Airport.

Billy kettlefish

On 2/28/2022 at 4:45 PM, Banker said:

Probably, Crookall was on radio saying they can’t get replacement parts as no longer made, the ticket machines available are not able to take Manx pound coins & so a whole new system required!

Could just have a bloke on gate with card machine charging any parking , probably pay for itself quickly.

Could get that bloke who is always shouting at people for stopping to let people out or in when there’s nowhere to stop or park to do it!

OR Just assume that people who are modern enough to fly have access to a debit/ credit card and have that as the only option like most places in the World do.

If they don't than it cant be too hard to get them to go to the info desk, explain why they dont have a card and pay them who could give them a get out of the carpark card type thing.

FFS Why do the island's CS think they have to re invent the wheel all the time?

21 hours ago, 0bserver said:

comeflywithme.jpg

That is maybe his plan?

The fly on the wall type shows totally rely on "Jeopardy" to make them interesting.

The IOM version of come fly with me would have a huge amount of jeopardy every day the way the fucking shit show is run.

• Will i get a flight?
  • Will the baggage trolley work?
  • Will the X ray machine work?
  • Will the runway lights work,
  • Will the airline I booked on still be in business by the time I have walked to the plane from the gate?
  • Will the Costa be open

FFS it would win an Oscar

The DOI minister could black up and start selling TT trinkets at the door for the full on effect.

Edited by Boris Johnson
  • Haha 3

21 hours ago, Derek Flint said:

This is really sad. 

I remember, 20 years ago, being really proud of our little airport when I was picking visitors up. Easy to collect them, either in the bays put front or being able to take advantage of a reasonable free parking period.

Clean and tidy, decent services and proportionate to the needs of the Island. The rot started when they started charging for short stays for pick up and drop off. 

Expensive control tower, badly executed runway extension, undermining the function by turning it into an over priced jab Centre all followed.

Completely agree with all of this. I moved over about 17 years ago and the airport was a joy to use compared to Manchester. My mum used to love using it due to ease, cleanliness etc and couldn’t believe we got free parking to drop her off. She’ll be flying over again for the first time in a few years this Easter, I reckon for the first time Manchester airport will be the most “pleasant” one to use.

• Like 4

36 minutes ago, Paulos The Great said:

Don’t worry if there’s a budget short fall the taxpayer will find the money somehow. They don’t have to be business people despite how much they pretend they are.

Sadly your right. But in my view in lots of areas it should be looked on as a business and some effort made to justify expenditure and get value for money . Instead we get the Liverpool landing stage and the Prom where it seems zero accountability or attempts to get value for money , tax payers money , has seemingly existed. Lots of other examples .  

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, manxchester said:

Completely agree with all of this. I moved over about 17 years ago and the airport was a joy to use compared to Manchester. My mum used to love using it due to ease, cleanliness etc and couldn’t believe we got free parking to drop her off. She’ll be flying over again for the first time in a few years this Easter, I reckon for the first time Manchester airport will be the most “pleasant” one to use.

You haven’t flown through, or had to drop off/pick up passengers at, the hell that is Manchester, recently, then?

12 minutes ago, John Wright said:

You haven’t flown through, or had to drop off/pick up passengers at, the hell that is Manchester recently, then?

Yeah I’ve flown through a couple of times recently. It’s crap but has been for a long time and you go there expecting it (although the last 2 times I’ve flown from there I’ve had a fast pass through security and got through quicker than I did at the Isle of Man airport). Thankfully not had to pick anyone up from Manchester, they have managed to make an almighty mess of that.

My mum will probably still be expecting early 2000s level of service and organisation over here though..

I'd suggest part of the problem at the airport was getting rid of their staff following widespread outrage over 'baggage handlers on £40000 a year' a while back. Replace directly employed staff with contracted workers for a large scale operator and the quality of service will always reduce.

• Like 1

Just now, TheTeapot said:

I'd suggest part of the problem at the airport was getting rid of their staff following widespread outrage over 'baggage handlers on £40000 a year' a while back.

Along with the outrage over overpaid bus drivers and the overpaid postmen....

Meanwhile the numbers in Govt on over £100k a year rise relentlessly.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

I'd suggest part of the problem at the airport was getting rid of their staff following widespread outrage over 'baggage handlers on £40000 a year' a while back. Replace directly employed staff with contracted workers for a large scale operator and the quality of service will always reduce.

To be honest, I just want to get on a plane and depart. If I take luggage I want it processing normally, and when I land I want to receive my luggage without waiting long. The security is a joke but so is the management. It’s not asking much whether it’s directly or indirectly employed. As things stand I tend to get the boat with a vehicle, and I wish to fly away on holiday I fly from Manchester. Incidentally I went away for a holiday recently and the airport was heaving as kids going away on half term - Manchesters security was easy quick and painless. 

Edited by 2112
  • Like 2

Flying commercially must be one of the most disagreeable experiences these days (short of the prostate exam but I'm getting to like that). I used to look forward to flying, but faced with the nonsense of pointless security checks and all the rest of it, I took my car on the boat in December. And I hate boats as I suffer from motion sickness but can keep my lunch down for a 20 minutes flight.

• Like 6