Youth Gone Wild in Onchan

7 hours ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

The Germans do, or at least did, give their children a choice of military national service or a community service. Both of my cousins opted for the latter.

Slightly off topic my German teacher in the late 1970's was a former German Junkers 88 crew member called Ernst Specht. When asked about it he would only say that nowadays he only flew gliders. Powerless flight obviously being the pacifist aviators choice!

The great response you missed there would've been that your dad flew gliders too - into Pegasus Bridge and Arnhem ;)

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
15 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

:lol::lol:..... Quirkio's got himself into hot bother with his fellow commissioners already!: 
https://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/commissioners-speak-out-following-vandalism-comments/

Here's the notice in all its bonkers glory:

image.png.34de6035d6fd4afe0e7f8fc08e4ab391.png

I love the idea that anyone would assume that Quirk was speaking for anyone except himself anyway.  In such cases the fact that someone is a Commissioner is given as extra information 

I also love the idea that the media are forbidden to approach any of the democratically elected members for an interview or information - instead they must go through the Clerk or Chairman.  This is the sort of manic control-freakery that we have recently seen from Christian and Douglas - though of course if it all then blows up he will claim it had nothing to do with him and he knew nothing about it.  Naturally no one will take any notice of these tinpot dictators and go on as normal.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Roger Mexico said:

I also love the idea that the media are forbidden to approach any of the democratically elected members for an interview or information - instead they must go through the Clerk or Chairman.  This is the sort of manic control-freakery that we have recently seen from Christian...

That’s not what the notice says. Is it?

In fact we don’t quite know, yet, what happened at Douglas. The latest twist appears to be Christian blaming advocates. First rule of advocacy and the press is confidentiality, second rule is don’t make statements on behalf of clients, third rule is that if you do then make sure the text and content are agreed and approved by client, preferably in writing.

• Like 1

At least Quirkio spoke out on the continuing scourge of vandalism in Onchan, as he's quite entitled to do - Commissioner or not. He's a private citizen and they don't own him. If I was a Commissioner I'd be kicking someone's ass hard for this. Utter stupidity and local politics at its worst.  I can't recall Onchan Commissioners speaking out about vandalism in the village, but that's no surprise. They like to posture and puff hot air at meetings but there's never any action. It's the Manx way.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Shake me up Judy said:

At least Quirkio spoke out on the continuing scourge of vandalism in Onchan, as he's quite entitled to do - Commissioner or not. He's a private citizen and they don't own him. If I was a Commissioner I'd be kicking someone's ass hard for this. Utter stupidity and local politics at its worst.  I can't recall Onchan Commissioners speaking out about vandalism in the village, but that's no surprise. They like to posture and puff hot air at meetings but there's never any action. It's the Manx way.

Local politics/politicians here are as generally inept and comically amateur as their ‘national’ stablemates in Tynwald, but if you really want to see clueless wankers making a hash of things it’s a straight up head-to-head between Douglas and Onchan every time isn’t it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

I love the idea that anyone would assume that Quirk was speaking for anyone except himself anyway.  In such cases the fact that someone is a Commissioner is given as extra information 

I also love the idea that the media are forbidden to approach any of the democratically elected members for an interview or information - instead they must go through the Clerk or Chairman.  This is the sort of manic control-freakery that we have recently seen from Christian and Douglas - though of course if it all then blows up he will claim it had nothing to do with him and he knew nothing about it.  Naturally no one will take any notice of these tinpot dictators and go on as normal.

Are democratically elected councillors or commissioners allowed to express views and opinions? Or are those views got to be sanctioned by the Commissioners Clerk, or apply to something which is controlled by the Commissioners. If the People’s Prince or the other Onchan MHK came up With a view or opinion, would the Commissioners take out an advertisement against him or her. Are the commissioners preventing an discussion or stifling debate?

8 minutes ago, Uhtred said:

Local politics/politicians here are as generally inept and comically amateur as their ‘national’ stablemates in Tynwald, but if you really want to see clueless wankers making a hash of things it’s a straight up head-to-head between Douglas and Onchan every time isn’t it?

Port St Mary might feel a bit put out.

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

The basis for all of this, and with Douglas, is the principle that no-one should say or do anything that brings the reputation of either into disrepute.

I am no advocate but isn't these sorts of actions doing just that ? 

They must realise that the continued erosion of ratepayers confidence does actual result in less interest and support for what they are trying to achieve, especially at paying our phenomenal rates time of year, that they all get tarred with the same "useless bunch" tag and it does no-one any favours.

Somebody needs to take this lot by the scruff of the neck and kick some backsides. (metaphorically speaking of course).

In my view, either they should shape up and show some pride in their respective communities to provide value for money or wallow in the shame they bring to the local political process of the island. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Banker said:

And Ramsey 😀

Steady now. Raaamsey's commissioners are withoout doubt the finest local representatives known to humanity*

*apart from the one who said he'd fuck a frog if he thought it would stop it hopping and that beardy North Korean fella wot eats all the biccies:D

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

I don’t know if anyone seen the fires which destroyed hedgerow in Onchan? Fury all over IOMNP Facebook, ‘flog them’ ‘fine them’, a lot of real supposed anger. So far nothing from Onchans Politburo, which has probably gagged Quirky, after all they hate dissent, The People’s Prince and Julie Edge have remained tight lipped. As Julie Edge has announced her intention to seek re-election for Onchan, I am assuming that youth crime and law and order will feature heavily ?

1 minute ago, 2112 said:

I don’t know if anyone seen the fires which destroyed hedgerow in Onchan? Fury all over IOMNP Facebook, ‘flog them’ ‘fine them’, a lot of real supposed anger. So far nothing from Onchans Politburo, which has probably gagged Quirky, after all they hate dissent, The People’s Prince and Julie Edge have remained tight lipped. As Julie Edge has announced her intention to seek re-election for Onchan, I am assuming that youth crime and law and order will feature heavily ?

arn't they accidental land clearance fires? You know the ones where you want to put a new access to a field thats about to be sold off but can't because the environment impact group won't let you so you accidentally spill a can of petrol and then your hand slips with a match that accidentally sets it alight.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, The Chief said:

arn't they accidental land clearance fires? You know the ones where you want to put a new access to a field thats about to be sold off but can't because the environment impact group won't let you so you accidentally spill a can of petrol and then your hand slips with a match that accidentally sets it alight.

I believe that the Police were involved and some apprehended and spoken to.