Youth Gone Wild in Onchan

11 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

In the good old days when kids was always honest, and never did nowt wrong...

👏   It's not acceptable to upset elderly members of our community. 

Edited by Lilly

12 minutes ago, Gladys said:

To be honest,we knew where our kids said they were.  Unless you shadow them, you couldn't be certain. 

Yes, Gladys that's a fair comment.  But l think as a parent we had a fairly good idea where they were and what they were doing.

35 minutes ago, Lilly said:

Yes, Gladys that's a fair comment.  But l think as a parent we had a fairly good idea where they were and what they were doing.

Yes a fairly good idea, but if they said they were going to a mate's house, say, we weren't too sure where they went after that.  The only way to be absolutely sure where they were was to track them in some way.

Much better is to instil in them with how to behave, respect others and their property.  If they do something wrong punish them (not a beating!)  and don't protect them from the consequences of their actions.  

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lilly said:

👏   It's not acceptable to upset elderly members of our community. 

Surely if something is unacceptable behaviour then it applies to all, flashing torches through a window is hardly the crime of the century, do they not have those new fangled curtains?

• Sad 1

11 minutes ago, HiVibes said:

Surely if something is unacceptable behaviour then it applies to all, flashing torches through a window is hardly the crime of the century, do they not have those new fangled curtains?

It is quite intimidating behaviour, no matter the age of the occupants. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Lilly said:

Sheltered housing area in Onchan was subjected to youths shining torches into their homes very recently. The police were very quick to respond, and keen to pursue the youths responsible, requesting video footage etc. 

My question is;  it was dark when this activity was happening, are the parents not aware of the activity of their children later at night?  Surely torches possibly being taken from  their homes would raise questions 🤔.

I always knew where my children was. 

Good to see the police have actually learned the lesson after the poor woman near onchan park was terrorised to death.

https://www.manxradio.com/news/isle-of-man-news/investigation-into-youths-incident-and-onchan-womans-death/

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Lilly said:

My question is;  it was dark when this activity was happening, are the parents not aware of the activity of their children later at night?  Surely torches possibly being taken from  their homes would raise questions 🤔.

You can buy a torch and batteries for a couple of quid from Dealz (other bargain household suppliers are available - and they all sell torches), and most kids will have several.  And it's hardly the most unexpected thing to be carrying around at night.  It's pretty dark by 8pm now - and at this time of year sunset is earlier by about 15 minutes every week.

I have to say that shining a torch is about as low level harassment as you can get - even knocking on the door and running away is more irritating.  But if people are wanting to react they should get a more powerful torch and spotlight the little scrotes.

1 minute ago, Roger Mexico said:

You can buy a torch and batteries for a couple of quid from Dealz (other bargain household suppliers are available - and they all sell torches), and most kids will have several.  And it's hardly the most unexpected thing to be carrying around at night.  It's pretty dark by 8pm now - and at this time of year sunset is earlier by about 15 minutes every week.

I have to say that shining a torch is about as low level harassment as you can get - even knocking on the door and running away is more irritating.  But if people are wanting to react they should get a more powerful torch and spotlight the little scrotes.

Knocking on the door and running away is annoying, but you would normally put it down to kids.

Shining a torch through a window is somewhat more intimidating, I would say.  It wouldn't be an unreasonable reaction to think that some thugs were casing the joint. 

• Like 2

Just about every mobile phone has a built in torch, how many kids nowadays do not have a mobile. Parents need to take responsibility for the little scrotes, Onchan is a small place and kids talk so the constabulary should be on the case quite quickly and name and shame the kids and the parents for not keeping them in check.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

That's someone's private home, if someone came around my property shining a torch through my windows l wouldn't be happy.  

I worked in sheltered housing a few years ago and this type antisocial behaviour is unacceptable. 

I think you may state the obvious above without any thought of the effect this type of behaviour has on residents. 

• Like 3

Once they are old enough to be out and about with their friends, I don't think that we do know what our kids are up to ALL the time?

My Daughter was an Angel but my Son , earlt teens, was brought home by the Police after saving a friend sliding down the Port Jack cliffs. Getting drunk and falling into Laxey river, befriending a troubled kid at Primary school to try to integrate him and getting strangled by him!!! Call to the school to explain and separate them.!!!

So, not always able to track their every move.

For a humorous view that Kids don't always understand the consequences of their actions....

UTube Bob Mortimer, ''Theft and Shrubbery''. Shows the difference in Kids and Adult thinking?

• Like 2