Palestine should receive IoM aid

Steve Kelly

1.4M in aid for refugees is hard to take because: 1. Many people do not earn a living wage. 2. Funding for DLA, Carers Allowance, Child Benefit, Job-Seekers Allowance the State Pension, Education and the NHS (vital to improve work prospects and keep people in work) has been cut back drastically and relentlessly for years. 3. Foodbanks and tax-dodging have been normalised. The sort of people who complain about aid for refugees tend to be the sort of cold Daily Express reading shits who also hate rises in the minimum wage, taxing the wealthy or any compromises in their lifestyle to mitigate climate change, and can't wait until brexit England privatises health and education and we end up paying double in insurance and fees than we ever paid in taxes. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Freggyragh said:

1.4M in aid for refugees is hard to take because: 1. Many people do not earn a living wage. 2. Funding for DLA, Carers Allowance, Child Benefit, Job-Seekers Allowance the State Pension, Education and the NHS (vital to improve work prospects and keep people in work) has been cut back drastically and relentlessly for years. 3. Foodbanks and tax-dodging have been normalised. The sort of people who complain about aid for refugees tend to be the sort of cold Daily Express reading shits who also hate rises in the minimum wage, taxing the wealthy or any compromises in their lifestyle to mitigate climate change, and can't wait until brexit England privatises health and education and we end up paying double in insurance and fees than we ever paid in taxes. 

It’s not the aid being given, more the timing. Can the island afford it? We are being warned of serious and tough decisions to be made. The timing of this decision seems suspect, hot on the heels the revelations about ex CM Quayle. What about the poor in Afghanistan? This island is wealthy when it suits, and poor when it has to justify tax rises to its population. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 2112 said:

A piece by the BBC found on Facebook, the IOMG via the Cabinet Office has donated £1.4million to UNICEF and 5 local charities working overseas. Most of the funding is being used dealing with Syrian refugees in Iraq. Whilst giving aid is welcoming and generous and is a positive PR bullshit spin, to deflect from other matters, the island in its current financial predicament and climate, needs to look at its spending, and where aid giving is appropriate and in the national interests of the island, it needs to be carefully managed. Soon there will be demand for aid for poor people on this island ………….. sorry I forgot there is a Foodbank, and former Chief Minister business in financial peril. 

I usually find your posts much aligned with my thoughts but I have to say on this one I totally disagree.

I would like to see the island spending a lot more of our taxes on things like this and - Shock Horror - Actually doing the right thing and taking a lot of these poor people as new residents.

We already have Mount Murray in Santon - A South African Township, not joking - it is, so we can do it.

So why can't we take some proper refugees that are willing to work? From the likes of Syria, Afghanistan, Iran, Hong Kong?

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Boris Johnson said:

I usually find your posts much aligned with my thoughts but I have to say on this one I totally disagree.

I would like to see the island spending a lot more of our taxes on things like this and - Shock Horror - Actually doing the right thing and taking a lot of these poor people as new residents.

We already have Mount Murray in Santon - A South African Township, not joking - it is, so we can do it.

So why can't we take some proper refugees that are willing to work? From the likes of Syria, Afghanistan, Iran, Hong Kong?

I would suggest our current infrastructure couldn't manage. Dentists/doctor appointments are on the point of collapse so to burden it with more people would be reckless

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, Passing Time said:

I would suggest our current infrastructure couldn't manage. Dentists/doctor appointments are on the point of collapse so to burden it with more people would be reckless

More people = more taxes = more money to pay doctors/dentists, no?

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, finlo said:

Then need bigger schools etc that then need ever more taxpayers yada yada yada.

Yeah, if we were to continue ad infinitum I agree. However, the unemployment rate here is very very low, implying we could do with a larger workforce, particularly if we have an aging population as claimed. All sectors seem to be struggling to recruit at the moment.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, HeliX said:

Yeah, if we were to continue ad infinitum I agree. However, the unemployment rate here is very very low, implying we could do with a larger workforce, particularly if we have an aging population as claimed. All sectors seem to be struggling to recruit at the moment.

Struggling to recruit because certain benefits are easier to claim

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, 2112 said:

It’s not the aid being given, more the timing. Can the island afford it? We are being warned of serious and tough decisions to be made. 

Yes of course the Island can afford it. We live in a society where the top rate of tax is 20% and there is a cap on the tax you pay. 
There are the poor in our society and that should be addressed, not used as an excuse to ignore our wider obligations.

• Like 4
  • Sad 1

2 hours ago, finlo said:

Then need bigger schools etc that then need ever more taxpayers yada yada yada.

and  more hospital beds , waiting lists  dentists    more old people and nursing homes  still Dr Allinson will have introduced his master plan for the final solution for the elderly ,and were running out of grave spaces,  as well  

• Like 2

The Chamber of Horrors who seem to stick their noses into everything.   I cannot get a straight answer but I have been told that they have less than 100 members mostly from the big companies.    There are thousands of companies on the Island who don’t belong and don’t want to but these few that do seem to be the tail that is wagging the dog.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

The CoC main board have huge influence with government

Unlike the electorate

Not just the CoC but other groups, and professional bodies. Alfie, Ashie and Allinson will no doubt be at Budget Breakfast for the great and the good, giving detailed breakdown of fiscal decisions, undertaken by that economic guru Ashie.