Airport.

Billy kettlefish

2 hours ago, asitis said:

The good news, if there is any, is the new director whoever that may be, will not be encumbered with this imbecile, and hopefully can inject new life into all areas !

Unfortunately, the new director will be selected by the same people who carefully selected the previous director,  Black, Couch, Longworth, Magson etc.

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 4

1 hour ago, WTF said:

i've put your name down, 😉   

Difficult to know how I could do any worse ! surely it needs common sense and priority .......

Is the infrastructure working as it should .......... No .......  Get stuff maintained and working.

Are we welcoming passengers and getting them onto aircraft ........ No ..... Officious staff need curtailing whoever they work for !

Are we welcoming visiting aircraft of all types ........ No, sort handling agents and excessive charging !

Is the winter into wind runway available for lighter aircraft of all types ...... No ......   why the unacceptable delay ? One explanation is Easy Jet don't need it, and no other aircraft are sexy enough for it to be a priority.

Are we making best use of reasonable charging which people will pay .... No, car parks etc !

Do people feel it is a friendly and welcoming atmosphere when they do get here ... No

Are we supporting ATC in staffing and development ..... No

I see the above as absolute priorities for the new director, easy fixes some of it, a little more difficult others but none of them require dreaming of shiny new things and spouting bullshit about being Heathrow on Sea.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I’ve just had the misfortune to experience Ronaldsway. Jesus! What a embarrassment.

The security is a train crash, facilities are dire, the organisation of the landing form checking is a joke, and baggage handling..I fitted in a 20 minute phone call between getting through “Border Control (yessir)” and my case arriving.

God help us in TT.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Two-lane said:

Unfortunately, the new director will be selected by the same people who carefully selected the previous director,  Black, Couch, Longworth, Magson etc.

With the aptitude selection process being centred on who can spin the most baseless bullshit. As is increasingly the case within Govt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

14 hours ago, NoTailT said:

Rumour has it he's heading back to the motherland as he's experienced hate for the fact he is Russian.

His stupid Twitter 'calling for peace' and 'diplomatic resolutions' rather than actually condemning his motherland.

Do we know where his motherland is? 

13 hours ago, asitis said:

At the risk of banging on we need someone who wants to run our airport, not someone who wants to build a new airport so they can run it ! The two who have gone, didn't want to be bothered with the "managing" of an airport, they wanted to be  involved in bigger things. Somewhere they forgot what an airport is for !

It needs making customer focused, visitor friendly and a pleasant experience for all who use the place. For the past few years everything has been an uphill battle, from getting stuff maintained to any interaction with the top corridor. Of the current new Government posts the directors one is probably the most important for the island at the moment, and I sincerely hope they look at the dross they did appoint, and vow not to make the same mistakes again !

And the Head of Security needs bringing in-house.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/4/2022 at 7:44 PM, madmanxpilot said:

The place certainly needs sorting out. The priority of any new incumbent must be to make the facility as user friendly to passengers and airlines as possible rather than wasting money on vanity projects. 

Hopefully someone with some real aviation experience and management skills can be found to step into the breach PDQ.

Would it help if whoever was appointed actually had the guts to stand up to Easyjet rather than simply appearing to agree with whatever they want in case they pull out. Security appears to struggle to cope with the numbers for one Easyjet flight so why on a Friday evening has the airport agreed to a schedule seeing two depart within 30 minutes of each other?

I was at the airport last night and apparently the Gatwick Easyjet was slightly early and the Liverpool slightly late. There was also a Loganair flight from Liverpool which was basically on time. I was hanging around for the latter. Not sure how true it is but I was advised that there were only 5 ground staff on duty and Easyjet got priority as there are penalties if they are not turned around within a set amount of time. Not sure if those penalties are with the Airport, ground handlers or both. Fair enough if Easjyjet are on time but why should they get priority if late over another operator who is on time. The above was from somebody who seemed to have links with somebody who works for Loganair so might need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Many of the problems that I experience at the airport as a traveller seem to be something a decent manager with a bit of back bone and common sense could resolve. There may be areas from the operation side where aviation experience would be necessary but as a member of the public I would not recognise these and sorting out the public issues would be a start including modifying the open skies policy so that on certain routes e.g. Liverpool, London and Manchester anybody can fly but you must do a minimum of two rotations a day. One at the start of the day and the other after say 6:00pm. 

• Like 9

42 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Would it help if whoever was appointed actually had the guts to stand up to Easyjet rather than simply appearing to agree with whatever they want in case they pull out. Security appears to struggle to cope with the numbers for one Easyjet flight so why on a Friday evening has the airport agreed to a schedule seeing two depart within 30 minutes of each other?

I was at the airport last night and apparently the Gatwick Easyjet was slightly early and the Liverpool slightly late. There was also a Loganair flight from Liverpool which was basically on time. I was hanging around for the latter. Not sure how true it is but I was advised that there were only 5 ground staff on duty and Easyjet got priority as there are penalties if they are not turned around within a set amount of time. Not sure if those penalties are with the Airport, ground handlers or both. Fair enough if Easjyjet are on time but why should they get priority if late over another operator who is on time. The above was from somebody who seemed to have links with somebody who works for Loganair so might need to be taken with a pinch of salt.

Many of the problems that I experience at the airport as a traveller seem to be something a decent manager with a bit of back bone and common sense could resolve. There may be areas from the operation side where aviation experience would be necessary but as a member of the public I would not recognise these and sorting out the public issues would be a start including modifying the open skies policy so that on certain routes e.g. Liverpool, London and Manchester anybody can fly but you must do a minimum of two rotations a day. One at the start of the day and the other after say 6:00pm. 

You've hit the nail on the head with the Open Skies Policy. Airlines can come and go when it suits them, rather than when it's best for the airport and the travelling public. 

The Open Skies Policy is not for Airport Management to change, but they do advise the policymakers and liase with the Airlines.

The needs of the Island must be put before the needs of the Airline. If they can't run services at times to suit us, then they shouldn't be allowed to steal business from those that can - and do.

Edited by madmanxpilot
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3