Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Is £120M expenditure really necessary to return Ronaldsway to being an effective regional airport ?  I think not.

Simply, Sort out ATCO manning levels, install CAT2 ILS and Basic Approach Lighting on RW26 and extend the Departure Lounge into the area where the glass walkways are currently located are IMHO the essential “fixes” needed to improve the operational needs of airlines and passengers alike.

• Like 3

With regard this errant manager, certainly7 HR need to re-educate him.

Regards ATC recruitment, we are having to look beyond our shores, we get a person, they move here but they can't sell their English home, they don't move their family here, they're paying rent here and expenses at home !!!

Of course these people are less inclined to remain on the Island, they haven't cut their ties to 'home', so just move back there!!!

The answer is to recruit from on Island, even with a years training, these trainees would not have a bolt hole to regress to???

ATC is a highly skilled job, it's not easy to just drop people into place???

5 hours ago, Cypman said:

Is £120M expenditure really necessary to return Ronaldsway to being an effective regional airport ?  I think not.

Simply, Sort out ATCO manning levels, install CAT2 ILS and Basic Approach Lighting on RW26 and extend the Departure Lounge into the area where the glass walkways are currently located are IMHO the essential “fixes” needed to improve the operational needs of airlines and passengers alike.

The problem is that the empire builders in IOMG don’t see it that way. Everything has to be a major project so otherwise unemployable people can keep their jobs for another few years. That’s the difference between public and private sector. And if they say 120 they mean 200, as demonstrated with the ferry terminal and other success stories. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Amadeus said:

The problem is that the empire builders in IOMG don’t see it that way. Everything has to be a major project so otherwise unemployable people can keep their jobs for another few years. That’s the difference between public and private sector. And if they say 120 they mean 200, as demonstrated with the ferry terminal and other success 

Maybe at a proposed £120M we should consider ourselves lucky though...

Screenshot_20240927-052825_Facebook.jpg

I know we jokingly call it Heathrow on Sea at times but I didn’t know they took that literally. 

While they’re redoing the lounge, can they please get rid of that terrible Costa and put a normal coffee shop there selling local produce rather than industrial sandwiches? That would be nice. 

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, asitis said:

What the devil does 'new flight management systems' refer to ? That term seems to me to cover a multitude of sins !

The £300m mentioned was a miss speak - he should have said £300k. I’m fairly sure he subsequently corrected himself.

The Flight Management Systems in this context are, put simply, an interface the ATCOs use as part of their job.

2 hours ago, madmanxpilot said:

The £300m mentioned was a miss speak - he should have said £300k. I’m fairly sure he subsequently corrected himself.

The Flight Management Systems in this context are, put simply, an interface the ATCOs use as part of their job.

Thanks thought they were salivating over more remote tower nonsense !

Wouldn't have surprised me with HIAL being heavily entrenched !

Edited by asitis

8 hours ago, Kopek said:

Again, I profess my lack of knowledge on this matter but try to afford an alternative view to the usual!

It’s good to try and see both sides but the scenario you described in your previous post just does not apply to any of the ATCOs who have resigned in the past eighteen months.  Credible sources are suggesting that they have left due to management issues at the airport, not personal economical reasons. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Molly Coddle said:

It’s good to try and see both sides but the scenario you described in your previous post just does not apply to any of the ATCOs who have resigned in the past eighteen months.  Credible sources are suggesting that they have left due to management issues at the airport, not personal economical reasons. 

The large grey pachyderm in the room which no one will deal with !

• Like 1