Airport.

Billy kettlefish

14 hours ago, asitis said:

Is the infrastructure working as it should .......... No .......  Get stuff maintained and working.

Are we welcoming passengers and getting them onto aircraft ........ No ..... Officious staff need curtailing whoever they work for !

It's actually a delight to discover that there are still others who think that way. I'd assumed that it was now accepted that airports had to to be a hateful experience, akin to something between arrest, crossing the Soviet border and dealing with the corrupt gendarmerie of a 'shithole' country. Keep that up and I may even consider air travel again.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

15 hours ago, Manx Bean said:

I fitted in a 20 minute phone call between getting through “Border Control (yessir)” and my case arriving.

Luxury, lad! I regailed a tale here of an evening a week or so before Xmas when it took 55 mins after landing for baggage to arrive from the Easy evening Gatwick.

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Lost Login said:

Would it help if whoever was appointed actually had the guts to stand up to Easyjet

The lust our politicians had to attract easy jet in 2006 and onwards, has cost the taxpayer upwards of 100 million pounds. Whether that wad was worth it is very debatable. I mean realistically you can get a tin shed on Merseyside for 100 million !

Why no one has ever been able to accept that we are a small market airport on an island, with a limited passenger base is beyond me, and it is for that reason that we keep messing up with who we employ and how the place is run. I'm all for making the very most of what we have to offer but fantasy land is costing us millions every year !

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Lost Login said:

[...]Security appears to struggle to cope with the numbers for one Easyjet flight so why on a Friday evening has the airport agreed to a schedule seeing two depart within 30 minutes of each other?

[...] would be a start including modifying the open skies policy so that on certain routes e.g. Liverpool, London and Manchester anybody can fly but you must do a minimum of two rotations a day. One at the start of the day and the other after say 6:00pm. 

So you're complaining about easyJet and other airlines having too many flights close to each other in the evenings.  And then demanding that easyJet (and other airlines) must put on more flights in the evenings.  You've not really thought this one through.

The phenomenon of flights being clustered at the start and the end of the day isn't a new one or unique to the Isle of Man.  It predates the arrival of easyJet.   It happens because those are the times people want to fly at - and indeed sail at if you look at the boat times .  They want to maximise the amount of time they have at their destination or moving on from there.  Neither the airlines nor the passengers would be happy if the Airport/Government told them when or when they couldn't fly.

24 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

So you're complaining about easyJet and other airlines having too many flights close to each other in the evenings.  And then demanding that easyJet (and other airlines) must put on more flights in the evenings.  You've not really thought this one through.

The phenomenon of flights being clustered at the start and the end of the day isn't a new one or unique to the Isle of Man.  It predates the arrival of easyJet.   It happens because those are the times people want to fly at - and indeed sail at if you look at the boat times .  They want to maximise the amount of time they have at their destination or moving on from there.  Neither the airlines nor the passengers would be happy if the Airport/Government told them when or when they couldn't fly.

Somebody said there are something like 14 movements at most at present per day so why have two Easy jet departures 30 mins apart. If the early one moved 15 mins forward and the later one back 15 mins you give more chance for security to cope. I appreciate there has always been an issue but it is exasperated by the easyjet planes being larger and neatly always near capacity.

It goes back to an earlier point which is they need to work out the number security and ground handling can cope with over an hour and plan accordingly. Better one depart at 7:00am, 8:00am and 09:00am than at 7:30am, 8:00am and 08:30am

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Somebody said there are something like 14 movements at most at present per day so why have two Easy jet departures 30 mins apart. If the early one moved 15 mins forward and the later one back 15 mins you give more chance for security to cope. I appreciate there has always been an issue but it is exasperated by the easyjet planes being larger and neatly always near capacity.

It goes back to an earlier point which is they need to work out the number security and ground handling can cope with over an hour and plan accordingly. Better one depart at 7:00am, 8:00am and 09:00am than at 7:30am, 8:00am and 08:30am

we are the little airport that can be bullied by sleazyjet ,  we might be able to move them 15 minutes either way this end, but the big proper airports that they fly to or arrive from have real levels of air traffic to schedule so fitting in the other end is the issue for us here.

17 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Except, and with any airline, we get the arrival and departure times that suit the airline, based on other routes and rotations, availability of staff, planes etc.

And scrapping open skies will make no difference. No airline has to fly marginal routes. If we won’t accept at the time they want, they won’t fly here.

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

I would respectfully suggest you have not thought it through! The poster is suggesting more than 30 minute gaps between flights coming and going an evening can be from 5pm to 9pm that's a wide window to work within. Of course its dependant on slots at the other end but has anyone even tried to work with the airlines to space them out?

And your point is interesting re the times people want to fly its all the more reason why the current Easyjet schedule is not really what the island needs when you take into account with a once daily London service several of the flights are in the middle of the day. Hardly customer friendly! 

• Like 1

Those of us who are old enough to remember before Manx Airlines, and recall, BA, BEA, BUA, Dan Air, Cambrian, BMA, British Island, and dozens more, that came, and went, with monotonous regularity, even although we didn’t have open skies, will understand, Covid apart, we’ve only had two extended periods of service stability in 50 years. They were Manx and Easy/Flybe periods.

Why, because we are a small market.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

Those of us who are old enough to remember before Manx Airlines, and recall, BA, BEA, BUA, Dan Air, Cambrian, BMA, British Island, and dozens more, that came, and went, with monotonous regularity, even although we didn’t have open skies, will understand, Covid apart, we’ve only had two extended periods of service stability in 50 years. They were Manx and Easy/Flybe periods.

Why, because we are a small market.

Yes it is a smaller market and in the past there have been too many airlines  given the size working with a smaller number of operators is likely to provide the best outcome . I do think though that we need to move away from this narrative which implies airlines will just disappear and leave no flights at all and we are totally at their behest.  Right now they are desperate to restore profitability after covid and see secure markets which the island is as being quite attractive. I would hesitate a guess that the EasyJet Gatwick service right now is the most profitable in their network . It’s the job of the Airports Director to negotiate and navigate with the airlines through this and I would suggest that has just not happened enough in recent years . 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Except, and with any airline, we get the arrival and departure times that suit the airline, based on other routes and rotations, availability of staff, planes etc.

And scrapping open skies will make no difference. No airline has to fly marginal routes. If we won’t accept at the time they want, they won’t fly here.

I agree that no airline has to fly marginal routes but equally if Easyjet stepped away on the Liverpool, London and Manchester routes I expect that somebody else would step in. As you are aware Easyjet's model is to fly 90%+ capacity and the best way to achieve that is by hoovering up enough of the market that demand exceeds supply but not by enough to make it economical for another supplier to step into the market place.

Easyjet may equal cheaper flights but it it also equates to less flights and as an Island where flying is a means of travel I believe the flight schedules are as important as price. The IoM appears to only, at present, be bothered about the former.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John Wright said:

But it will.

Without the Open Skies Policy you could ensure that the market isn't saturated, the airlines that do operate will have enough business to make the routes viable without charging sky high fares.

In return for this exclusivity, the Airline(s) would have to enter into a Public Service Obligation type agreement with the IOM Government to operate services to various destinations at agreed times. They could even be made to open a base here, guaranteeing local employment for pilots and cabin crew.

This happens in the UK already on various routes.

The IOM really needs to ditch these pie in the sky ideas about having millions passing though the airport each year. The Airport is there to provide a vital link to the adjacent Isle, nothing more, nothing less.

Bin Open Skies, take control so we can satisfy our own requirements first and FFS upgrade the landing aids to give aircraft a better chance of getting in with bad weather before wasting money on vanity projects.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 4

Same old whiners on here all the time. easyJet flight that I took yesterday was almost full. Loganair today half full. 

If you don't want easyJet that's fine and up to you. But alot of people do want easyJet and are voting with their feet.  I suggest those of you who want prop operators had better buy some tickets and step away from the keyboard

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

6 minutes ago, snowman said:

Same old whiners on here all the time. easyJet flight that I took yesterday was almost full. Loganair today half full. 

If you don't want easyJet that's fine and up to you. But alot of people do want easyJet and are voting with their feet.  I suggest those of you who want prop operators had better buy some tickets and step away from the keyboard

Maybe you have more flexibility in the times you travel  than others I want more than one flight a day to London and at consistent times with early morning departure and evening .  If EasyJet want to do that then fine . I guess in your case as long as you get what you want you don’t care about the needs of the whiners don’t matter as you like to put it !