Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Track record and governance of IOM operators isn't very good to say the least. Manx2 and Euromanx.

I'll take my chances with easyJet.

Airports are in a competitive environment. They're bending over backwards to attract airlines and the inward investment that their ops generate. Somehow there are those that think the IOM is the centre of the universe. It isn't. Airports and tourism authorities will pay the likes of Ryanair to operate because they know it boosts their economies, employment and society.

• Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

2 hours ago, VikingRaider said:

Makes a massive difference as long as the planes are stabled here. Easyjet's main problem is they want their planes and crew back in the UK that night so even if the airport is open for them to land it sometimes isn't for them to take off again which means they abort the flight if they can't get an extension. However, if they didn't continually schedule flights to here at the end of the day knowing full well that the build up of delays during the day would cause a problem life would be so much better. 

I have mentioned this before, but IOM is the only domestic destination that does not have an early morning flight to Gatwick. Bases like Belfast, Edinburgh, Glasgow send a plane to Gatwick each morning. Jersey, Aberdeen, Belfast City all have a Gatwick based aircraft 'night-stopping'. 

Obviously there is a cost to night-stopping an aircraft, but it creates the chance for an early departure to London, which ought to be more attractive to many passengers than a late night departure.

If easyJet could be persuaded to do this, it would largely eliminate the issues of late running and ATC, will we won't we stay open.

Two crews staying here, every night, would be a nice earner for a local hotel and the costs might well be covered by more people flying on a better schedule. Even if the Airport had to put up some money to get it started, that money would be spent locally, and probably be better value than throwing it at Loganair to provide and erratic and unreliable service to London City.

I know there are few details to iron out around how the whole schedule would look but I can't understand why the hoards of managers at the Airport haven't been able to make this happen.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Nellie said:

I have mentioned this before, but IOM is the only domestic destination that does not have an early morning flight to Gatwick. Bases like Belfast, Edinburgh, Glasgow send a plane to Gatwick each morning. Jersey, Aberdeen, Belfast City all have a Gatwick based aircraft 'night-stopping'. 

Obviously there is a cost to night-stopping an aircraft, but it creates the chance for an early departure to London, which ought to be more attractive to many passengers than a late night departure.

If easyJet could be persuaded to do this, it would largely eliminate the issues of late running and ATC, will we won't we stay open.

Two crews staying here, every night, would be a nice earner for a local hotel and the costs might well be covered by more people flying on a better schedule. Even if the Airport had to put up some money to get it started, that money would be spent locally, and probably be better value than throwing it at Loganair to provide and erratic and unreliable service to London City.

I know there are few details to iron out around how the whole schedule would look but I can't understand why the hoards of managers at the Airport haven't been able to make this happen.

Easyjet don't do layovers IIRC. It's always back to home base. 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

We are out in Hong Kong. Apples and pears I know but OMFG the airport is incredible. Currently building a third runway and excellent connectivity, some of which is driverless. None of this £5 drop off nonsense, the whole system is designed to keep people moving. 

And the wider territory is on a mission. It has a plan and is building a proper 21st century city. Very impressive 

6 minutes ago, Derek Flint said:

We are out in Hong Kong. Apples and pears I know but OMFG the airport is incredible. Currently building a third runway and excellent connectivity, some of which is driverless. None of this £5 drop off nonsense, the whole system is designed to keep people moving. 

And the wider territory is on a mission. It has a plan and is building a proper 21st century city. Very impressive 

Is this harvesting ideas for Ramsey

• Haha 2

5 hours ago, WTF said:

what doesn't get mentioned much is that vehicles government buy at such large discounts could/can get sold after 2 or 3 years for the same price that was paid for them to start with.

but then the  new buyer has to pay the VAT , and given how poorly they are looked after ,dings .scrapes never washed or polished  , roughly driven , not many people queing up to buy them when they are auctioned off in Murrays  ,

6 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Easyjet don't do layovers IIRC. It's always back to home base. 

Yes they do! Check FR24. They layover a Gatwick based aircraft at Aberdeen, Inverness, Jersey and Belfast City every night. 

Here is an example from today. Arrived in Jersey yesterday (13th) and departed this morning (14th).

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-ezax#

Edited by Nellie
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Have you took a new job in the propaganda office of the chinese government?

• Haha 8

7 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

Well it’s easy with a dictator, no free speech and slave labour!

2 hours ago, Nellie said:

Yes they do! Check FR24. They layover a Gatwick based aircraft at Aberdeen, Inverness, Jersey and Belfast City every night. 

Here is an example from today. Arrived in Jersey yesterday (13th) and departed this morning (14th).

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/g-ezax#

Wasn't aware of that. Thank you

• Like 1