Airport.

Billy kettlefish

Not totally relevant but I was watching a Culture Vannin programme on Youtube about tourism.  It had an excerpt from a 1949 film which stated quite clearly that at that time Ronaldsway held the UK record for the most aircraft movements in a single day(!).

Does anyone if that is true?  Seems farfetched to me...

Holiday Isle: A history of tourism in the Isle of Man - YouTube  44 minutes in

1 minute ago, Ghost Ship said:

Not totally relevant but I was watching a Culture Vannin programme on Youtube about tourism.  It had an excerpt from a 1949 film which stated quite clearly that at that time Ronaldsway held the UK record for the most aircraft movements in a single day(!).

Yes. For quite a time it was the busiest commercial airport

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Ghost Ship said:

Probably the same magic abacus DOI use to count choo choo train passengers that don't actually exist. 

• Like 1

Spotted one of the airports new  fire tenders  heading towards Braddan bridge the other day. Big unit all yellow and looked pretty impressive tbh . Think they have 3 or 4 of them . Was told that they've  had them for awhile but DOI hadn't signed them over so maybe it was heading to test center , who knows ! . 

Edited by Numbnuts

37 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Spotted one of the airports new  fire tenders  heading towards Braddan bridge the other day. Big unit all yellow and looked pretty impressive tbh . Think they have 3 or 4 of them . Was told that they've  had them for awhile but DOI hadn't signed them over so maybe it was heading to test center , who knows ! . 

On its way to wash away the graffiti off the Prom and overspill from the roundels?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/15/2021 at 11:18 PM, Numbnuts said:

Ah, the ones they had to build the larger garage for because they were bigger than the old ones.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Ah, the ones they had to build the larger garage for because they were bigger than the old ones.

It was very big !! Impressive tbh but sounds right . Bit like the Police station that they couldnt get the vehice in used for transporting prisioners 

2 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

It was very big !! Impressive tbh but sounds right . Bit like the Police station that they couldnt get the vehice in used for transporting prisioners 

The entrance to the cells at the courthouse round the back behind CGO was too low. Apparently the young lady from the architects who had been sent to measure the transfer van hadn't realised the roof domed towards the middle (more headroom for passageway between internal cells).

The opening was unable be raised as the structure was holding up the roof of the below ground car park. So they had to excavate the ground out, which then required alterations to the power cables and drainage running under it. I still remember watching as the van sat outside and the various parties measured and remeasured in some vain hope there was a magical solution. There wasn't.

• Haha 2

20 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

The entrance to the cells at the courthouse round the back behind CGO was too low. Apparently the young lady from the architects who had been sent to measure the transfer van hadn't realised the roof domed towards the middle (more headroom for passageway between internal cells).

The opening was unable be raised as the structure was holding up the roof of the below ground car park. So they had to excavate the ground out, which then required alterations to the power cables and drainage running under it. I still remember watching as the van sat outside and the various parties measured and remeasured in some vain hope there was a magical solution. There wasn't.

It wasn’t the vehicle having a dome, more not taking into account what happens to the height of the vehicle above the floor  level, and thus clearance required,  when the front wheels hit the level ground at the bottom of the slope entrance to the Government car park. There aren’t any buildings on top. There may be services, but it’s under the square in front of the court and to the side of the wedding room.

12 minutes ago, CallMeCurious said:

I hear on the bush telegraph  that the Corpy don't have a cherry picker  that stretches high enough to commission the new promenade street lights ,  so how they are going to be Maintained  or lights replaced is anyones guess ,

Just now, Omobono said:

I hear on the bush telegraph  that the Corpy don't have a cherry picker  that stretches high enough to commission the new promenade street lights ,  so how they are going to be Maintained  or lights replaced is anyones guess ,

Apprentice strapped to a drone? Specially trained seagulls? Or hire HSS or the like at £500+ a day? On the bright side, they will be superduper LED save-the-planet fittings so will last a gazillion years. Until they don't.

Won't they be DoI lamposts now?

5 minutes ago, Omobono said:

Use one of the Gibb brothers in the existing Cherry picker.

Stood near them at the weekend and those boys are well tall, and at about 57k each cost about the same as a corpy boy on overtime.

• Haha 2