Youth Gone Wild in Onchan

It is as reported this morning in the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece Manx Radio this morning that the toilets in Onchan Park have been vandalised. Only a few weeks ago, the toilet and changing facilities at Onchan FC were trashed, at Blackberry Lane. Sad state of society and telling really of how feral Onchans Youth have evolved. Again, little coverage of this damage apart from mention in the press and radio, and nothing much mentioned by the People’s Prince in his weekly blog. Perhaps folk have a thing for toilets in Onchan. Some would argue that Onchan has really gone down the toilet. 

16 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

If the vandals are under 16 the police won't/can't do anything about it. Do we even have juvenile courts any more ? There's been a huge vandalism problem in Onchan for years with much hand-wringing and very little done about it.

Since they did away with the cop-shop in the village this type of behaviour has increased. Not having a bobby on the street results in this kind of shit. I've said it before and I'll say it again.... when a bobby is doing his rounds he picks up info about what's going on and who's likely to be involved. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 3

Let's hope forensics can lift dabs off that energy-drink can. Appalling behaviour. My kids grew up in Onchan and there was one kid who terrorised the other younger kids, all sorts of allegations were made against him and this at his age 8. When he picked on my kids (punching and kicking them) I grabbed him by the scruff of the neck and marched him around to his (single) mother who, ashamed and visibly upset, said he was out of control and couldn't do anything to discipline him. Since that time I've noticed that he's consistently been in and out of adolescent units and prison for assault, drunk and disorderly, class A drug-dealing and possession.

Who's to blame? 

• Like 4

33 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

Since they did away with the cop-shop in the village this type of behaviour has increased. Not having a bobby on the street results in this kind of shit. I've said it before and I'll say it again.... when a bobby is doing his rounds he picks up info about what's going on and who's likely to be involved. 

I agree with you - but here's the other side of the argument:

"The days of the 'bobby on the beat' in Oxford are officially now a thing of the past, a top city police officer has said.

Acting Inspector Neil Applegarth, head of neighbourhood policing in Oxford, has said a targeted approach is more effective at tackling crime.

Mr Applegarth, who is based at St Aldates Police Station, said that modern-day efforts were directed towards more focussed police work."

https://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/news/16390238.top-oxford-cop-says-bobby-beat-thing-past/

It's the age old tension between what the public would like to see (bobbies on the beat), vs "efficiency" as defined by the bean-counters (who probably live in nice areas where the toilets all work).

Edited by BallaDoc
  • Thanks 3

1 hour ago, Andy Onchan said:

Little bit of myth, there were 1 or 2 officers in Onchan and especially on an evening shift they would generally be called into Douglas to deal with things. Vandalism still occurred.

• Like 1

Just now, thommo2010 said:

Little bit of myth, there were 1 or 2 officers in Onchan and especially on an evening shift they would generally be called into Douglas to deal with things. Vandalism still occurred.

But they knew who caused it. That's the difference and the point I was making. Now? No clue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

It is as reported this morning in the Nations Propaganda Mouthpiece Manx Radio this morning that the toilets in Onchan Park have been vandalised. Only a few weeks ago, the toilet and changing facilities at Onchan FC were trashed, at Blackberry Lane. Sad state of society and telling really of how feral Onchans Youth have evolved. Again, little coverage of this damage apart from mention in the press and radio, and nothing much mentioned by the People’s Prince in his weekly blog. Perhaps folk have a thing for toilets in Onchan. Some would argue that Onchan has really gone down the toilet. 

I am not really one to defend Rob callister but you have to give him a bit of slack, this happened yesterday and he doesn't do his blog until the weekend.