Airport.

Billy kettlefish

12 hours ago, Two-lane said:

"Late passengers' to blame for missed Manchester flight, says airport":

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/late-passengers-to-blame-for-missed-manchester-flight-says-airport/

"However, in a statement issued to Manx Radio, a spokesman says unfortunately some passengers still arrived too late to allow enough time to get through security."

"Passengers have also been reminded to re-familiarise themselves with the requirements for flying to avoid delays in future."

From the airport website:

"Check-in times can vary depending on your type of flight, so please arrive with a sufficient amount of spare time to pass through check-in and security. Checking-in times can usually be found on your individual ticket or itinerary, or alternatively by contacting your airline directly."

There is no definition of the "sufficient time" required.

I wondre if any passengers will issue a point by point rebuttal

• Haha 5

......3 on a Friday.

FRI 22APR22 ISLE OF MAN/LONDON

1 IOM LGW 0945 1100  U2 852                      

2 IOM LGW 1820 1935  U2 854                        

3 IOM LGW 2105 2220  U2 856  

13 hours ago, Two-lane said:

"Late passengers' to blame for missed Manchester flight, says airport":

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/late-passengers-to-blame-for-missed-manchester-flight-says-airport/

"However, in a statement issued to Manx Radio, a spokesman says unfortunately some passengers still arrived too late to allow enough time to get through security."

"Passengers have also been reminded to re-familiarise themselves with the requirements for flying to avoid delays in future."

From the airport website:

"Check-in times can vary depending on your type of flight, so please arrive with a sufficient amount of spare time to pass through check-in and security. Checking-in times can usually be found on your individual ticket or itinerary, or alternatively by contacting your airline directly."

There is no definition of the "sufficient time" required.

As you say there is no definition of "sufficient time" and spokesman saying that "unfortunately some passengers still arrived too late to allow enough time to get through security." is totally meaningless and pointless. We know that, they missed their flights.  The statement does not address the point whether the time they allowed was reasonable and the delay was due to the security being unjustifiably slow or whether the passengers were cutting it fine and got caught out. 

Based on the spokesman's statement if I arrive 3 hours before a flight and it takes 4hrs to get through security then it would still me my fault for arriving too late to allow enough time to get through security.

With the size of the airport, aircraft, number of flights etc it should never take longer than 30 minutes to pass through security in my view. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

As you say there is no definition of "sufficient time" and spokesman saying that "unfortunately some passengers still arrived too late to allow enough time to get through security." is totally meaningless and pointless. We know that, they missed their flights.  The statement does not address the point whether the time they allowed was reasonable and the delay was due to the security being unjustifiably slow or whether the passengers were cutting it fine and got caught out. 

Based on the spokesman's statement if I arrive 3 hours before a flight and it takes 4hrs to get through security then it would still me my fault for arriving too late to allow enough time to get through security.

With the size of the airport, aircraft, number of flights etc it should never take longer than 30 minutes to pass through security in my view. 

You are being generous there I think, 15min should be the maximum time to get through security they should be meeting for such a small regional airport. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Manxweegie said:

Not if 100+ people all turn up 15min before hand.

It is not rocket science. Generally the biggest plane that that operate from the IoM are the Easyjet ones which, I think, hold about 160. To get that number through over an hour you need to be able to process 3 a minute.  If you cannot do that number then you need additional lanes open.

I have no idea the number that, on average, can be expected to be processed in an hour but surely the airport know and flight departures should be agreed accordingly. If you can only get 250 through in say an hour then you don't have a timetable which sees potentially up to 500 people booked to depart across several flight a few minutes apart.  

6 hours ago, cheesypeas said:

......3 on a Friday.

FRI 22APR22 ISLE OF MAN/LONDON

1 IOM LGW 0945 1100  U2 852                      

2 IOM LGW 1820 1935  U2 854                        

3 IOM LGW 2105 2220  U2 856  

U2 854 has just been added to the schedule

16 hours ago, Lost Login said:

It is not rocket science. Generally the biggest plane that that operate from the IoM are the Easyjet ones which, I think, hold about 160. To get that number through over an hour you need to be able to process 3 a minute.  If you cannot do that number then you need additional lanes open.

I have no idea the number that, on average, can be expected to be processed in an hour but surely the airport know and flight departures should be agreed accordingly. If you can only get 250 through in say an hour then you don't have a timetable which sees potentially up to 500 people booked to depart across several flight a few minutes apart.  

Ronaldsway seem to operate on a basis of one passenger through security every 2 minutes (or a bit more if it's the full body cavity check being carried out).

34 minutes ago, Mikimoto said:

So still no sign of anything from LCY/LHR to avoid the hell that is Gatwick?!

A completely ridiculous state of affairs at certain times in the summer period there is currently only one flight a day to London . It is beyond credulity how the island has been left in this situation the government and airport officials need to get a resolution in place fast ! 

• Like 1