Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Stopped using it, as I was under the stupid idea that when I turned up at the airport there would be a plane that I had booked for a certain date and time ready to whisk me away. I know I know its a stupid way to think, but having to book a plane 5 days before my onward flight on the off chance they may not actually be a plane to board. Made me rethink fuck em I'll get the boat which in itself is another fukin lottery, but shorter odds maybe.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

27 minutes ago, Dirty Buggane said:

Stopped using it, as I was under the stupid idea that when I turned up at the airport there would be a plane that I had booked for a certain date and time ready to whisk me away. I know I know it’s a stupid way to think, but having to book a plane 5 days before my onward flight on the off chance they may not actually be a plane to board. Made me rethink fuck em I'll get the boat which in itself is another fukin lottery, but shorter odds maybe.

Thats stupid

Most flights go on time or are a bit delayed.  A small number are cancelled.

Evening Gatwick flight is a bit of a risk but not using the airport at all is stupid.

If it wasn’t for social media you wouldn’t even hear about 95 percent of the small number of cancellations.

Edited by Tinpot
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

7 minutes ago, madmanxpilot said:

Unless he qualified his statement and it wasn’t reported by the press, to say there are 16 ATCOs is misleading.

There are currently 9 full timers and one part timer who works 6 shifts a month.

They are the only ones who are able work as controllers. 

Who are the other 6 then? Trainees 

1 hour ago, Banker said:

Who are the other 6 then? Trainees 

Led to believe that 3 fully qualified controllers have come and gone within the tenure of the current ATC manager. The director has also been in position for the departure of two of these. The director has today criticised the Manx public for being responsible for them leaving by mocking them. 
From the rumours I have heard, much more responsibility for their departure rests with the current management team's behaviour toward them. Behaviour which is causing considerable low morale within the group right now and which could quite easily result in more leaving. 
The requisite number to operate the unit safely and without closure is unlikely to be reached within 3 years, probably more likely to be 5 and that relies on all the many (I think 5) trainees passing every test successfully. 
We were being told in April that everything would be sorted by August this year, now the departing director is telling us 2 to 3 years.  While the current situation seems to be not entirely of the current bosses doing, perhaps at least if he had been honest at any time in his tenure, we might wish him well where he goes, having decided to desert the sinking ship. 

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

Unless he qualified his statement and it wasn’t reported by the press, to say there are 16 ATCOs is misleading.

There are currently 9 full timers and one part timer who works 6 shifts a month.

They are the only ones who are able work as controllers. 

To be fair he did explain that these included four that had been recruited to train 'ab initio' and that would take 3 -4 years (and they might not pass) and that even ones recruited from outside had to undergo local training before they could operate.  James Davis (who as usual was the one asking the questions) seemed to have difficulty understanding that this wasn't a problem you could solve by just chucking money at it, which struck me as rather telling about Manx establishment attitudes.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, lcd said:

Led to believe that 3 fully qualified controllers have come and gone within the tenure of the current ATC manager. The director has also been in position for the departure of two of these. The director has today criticised the Manx public for being responsible for them leaving by mocking them. 

He didn't blame the criticism directly, but said it didn't help (there was muttering about ATCOs having biscuits thrown at them).  As usual everyone was saying it was 'social media', but the source of most of the complaining appears to be comments from  easyJet pilots and he pointed out that a lot of the delays etc were caused by Gatwick being understaffed not Ronaldsway.

Of course ATCO management the resident elephant and from comments I heard, everyone knows about it and no one will say anything publicly.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

To be fair he did explain that these included four that had been recruited to train 'ab initio' and that would take 3 -4 years (and they might not pass) and that even ones recruited from outside had to undergo local training before they could operate.  James Davis (who as usual was the one asking the questions) seemed to have difficulty understanding that this wasn't a problem you could solve by just chucking money at it, which struck me as rather telling about Manx establishment attitudes.

Thanks.

That’s why I qualified my comment.

It’s a shame that IOMG’s reporting of what he said on the matter in their own facebook post was misleading.

The irony of IOMG reporting him as saying in the very same post that not everything you read on social media is reality is amusing.

IMG_0990.thumb.jpeg.22b8f25eec43acfc9cdc1db26c442444.jpeg

Edited by madmanxpilot

13 hours ago, lcd said:

The director has also been in position for the departure of two of these. The director has today criticised the Manx public for being responsible for them leaving by mocking them. 

What he said was a bit more nuanced than the reporting of what he said. But the ATC staff have been abused, online and I’ve also heard that this has extended to abuse of airport staff in person.

As @Roger Mexico says, a big part of the animosity seems to stem from EasyJet’s desire to apportion blame away from its own failings. The airport, and ATC, routinely work late to accommodate EasyJet and to accommodate easyJet’s inability to stick to the timetable easyJet itself publishes. All of this goes unnoticed and un-noted but whenever EasyJet’s delays exceed what we can facilitate then easyJet are only too happy to throw all the blame on Ronaldsway.

I get why easyJet do it- it’s to try and avoid being liable for compensation under UK/EU261. But the consequence is that Ronaldsway staff get the abuse for it.

If the ATCOs already hate their management then if they start getting abuse off the public that’ll be the final straw to make them leave.

Edited by Ringy Rose

14 hours ago, lcd said:

Led to believe that 3 fully qualified controllers have come and gone within the tenure of the current ATC manager. The director has also been in position for the departure of two of these.

I understand the director has been in position for the departure of all three

• Like 1