Youth Gone Wild in Onchan

I’m not condoning what the kids did. But I think many of you are harsh, calling them scrotes, or describing them as feral, and suggesting you were little angels, who only ever did wholesome, constructive, things.

Where I grew up, born 66 years ago, knock door run, treacle on door and gate handles, and mischief night were prevalent. And it was a pleasant, quiet, respectable, middle class neighbourhood.

Most places have these traditions. They haven’t died out. They’re more diffuse, less seasonally specific.

We played ball games in the street. It wasn’t a through road. But it upset neighbours. Opposite my parents house was an unfenced, overgrown, vacant plot. We played. The owner sat in her upstairs back bedroom, watched, shouted at us, and occasionally called the police.

I don’t see much difference.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, cissolt said:

One of the findings was the two officer's in attendance were called away to an emergency in port Erin and they were the closest available. How many police do we have deployed where the two officer's were the closest?

The Castletown officers might have been otherwise engaged, an RTA, or other call out.

I can’t remember how many officers are based in Peel, Ramsey, Castletown, but it’s not unusual to turn up to a pre arranged voluntary interview, afternoon or evening, to find the stations locked and no one home, as the officer on duty has been called out.

5 hours ago, John Wright said:

You’re being obtuse.

Ring 999 in emergency and very quick response.

Ring 631212 about a non urgent crime and you still go through to JSCR, but it’s queued to prioritise emergency 999 calls.

At the end of the day it’s still the same people, manning the same phones,  you get put through to.

I recently rang 631212 to report, routinely, non urgently, a theft from an estate I’m executor of. I had done all the detective work. List of what was missing, identity of perpetrator, names of witnesses. No need for 999. I’d secured the premises. Wanted to speak to a police officer direct. No, had to go through JSCR, where they triage it and pass on to officers. 7 weeks later nothing done. I’ve got an officers name, phone, e-mail. No feed back. Every e-mail they’re on leave, nights. Phone, there’s no way to leave a message.

Dress it up whichever way you want. Your explanation stands for little.The fact remains that 631212 can take an age to be picked up is bad. Bad. Bad. Bad.

And you damn well know it.

It doesn't help when you explain it is still the JSCR.

So what do the phone operators do? See it is 'only' a 631212 call ("probably Mrs Quine's cat stuck up a tree again") and carry on doing something else until the ringing or flashing light gets too irritating for them?

Whatever and however the procedure, 631212 calls take too long to be answered. Often shamefully so. No business, no government department or agency should treat incoming calls this way - but it seems the way of the world (UK anyway) these days that they do,

But no way ever should the police adopt such an attitude. Ever.

Edited by Barlow
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The Castletown officers might have been otherwise engaged, an RTA, or other call out.

According to the findings, the two Castletown-based officers were in Port Erin and had called for assistance.  As this seemed to be more urgent than the Onchan incident, which was then over, the two officers in Onchan then went to help them.

1 hour ago, doc.fixit said:

How many times do you hear, 'but I didn't intend'....(the outcome)? So somebody was injured or died because of someone's action, manslaughter or injury without intent, (a new law I just made up). I really don't understand why there always has to be intent. If you cause a crash by driving a train too fast but didn't intend harm you are still responsible for the outcome.

Yes still responsible but that’s why we have the difference between murder and manslaughter and lack of intent should mean a lesser sentence. Or more accurately intent should attract a greater sentence.

You surely understand that?

It is known in Welsh as Noson Ddrygioni and in Scottish Gaelic as Oidhche nan Cleas. It’s an extension of Samhain, or May Day, or misrule. Or hazing, banging out, or other apprentice torments.

Its got a 400 year history in Northern Europe and in particular the Celtic nations.

Its the trick, in trick or treat, as it crossed the Atlantic..

@Sheldon I’m suggesting nothing new. Loo rolls, flour, eggs were other ingredients I recall.

@Shake me up Judy no, never got hit, slapped, beaten.

Im just pointing out that sort of thing, or scrumping, or lots of other activities have a long tradition. We’re just more po faced and intolerant, well, some of you.

• Like 1

Just now, The Voice of Reason said:

Yes still responsible but that’s why we have the difference between murder and manslaughter and lack of intent should mean a lesser sentence. Or more accurately intent should attract a greater sentence.

You surely understand that?

You’re ignoring foresight…

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Dress it up whichever way you want. Your explanation stands for little.The fact remains that 631212 can take an age to be picked up is bad. Bad. Bad. Bad.

And you damn well know it.

It doesn't help when you explain it is still the JSCR.

So what do the phone operators do? See it is 'only' a 631212 call ("probably Mrs Quine's cat stuck up a tree again") and carry on doing something else until the ringing or flashing light gets too irritating.

Whatever and however the procedure, 631212 calls take too long to be answered. Often shamefully so.

You still haven’t understood what I’ve posted. And I’ve made it very clear.

I do agree system and staffing is inadequate, but probably for other reasons.

1 minute ago, John Wright said:

You still haven’t understood what I’ve posted. And I’ve made it very clear.

I do agree system and staffing is inadequate, but probably for other reasons.

I understand perfectly. Your explanation shows the situation to be worse than I feared. Ican only deduce an intention to make 631212 callers wait.

JSCR needs to be sorted out in this case.. 

(NB as I stated before, the 999 response is second to none)

Just now, Barlow said:

I understand perfectly. Your explanation shows the situation to be worse than I feared. Ican only deduce an intention to make 631212 callers wait.

JSCR needs to be sorted out in this case.. 

(NB as I stated before, the 999 response is second to none)

It’s to prioritise emergency calls. It’s not specifically to make callers to 631212 wait. Although that is the frequent unintended consequence.

• Thanks 1