Youth Gone Wild in Onchan

21 minutes ago, John Wright said:

It’s to prioritise emergency calls. It’s not specifically to make callers to 631212 wait. Although that is the frequent unintended consequence.

OK, I see. (Sorry to go on, but it is an important matter of course).

There is about, on average, a call to 999 every 10-15 minutes which can take say 10 minutes to deal with.

So not unreasonable to assume that length of time to answer 631212 is due to priority of a 999 call.

The 999 response time is excellent (target 5 sec, achieves 1.5 secs). In which case, I would expect at least occasionally to have a 631212 - when it is finally answered - to be dropped immediately for a priority 999 call. But that has never happened. ie 999 call is compromised due to a "cat up tree" call.

Source:

https://www.gov.im/about-the-government/departments/home-affairs/communications-division/emergency-services-joint-control-room/

Edited by Barlow
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Boris Johnson said:

This crap that they have nothing to entertain them is just that, crap

I grew up in a small, very small, village in England and there was no entertainment laid on.

What did I do?

Go out and terrorise pensioners ?

No.

My mates and I spent a couple of summer holidays building a BMX type track in a local park, with shovels and this was before BMX hit England.

We also did things like camping and dam building in rivers, stuff like that. 

Agreed , grew up over here and totally did the same sort of things . Somehow everything seems to have to cost these days and has to involve electronics and the likes. Its also killing the art of conversation . So glad I grew up in the mid 50's onwards. I will give it that back in the day we had far more places to go to play,ride bikes , build dams and dens and the likes .

The normal phone number at Police head quarters is a disgrace and no excuse for it. I would suggest the every 10 to 15 mins 999 call has alot to do with the fact the 631212 just doesnt get picked up. Rang so many times over the years due to issues in the cul de sac where I live and always had to wait at least 25 mins and regularly gave up after fed up of waiting. Now  i wouldnt bother and just ring 999 sadly. Ohh and before you jump on me where I live has been notorious over the years for domestic issues and incidents in the flats and bedsits in the street .     

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

The normal phone number at Police head quarters is a disgrace and no excuse for it. I would suggest the every 10 to 15 mins 999 call has alot to do with the fact the 631212 just doesnt get picked up. Rang so many times over the years due to issues in the cul de sac where I live and always had to wait at least 25 mins and regularly gave up after fed up of waiting. Now  i wouldnt bother and just ring 999 sadly. Ohh and before you jump on me where I live has been notorious over the years for domestic issues and incidents in the flats and bedsits in the street .     

Not jumping on you. Totally understand your frustration and why you would call 999 ( as you say sadly). The 631212 number should be properly resourced.

Just wondering what response ( as in what do they say) you get after ringing 999 for what may be deemed a non emergency call?

2 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Not jumping on you. Totally understand your frustration and why you would call 999 ( as you say sadly). The 631212 number should be properly resourced.

Just wondering what response ( as in what do they say) you get after ringing 999 for what may be deemed a non emergency call?

Probably give you a caution!

5 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

Its always a judgemental issue anyway. I'm pretty sensible and its often been borderline as to who to ring. There was a issue the other day which I intervened in but before I went into the flat I got someone to ring 999 straight away while I went to see if I could help etc. it really wasnt a option this time to ring 631212. Previously when I felt it wouldnt wait and couldnt get through rang 999 and told them why I was . They were fine with it . It wasnt a cat in a tree type of incident . 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Its always a judgemental issue anyway. I'm pretty sensible and its often been borderline as to who to ring. There was a issue the other day which I intervened in but before I went into the flat I got someone to ring 999 straight away while I went to see if I could help etc. it really wasnt a option this time to ring 631212. Previously when I felt it wouldnt wait and couldnt get through rang 999 and told them why I was . They were fine with it . It wasnt a cat in a tree type of incident . 

Thanks 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

Sounds like you need to move!

57 minutes ago, Numbnuts said:

If the problems are consistent maybe go into hq or your nearest station if you're out of town during the day, also speak with the council if the flats are council owned

Starting to go a little off topic (sorry), but try using a power tool in your garage after 9pm round our way and the police (after a call from a neighbour) are calling round telling you stop by 9:05pm.

ETA:

might be a slight exaggeration but the point still stands.

Edited by Barlow

5 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Starting to go a little off topic (sorry), but try using a power tool in your garage after 9pm round our way and the police (after a call from a neighbour) are calling round telling you stop by 9:05pm.

ETA:

might be a slight exaggeration but the point still stands.

How very dare you! But it's fine to go and give someone a hiding!