Airport.

Billy kettlefish

54 minutes ago, Nellie said:

It does make you question whether we need highly paid people in charge of Route Development, Marketing etc. as whatever they are doing, clearly isn't working. 

Route development and marketing is as much about retaining the existing routes as getting new ones. 

The fundamental problem is that people want easyJet prices at high frequencies. The two are not compatible. EasyJet have economies of scale so have slightly lower prices but the consequence of that is a heavily reduced frequency. EasyJet’s presence on the Belfast route on a weekend is why Flybe couldn’t make it work and why Emerald couldn’t make it work either.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Andy Onchan said:

You could if there was remote tower handling more than one airport.

That’s not how a remote tower works. AFAIK you can have an ATCO qualified to work on more than one airfield but you can’t have them operating more than one airfield at any one time.

The only advantage to a remote tower is, being based in Swanwick, you have access to a wider pool of ATCOs.

The big disadvantage is cost. London City’s remote tower cost £25m.

46 minutes ago, Ringy Rose said:

That’s not how a remote tower works. AFAIK you can have an ATCO qualified to work on more than one airfield but you can’t have them operating more than one airfield at any one time.

The only advantage to a remote tower is, being based in Swanwick, you have access to a wider pool of ATCOs.

The big disadvantage is cost. London City’s remote tower cost £25m.

Technology is a wonderful thing. And the way things are going at the moment globally with ATCs, I wouldn't rule anything out. Whatever method of control is used it's going to be expensive.

4 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

I see that the Airport Director's position with his previous employer is still vacant. Have they kept it open for him to return?

A post on FB recently indicated he's going to Qatar. Whether that's true or not I have no idea

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

I see that the Airport Director's position with his previous employer is still vacant. Have they kept it open for him to return?

The Managing Director, Inglis Lyon, stood down in April 2023 (the remote ATC was his idea) and they only got a replacement this May.  So presumably they've been waiting for the new CEO before making any appointments.  The fact that it took them 13 months to get someone doesn't bode well for replacing Cobb.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The Managing Director, Inglis Lyon, stood down in April 2023 (the remote ATC was his idea) and they only got a replacement this May.  So presumably they've been waiting for the new CEO before making any appointments.  The fact that it took them 13 months to get someone doesn't bode well for replacing Cobb.  

image.jpeg.2332847e562eafbbe946428823f39912.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I heard talk today that the DOI have purchased a fleet of electric Volvos for use by the airport fire service to maximise green credentials, but they can't equip them with the necessary safety equipment for airfield use by virtue of them being electric so they are now parked up doing nothing. Wouldn't be at all surprised. 

Can't be right they have not long purchased those huge American  Oshkosh firetrucks that they couldn't get into the airport fire station  the minister at the time said they would provide fire and rescue services for many years to come  mind you I would not believe anything the DOI  said  it seems to be in their Genes , someone will know for sure 

18 minutes ago, fredtosser said:

I heard talk today that the DOI have purchased a fleet of electric Volvos for use by the airport fire service to maximise green credentials, but they can't equip them with the necessary safety equipment for airfield use by virtue of them being electric so they are now parked up doing nothing. Wouldn't be at all surprised. 

It could be a new reason for the airport to shut for a while - "We did a big training session yesterday, and it's going to take another 12 hours to recharge the batteries"

• Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Two-lane said:

It could be a new reason for the airport to shut for a while - "We did a big training session yesterday, and it's going to take another 12 hours to recharge the batteries"

hopefully  Manx Forums will have a mole in there somewhere  a lot of DOI staff are in despair with the management  and the truth will come out eventually ,