Manx Taxpayer's Alliance

Chef Raekwon

1 minute ago, Non-Believer said:

How many times do we hear promises about this, round election times? Not only Tynwald but also LAs? And when the election dust has settled it all goes quiet.

IF the appointment of the new Auditor General post proves to be successful and not just political window dressing, that will be be the biggest move forward in years.

Yes, Juan Watterson wasn't being very ambitious though in the amount he felt would be saved annually. It just about pays for the department!

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Reading the blurb I think it's more about low but fair taxation and getting value for money? Cutting government waste I guess, it does seem to be getting out of hand again?

Everybody's against waste and wants efficiency, at least in principle. Too often it's flag-shagging namesake seems to call for cuts in public services.

Given Josem's history advocating for Brexit, the Alliance's opaque funding and the choice of an organisation name that in the UK is associated with the right of the Tory Party - you can understand people being concerned about this organisations motives.

• Like 8

4 hours ago, Declan said:

Is this Manx Election Trust by another name?

Buster got told off for 'vexatious' abuse of the FoI thingy didn't he?

Edit - I guess in Josems favour any requests he makes are likely to actually make sense. Buster was just all over the place.

Edited by TheTeapot

14 minutes ago, slinkydevil said:

Where does he get his income from? He seems to spend a lot of time fucking about, but not achieving anything?

Ask him, he's all about openness and transparency. But do it gently, he's extremely sensitive.

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Max Power said:

Yes, Juan Watterson wasn't being very ambitious though in the amount he felt would be saved annually. It just about pays for the department!

But it's not a department as such, as in executive. It's a Tynpotwald functionary. So it's a very political appointment.
http://www.legislation.gov.im/cms/images/LEGISLATION/PRINCIPAL/2011/2011-0012/TynwaldAuditorGeneralAct2011_4.pdf

1 hour ago, TheTeapot said:

Buster got told off for 'vexatious' abuse of the FoI thingy didn't he?

Edit - I guess in Josems favour any requests he makes are likely to actually make sense. Buster was just all over the place.

Buster's behaviour could have ruined FOI's

FOI's are not wanted by government, of course they aren't, who wants every email sent or decision made to be publicly pored over and torn apart. But it's important to have that transparency, however if it is something that gets abused by the Busters of this world you end up with vexatious being used (justifiably) more and more easily.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, Andy Onchan said:

But it's not a department as such, as in executive. It's a Tynpotwald functionary. So it's a very political appointment.
http://www.legislation.gov.im/cms/images/LEGISLATION/PRINCIPAL/2011/2011-0012/TynwaldAuditorGeneralAct2011_4.pdf

Agreed, but it was inferred that there would be a support team of around 4-5 people judging from the costs.

10 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Not on corporation tax he isn't

For interested folk here's an Irish Times piece on the implications for their 12.5% corp taxation rate

Crunch point awaits Ireland in global corporate tax debate (irishtimes.com)

I can't see it happening. States with huge numbers of LLCs registered will see massive relocations.

12 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Not on corporation tax he isn't

For interested folk here's an Irish Times piece on the implications for their 12.5% corp taxation rate

Crunch point awaits Ireland in global corporate tax debate (irishtimes.com)

I don't think Ireland's current taxation is particularly attractive in comparison to other jurisdictions? I think a lot of the investment they attract is because they used their past taxation advantages to put in an infrastructure and workforce which suits high tech investments. It's already there and in place, saving the problems of setting it up from scratch. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Max Power said:

Agreed, but it was inferred that there would be a support team of around 4-5 people judging from the costs.

Almost sure you're right Max. But the fact that the Auditor will be directly responsible to Tynwald itself makes it political. Imagine the Auditor finding legal loopholes with financial systems/payments/grants etc that Tynwald have approved and nodded through. You can bet your life that report won't see the light of day.

• Like 1