone accoounts for a big chunk of the delays, and is not the fault of the Airport management. 

Loganair's operational performance was, and continues to be, pretty patchy, most of the time.

Yes. the ATC issues, the lack of aids for poor weather, and other operational issues on the Airport side will have contributed, but this is as much about the Airlines as it is about the Airport.

• Like 1

Although I think the current management of the airport and its services are weak in many respects, the airport is like all of our public services, there simply is no money ! Anything that costs money to improve at the moment is not viable as staying afloat is the number one priority !

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1