Airport.

Billy kettlefish

The best thing I remember about the airport lounge is not how it looked or the snacks/beverage's they served, it was there were planes at the gates going to various place i myself wanted to go to. Also the timetable was generally adhered so could plan onward travel quite reliably, not have to head off island three days ahead to make sure I could go on the holiday that has cost the best of £9,000.

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, Dirty Buggane said:

…head off island three days ahead to make sure I could go on the holiday that has cost the best of £9,000.

Doing this is now absolutely commonplace; I do it, as do a large majority of my friends/acquaintances, and friends of family members. It serves to illustrate the extreme fragility of our air services. 

• Like 7

I have no confidence in the reliability of air travel from the island, the last time I used the airline they decided they would no longer fly to Manchester (Easyjet) and had to fly to Liverpool and taxi up. This was the last time I flew from the island choosing to ferry and take the car, or foot passenger and taxi to train as lugging holiday luggage is never a good start. Unless you like arguments and arriving knackered as the start to your holiday, which has not been unknown 😁.

Edited by Dirty Buggane
  • Like 2

I haven’t flown in or out of Ronaldsway in twelve years. I stopped when, despite paying a fortune to cross the water, my partner was bawled at by Airport Police for having the audacity to drop me off at the door when the parking spaces were full. When I was treated like shit by unpleasant and intimidating security, and on occasion, by the desk staff. When the simple process of boarding became a two hour queue and my newly bought shampoo was thrown in the bin. When the grumpy bastard in the bar who charged me a fiver for a warm flat pint and made me feel like he was doing me a favour for it. It wasn’t always like that but, it seemed, that as the layers of incompetent management increased, the general feelings of bonhomie decreased, in staff and passengers alike, and it became somewhere that became a chore to deal with instead of the exciting event that it once was. So I stopped using it. Never say never and all that, but I can’t see that the appointment of yet another pointless 50k advertising manager is going to change my mind anytime soon. 

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

A question. Precisely WHO has decided that we need a new £50k pa advertising person when, as @Amadeus has posted, the remit would appear to be already more than covered in the JD of the Commercial Manager?

Person and realistic grounds would be appreciated from anybody in the know. I say realistic to cut out any bull about raising revenue, which should already be being done under current staffing.

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Auntie Depressant said:

I haven’t flown in or out of Ronaldsway in twelve years. I stopped when, despite paying a fortune to cross the water, my partner was bawled at by Airport Police for having the audacity to drop me off at the door when the parking spaces were full. When I was treated like shit by unpleasant and intimidating security, and on occasion, by the desk staff. When the simple process of boarding became a two hour queue and my newly bought shampoo was thrown in the bin. When the grumpy bastard in the bar who charged me a fiver for a warm flat pint and made me feel like he was doing me a favour for it. It wasn’t always like that but, it seemed, that as the layers of incompetent management increased, the general feelings of bonhomie decreased, in staff and passengers alike, and it became somewhere that became a chore to deal with instead of the exciting event that it once was. So I stopped using it. Never say never and all that, but I can’t see that the appointment of yet another pointless 50k advertising manager is going to change my mind anytime soon. 

Some people pretty much have to use it and at least security seems to have improved slightly in recent times. I mean the way they treat people. Seems more polite now than before, which makes a big difference. Maybe I was just lucky, but I would hope not. 

Sadly the departure lounge experience is still abysmal and I can’t understand how the whole place was allowed to fall into such a state of disrepair. Ok, I think I can actually, when you have management more interested in boosting their CVs than actually doing the job they get paid for. Painting idiotic green and red lines over a dirty car park right next to faded street signs and wildly growing weeds really summed up the quality of management there recently. 

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Dirty Buggane said:

I have no confidence in the reliability of air travel from the island, the last time I used the airline they decided they would no longer fly to Manchester (Easyjet) and had to fly to Liverpool and taxi up. This was the last time I flew from the island choosing to ferry and take the car, or foot passenger and taxi to train as lugging holiday luggage is never a good start. Unless you like arguments and arriving knackered as the start to your holiday, which has not been unknown 😁.

All you had to do was book Loganair to Manchester and submit an expenses claim

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Auntie Depressant said:

I haven’t flown in or out of Ronaldsway in twelve years. I stopped when, despite paying a fortune to cross the water, my partner was bawled at by Airport Police for having the audacity to drop me off at the door when the parking spaces were full. When I was treated like shit by unpleasant and intimidating security, and on occasion, by the desk staff. When the simple process of boarding became a two hour queue and my newly bought shampoo was thrown in the bin. When the grumpy bastard in the bar who charged me a fiver for a warm flat pint and made me feel like he was doing me a favour for it. 

Nice to see you don’t hold a grudge!

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

Sadly the departure lounge experience is still abysmal and I can’t understand how the whole place was allowed to fall into such a state of disrepair. 

well it shouldn't  really be considered a departure lounge anymore though,  it is just a holding pen ,  i wouldn't be rushing to get airside if i was due to fly out

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Nice to see you don’t hold a grudge!

It’s not a grudge. I only have one rule in life and that’s ‘don’t be a dick’. Sadly the airport seems to be a breeding ground for them. 

ETA -  I don’t include flight staff or ATC in my rule. For them, I have nothing but sympathy. 

Edited by Auntie Depressant
  • Like 2

39 minutes ago, Non-Believer said:

A question. Precisely WHO has decided that we need a new £50k pa advertising person when, as @Amadeus has posted, the remit would appear to be already more than covered in the JD of the Commercial Manager?

Person and realistic grounds would be appreciated from anybody in the know. I say realistic to cut out any bull about raising revenue, which should already be being done under current staffing.

Maybe the HIAL commercial neds had something to do with it who knows 

Edited by asitis
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mad_manx said:

Had been okay for a few months during  summer with new staff.. Don't know what happened..

Probably other places paid more. Can’t see anyone staying working there for minimum wage and a crap environment and the likely travel and early starts involved. Having said that was a girl working in the Costa the other week and she was first class and very quick. Bet she’s gone already .

Edited by Numbnuts
  • Like 1