Youth Gone Wild in Onchan

3 hours ago, John Wright said:

I’m not condoning what the kids did. But I think many of you are harsh, calling them scrotes, or describing them as feral, and suggesting you were little angels, who only ever did wholesome, constructive, things.

Where I grew up, born 66 years ago, knock door run, treacle on door and gate handles, and mischief night were prevalent. And it was a pleasant, quiet, respectable, middle class neighbourhood.

Most places have these traditions. They haven’t died out. They’re more diffuse, less seasonally specific.

We played ball games in the street. It wasn’t a through road. But it upset neighbours. Opposite my parents house was an unfenced, overgrown, vacant plot. We played. The owner sat in her upstairs back bedroom, watched, shouted at us, and occasionally called the police.

I don’t see much difference.

Well, being one of those who used the epithet, when I was a child we did get up to mischief, but if an adult shouted or confronted us, we would turn tail and run.  We didn't  face up to them and the big dread was that our parents would find out, there would be big trouble then!

It was the norm that any adult would correct bad behaviour,  and you didn't challenge that, you might mumble and grumble. There were also 'known' houses that you just knew it would be unwise to go near, because the owner (usually an elderly person) would be quick to come out and chase you away, backed up with threats that a report would go straight back to your parents. 

On the other hand, if you had a mishap, a fall or were being bullied by other kids or something, invariably an adult would come to help and comfort and see you safely home.  Now, that kind of communal protection is applauded as an exceptional display of extraordinary compassion, not ordinary behaviour.

A memory of my own childhood was when walking up Berkeley Street lane with my Mum, she stopped and gasped at the sight of a little lad painfully hobbling along ahead of us.  She was concerned that he was hurt, but on closer examination he had his shoes in the wrong feet.  She sat him down on the kerb, swapped his shoes and off he went, cured!

Now, if she had seen the same boy taunting an old lady, or throwing stones indiscriminately, she would have also told him to stop, probably metaphorically swapped his shoes to help him back on his way. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Great post Gladys. It's that neighbourly sense of community that's been lost, even outlawed. If I'd have been at that woman's house that night I'd have gone out, given the kids a warning and confronted the ringleader; perhaps even straightened him up a bit if he'd been gobby. The police would've been there in half the time and I'd have been led off in the back of the van. It wouldn't have stopped me though. I lost any faith in the law and justice a long time ago. This comes from a sense of what we've lost, not some macho bullshit. 

• Like 6

25 minutes ago, ManxTaxPayer said:

No wonder he was hobbling. 

"Nurse, I can't feel my legs"

"That's because we've amputated your arms"

9 hours ago, John Wright said:

I recently rang 631212 to report, routinely, non urgently, a theft from an estate I’m executor of. I had done all the detective work. List of what was missing, identity of perpetrator, names of witnesses. No need for 999. I’d secured the premises. Wanted to speak to a police officer direct. No, had to go through JSCR, where they triage it and pass on to officers. 7 weeks later nothing done. I’ve got an officers name, phone, e-mail. No feed back. Every e-mail they’re on leave, nights. Phone, there’s no way to leave a message.

Interesting John. I have a similar issue atm (removal of items from the estate of a deceased family member). I chose to visit HO in person to report - I was told by the officer I spoke to that it would be a civil case as the police don't want anything to do with family issues. Disappointed to say the least.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, thommo2010 said:

If the problems are consistent maybe go into hq or your nearest station if you're out of town during the day, also speak with the council if the flats are council owned

Pretty transient occupancy tbh and privately owned premises . Hasn't been so bad in last year or so but previously it was pretty bad with often you guys mob handed to sort out issues.  Private landlords who know the system ! The other week was the first possible major issue for awhile . 

11 hours ago, Barlow said:

Starting to go a little off topic (sorry), but try using a power tool in your garage after 9pm round our way and the police (after a call from a neighbour) are calling round telling you stop by 9:05pm.

i didn't think noise was a legal issue till 11pm

12 hours ago, Gladys said:

Well, being one of those who used the epithet, when I was a child we did get up to mischief, but if an adult shouted or confronted us, we would turn tail and run.  We didn't  face up to them and the big dread was that our parents would find out, there would be big trouble then!

It was the norm that any adult would correct bad behaviour,  and you didn't challenge that, you might mumble and grumble. There were also 'known' houses that you just knew it would be unwise to go near, because the owner (usually an elderly person) would be quick to come out and chase you away, backed up with threats that a report would go straight back to your parents. 

This was highlighted by the recent 'no jumping off piers & swimming in harbours' debacle. 

Speaking from experience in Laxey (and similar story in Pt Erin), jumping off the second pier was never really that much of an issue.  It was on the occasions that you would jump off the first pier or swim across the harbour to the second pier, you might get bollocked by the Harbour Master or Police.  You'd mumble and grumble, but stop swimming in the harbour (at least for a few days or until the harbour master was gone). 

From all the reports it seems that this was the issue again; except when the age old bollocking for swimming across the harbour commenced, the kids shall we say, did not take the bollocking graciously. 

Result = jumping off the piers is banned.   Everyone kicks off, saying "we did it when we were kids" not taking into account that it's not the jumping, but the disrespect and abuse the Harbour Master and Police were receiving. 

The kids aren't scared of authority anymore. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WTF said:

i didn't think noise was a legal issue till 11pm

Interesting. Thanks.

https://www.gov.im/categories/home-and-neighbourhood/affordable-housing/public-sector-housing/your-tenancy/noise-act-2006/

It would have been before this then, when I'm pretty sure the 'cut-off' was 9pm.

12 minutes ago, Last Ten said:

I have one question:

What does the Children's Champion and Onchan MHK have to say in all of this?

He says he does a fine job and that anyone who doesn't think so is reading fake news spread by anonymous trolls on the internet

39 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Result = jumping off the piers is banned.   Everyone kicks off, saying "we did it when we were kids"

One comment I read made the point that a kid hadn't died jumping into the harbour in Port Erin since the 80's.