Airport.

Billy kettlefish

7 minutes ago, Nellie said:

LCY also diverted to LPL which suggests ATC closed earlier than both airlines expected, as they surely wouldn't have left otherwise.

That’s what is being said on Facebook, blaming ATC for having a tea break which is not strictly true, also Treasury minister is apparently on Gatwick flight!!

2 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

Shambles of a place

Indeed it is. 

I’ve just booked an Easyjet flight to Liverpool in December, returning the next day.

No baggage just an overnight bag which meets the conditions for under seat storage.

The return journey has cost just under £48. This should be a cause for celebration. 

It’s brilliant ( or would be)  if I dont have  to spend the next 3 or 4 months wondering whether each leg will actually operate.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, swoopy2110 said:

Shambles of a place

Maybe wait and get some facts first?

Who knows what could have happened to lead to ATC suddenly become short staffed!

As an example.  If I was at work and got a call that a family member was suddenly very ill, or that my house was on fire I would be out of the door regardless of if it meant some flights being diverted.

I have no idea what has gone one, just thinking of scenarios 

Another day and another drama at Isle of Man Airport. More flights disrupted because of ATC issues…

Who is accountable for ATC? If it’s the ATC manager others have identified as causing issues and staff to leave…when will government hold him accountable for failing at his job?

How does IoM Government allow someone to hold such a post for 5 years with such public failings… 🤦‍♂️

I lost my first job in Shoprite many years ago because I admittedly was falling short of my duties…the errors of youth! This chap runs ATC!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Gordonzola said:

I lost my first job in Shoprite many years ago because I admittedly was falling short of my duties…the errors of youth! 

🎵 I've been going out with a girl, her name is Jubrie. 🎵

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Gordonzola said:

Another day and another drama at Isle of Man Airport. More flights disrupted because of ATC issues…

Who is accountable for ATC? If it’s the ATC manager others have identified as causing issues and staff to leave…when will government hold him accountable for failing at his job?

How does IoM Government allow someone to hold such a post for 5 years with such public failings… 🤦‍♂️

I lost my first job in Shoprite many years ago because I admittedly was falling short of my duties…the errors of youth! This chap runs ATC!

There has been a lot of senior management job creation at the airport in recent years but it’s all well buried unless you want to go routing round on LinkedIn . The peasants don’t deserve to know who the management team are through the website. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Gordonzola said:

Exactly this. If anyone who has a fancy job title like "Head of....anything" has been in post for five years and they aren't now managing a stable, well-run and efficient team, they should be out of a job. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Tinpot said:

Maybe wait and get some facts first?

Who knows what could have happened to lead to ATC suddenly become short staffed!

As an example.  If I was at work and got a call that a family member was suddenly very ill, or that my house was on fire I would be out of the door regardless of if it meant some flights being diverted.

I have no idea what has gone one, just thinking of scenarios 

But the operators of the airport, given that scenario, should be prepared or have contingency measures in place for it given the nature of the job and the implications of someone having to suddenly leave work ( house fire or whatever)

If you were in a different job, say a stock replacement operative in Tesco’s the implications of your suddenly having to leave would not impact your customers to the same extent in that they would miss a flight ( maybe to visit a family member who suddenly became very ill)

Thus ATC should have strict contingency measures in place in case of illness ( which is inevitable) to ensure that the wheels keep turning.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

But the operators of the airport, given that scenario, should be prepared or have contingency measures in place for it given the nature of the job and the implications of someone having to suddenly leave work ( house fire or whatever)

If you were in a different job, say a stock replacement operative in Tesco’s the implications of your suddenly having to leave would not impact your customers to the same extent in that they would miss a flight ( maybe to visit a family member who suddenly became very ill)

Thus ATC should have strict contingency measures in place in case of illness ( which is inevitable) to ensure that the wheels keep turning.

Of course it would help massively if the ATC manager was qualified to land planes as the job should require !

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Hairy Poppins said:

I'm not sure this is an isolated incident of closing early. You might want to check the published airfield opening times for September...

Surely the airlines know in advance when the closures are?

I see the Logan air flight to Manchester is stating that it is delayed 45 minutes due to ATC problems.

13 hours ago, The Voice of Reason said:

It’s difficult to have a robust contingency plan with no staff. They barely have enough to cover normal hours. 

although it could have also been technical failure that caused the closure. Again, we’re all in the mushroom club. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, cissolt said:

Surely the airlines know in advance when the closures are?

I see the Logan air flight to Manchester is stating that it is delayed 45 minutes due to ATC problems.

Checking FR24, that's becasue they are waiting for the plane (G-LMTC) that diverted to LPL to get back here, and they will then be unable to get out before the daily shutdown between (I think) 11.00 and 11.35. So, yes, it is an ATC delay again.