Manx Taxpayer's Alliance

Chef Raekwon

1 minute ago, AlanShimmin said:

Strange one. The guy might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he is trying to shine a light on government wastage, corruption and failure.

He’s his own worst enemy. Two years ago when he started with the LV thing most people you spoke to seemed to think he was a credible candidate for politics now most people you speak to just seem to think he’s a bit of a knob. 

10 hours ago, AlanShimmin said:

Strange one. The guy might not be everyone's cup of tea, but he is trying to shine a light on government wastage, corruption and failure.

But he gets ripped to pieces. How does that work?

Folks coming from outside & recommending the island changes things are never especially welcomed, unless they're titled & speak from immense personal experience like Lord Lisvane

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, AlanShimmin said:

Isn't that true for 90% of potential MHKs?

It is,

if anyone had a look at Micheal Josem’s LinkedIn page they will see that he has been involved in political activity in Australia at a National Level as opposed to IOM Village Pump level. I’m afraid that national politics are still amateurish and very parochial. Conflicts of interest and avarice very much rule supreme. If you want to get ahead then you have to obey the CM or you won’t get the extra £10k+. Now from 2021 it’s a straight salary, it will prevent patronage and MHKs free to express their own opinions.

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

Which begs the question. Who in their right minds is going to voluteer for DOI?

There may be difficulties finding new MHKs department and ministerial roles. Will someone want to takeover the role from Baker, Ashford, Cregeen or Allinson? It’s now easier to sit on the back benches, take the money and criticise. Lord Lisvane recommended that MLCs serve as MLCs and have no department role. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, 2112 said:

if anyone had a look at Micheal Josem’s LinkedIn page they will see that he has been involved in political activity in Australia at a National Level as opposed to IOM Village Pump level. I’m afraid that national politics are still amateurish and very parochial. Conflicts of interest and avarice very much rule supreme.

If you think national politics in Australia is more mature and sophisticated than national politics in the Isle of Man, that you don't know much about national politics in Australia.  It's even more petty and spiteful than here, but with extra swear words.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, the stinking enigma said:

Which begs the question. Who in their right minds is going to voluteer for DOI?

The same people who stand for MHK thinking they can do it having never been to a sitting at HoK or had any involvement in politics on the IOM are the exact same people who will think they can get into the DOI and make a difference

And they might I guess because getting institutionalised also doesn't seem to be helping either

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 2112 said:

There may be difficulties finding new MHKs department and ministerial roles. Will someone want to takeover the role from Baker, Ashford, Cregeen or Allinson? It’s now easier to sit on the back benches, take the money and criticise. Lord Lisvane recommended that MLCs serve as MLCs and have no department role. 

This assumes MHKs volunteer for departments for the money. I don’t think they do. There’s easier ways to earn money tha the shite they get in departments. 

anyone becoming an MHK for the money is a fool. 

2 hours ago, Fluffy123 said:

This assumes MHKs volunteer for departments for the money. I don’t think they do. There’s easier ways to earn money tha the shite they get in departments. 

anyone becoming an MHK for the money is a fool. 

Some MHKs who are intending to stand as MHKs will never have earned so much as £65000 pa before in their lives. Some may stand as they are public spirited and want to do their civic duty. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

Some MHKs who are intending to stand as MHKs will never have earned so much as £65000 pa before in their lives. Some may stand as they are public spirited and want to do their civic duty. 

There's a whole raft of different reasons for standing I guess, some personal, or financial or social maybe. There is though most certainly psychological reasons no matter what else is going on.

Some theorists liken those who can withstand the battering and criticism they get to almost a state of psychopathy, akin egocentricity with intense drive and ambition to achieve goals against the odds or the rules.

Didn't politics used to be described as the 'art of compromise' at one time, of trying to reach agreements and bring people and arguments together for everyone's benefit. I suppose that is a view no longer in vogue.

• Like 2

I do tend to agree with this though, Douglas Council don't seem to be able to make their mind up as to whether it is important that people should be able to park in order to generate income for the town, or whether to kill the place off altogether!

https://taxpayersalliance.im/department-of-infrastructure-trying-to-reduce-availability-of-parking-in-douglas/

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

Judging by the length of the above piece about fourteen parking spaces it seems like Josem has far too much time on his hands. Long may that continue.

My favourite part is where "local resident, Charles, highlighted that with a combination of an aging Manx population, our sometimes inclement marine environment, and the hilly topography of Douglas, car parking is important to allow people from across the island to access Douglas."

Now of course I'm not saying that Charles and his flowery quote don't actually exist; but I do sort of hope not.

• Like 1