Airport.

Billy kettlefish

5 hours ago, Amadeus said:

It really shouldn’t be so hard to run a lifeline airfield for an island that depends on stable travel connections for many areas of its economy. Seemingly, however, it is. 

Actually if you read what you've written, you've explained why it is so hard: 

• It's a lifeline, so you can't just stop because it isn't paying. 
  • It's an island so there's no alternative 30 miles down the road, because there is no 30 miles down the road. 
  • It's needed for many areas of the economy, but those areas all have different requirements (and what they want isn't actually what they need in some cases).
  • The trouble with stable travel connections is they have two ends (and maybe quite a lot of middle).  And we have very little control over the other end (eg Gatwick).

So yes it is quite hard, especially when you've loads of of vociferous middle-class people all convinced that the airport should somehow offer flight patterns that suit them personally and at no more than £25 a flight.

Edited by Roger Mexico
Typo
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, madmanxpilot said:

It seems fairly clear to me from listening that MR interview that he is talking about hostility from social media.

I was more joking that he started out by saying something that was accidentally true.  The mention of social media came from Gawne, but Cobb seemed more concerned with actual physical interactions, which will be most distressing things for the ATCOs.  Mostly it will be idiots be 'humorous', but it must still be wearing.

I get the impression that most people seem aware of the reason for the breaks and I surprised by the number of comments I heard at the Conference which indicated people were well aware of what the situation was in ATC.

• Like 8

1 hour ago, madmanxpilot said:

It seems fairly clear to me from listening that MR interview that he is talking about hostility from social media.

Yes, it seems very clear that he’s leaping on the excuse of hostility from public and social media.  It would be interesting to know how many of the three ATCs that have left during his tenure left because of hostility on social media.  I believe it to be zero. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Molly Coddle said:

Yes, it seems very clear that he’s leaping on the excuse of hostility from public and social media.  It would be interesting to know how many of the three ATCs that have left during his tenure left because of hostility on social media.  I believe it to be zero. 

As you say Cobb likely finds it easier to blame “abuse” on social media for people leaving rather than him being shit in any way might be responsible for people going. It’s the same as Theresa Cope this week. It’s all so unfair that people can say how shit the things that I am responsible for are on social media. That’s just bullying and I’m really upset. Because I don’t think I’m shit, and I don’t think I should have to listen to anyone else saying how shit they think I am when I’m on £200k a year. I’ll be off soon because of all this social media bullying (and not because I might conceivably be shit in any way at all). 

Edited by Luker
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, Molly Coddle said:

Well Cobb said quite clearly that there was no proof they had left because of that - and as I said above he emphasised in-person abuse, saying that ATCOs now didn't want to say what their job was to strangers.  Though I suspect that is mainly because they don't want to get stuck into the same long boring conversation yet again with idiots who believe what easyJet pilots tell them.

People who work in conventional media, like Gawne, are obsessed with 'abuse' on social media because they hate the idea that the public might answer back or do their job better than them.  And of course there's always those in the Management Class who regard any criticism of them as intolerable and misrepresent it as attacks on the front line.  But I don't think Cobb was doing that here - though others in the Airport hierarchy may have in the past. 

• Like 9

20 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

… idiots who believe what easyJet pilots tell them.

Sir Henry Wotton observed to King James 1 of England that ‘An Ambassador is an honest man sent abroad to lie for his country’. An easyJet pilot is sent to the PA system to lie for his airline.  

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dave Hedgehog said:

Looks like no Dublin flights on Tuesdays or Wednesdays from 29 October. 

At least they’re still going on some days, Bristol & Gatwick none at all & no Liverpool on Tuesdays.

Also see Gatwick delayed 1.40 this morning due to late arrival and then hitting the advertised closure 

7 minutes ago, asitis said:

What’s wrong with that report? Other than many of the delays were easyJet problems & delays 

Edited by Banker
  • Confused 1