Palestine should receive IoM aid

Steve Kelly

1 hour ago, SleepyJoe said:

True, Israel is becoming a powerhouse in the medicinal marijuana business

I don't think the pilots flattening the Al Jazeera building are 'high' on dope, but we don't know what drugs they're given to make them more effective in the air

Skelly will welcome them with open arms. Still no six Chinese Banks, but perhaps they could welcome six Israeli Banks instead. Incidentally there are a couple of Israeli banks in the UK, Manchester and London. 

13 minutes ago, 2112 said:

Skelly will welcome them with open arms. Still no six Chinese Banks, but perhaps they could welcome six Israeli Banks instead. Incidentally there are a couple of Israeli banks in the UK, Manchester and London. 

Is Habib Bank still operating on the Island?

If we could organise some footage of Tim Baker, the DOI and Douglas Promenade to be broadcast to Gaza, the Palestinians might send us some aid instead....

• Haha 7

I believe Hamas began this latest attack, as they usually do. When you have a neighbour whose publicly stated aim is to drive you into the sea and garners support from other rogue states, you have to protect yourself! The suffering of the Palestinian people is directly related to their supposed support of a terrorist organisation. I do feel sorry for both sides in the mess we created!

Britain holds the responsibility for all of this, creating Jordan out of a large part of Palestine after gifting another large part to Jews who had never set foot in the place was a criminal act!

• Like 3

IIRC, Hamas became the Palestinians' representative body because they have a number of facets, one of which was the raising, organisation and distribution of humanitarian aid to the Palestinians, ie there is a lot more to the organisation than the military side. After the demise of Arafat/the PLO, this was the basis of their rise.

There have always been a number of other Islamic parties ranged against Israel (enjoying support from other major Middle East actors), ranging in their degree of radicalism towards Israel.

1 hour ago, Max Power said:

I believe Hamas began this latest attack, as they usually do. When you have a neighbour whose publicly stated aim is to drive you into the sea and garners support from other rogue states, you have to protect yourself! The suffering of the Palestinian people is directly related to their supposed support of a terrorist organisation. I do feel sorry for both sides in the mess we created!

Britain holds the responsibility for all of this, creating Jordan out of a large part of Palestine after gifting another large part to Jews who had never set foot in the place was a criminal act!

Jews had lived in Palestine for at least 3000 years Max. 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

Yes indeed, but we created the state of Israel in the Balfour agreement during WW1, which encouraged migration particularly during and after WW2. We then failed to control it and carved up the middle east making matters worse.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Shake me up Judy said:

There have always been some Jews in the area but for the last 2000 years (and arguably at some periods before that) they haven't been the majority and most of that time it was a fairly small minority.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/15/2021 at 3:53 PM, 2112 said:

There are some on this island that have strange left wing views, very very anti Israel and virally anti Semitic. Yet there are very few Palestinians who have liberal views especially relating to Homosexuality, Transexuality, Gay Marriage and Civil Partberships. Israel is one of the most tolerant countries where Homosexuality is not persecuted and people can live their lives. In neighbouring Syria under Islamic State Homosexuality would be punishable by being thrown from the top of a building. In today’s cancel and boycott culture if anyone practiced such hatred towards the LGBT community would be named, shamed and classed as a pariah. The same can be applied to certain racial groups and religions, The Isle of Man has its faults but it’s certainly free for people to practice religion and sexual orientation without nastiness.

I guess I oppose genocide even if I disagree with the views of some of the people being genocided. So much for the tolerant left eh!

Calling criticism of Israel's sustained oppression and murder of Palestinians "anti Semitism" is a load of shit by the way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeliX said:

I guess I oppose genocide even if I disagree with the views of some of the people being genocided. So much for the tolerant left eh!

Calling criticism of Israel's sustained oppression and murder of Palestinians "anti Semitism" is a load of shit by the way.

I’ve struggled from the beginning of this opening post to think of a Manx link to which there isn’t. All I can suggest that people who feel so strongly, and are so principaled, perhaps register their disgust with HRH The Chief Minister or perhaps they can organise a March along the Promenade. 

On 5/15/2021 at 3:53 PM, 2112 said:

There are some on this island that have strange left wing views, very very anti Israel and virally anti Semitic. Yet there are very few Palestinians who have liberal views especially relating to Homosexuality, Transexuality, Gay Marriage and Civil Partberships. Israel is one of the most tolerant countries where Homosexuality is not persecuted and people can live their lives. In neighbouring Syria under Islamic State Homosexuality would be punishable by being thrown from the top of a building. In today’s cancel and boycott culture if anyone practiced such hatred towards the LGBT community would be named, shamed and classed as a pariah. The same can be applied to certain racial groups and religions, The Isle of Man has its faults but it’s certainly free for people to practice religion and sexual orientation without nastiness.

But... the Island has not been free for people to practice their sexual orientation for very long. Certainly not in most forum members lifetime. Even then the Island only changed its legislation because we were forced to. So don't be so hasty to point fingers because this Island is no champion of personal freedoms. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1