Discovery Lands...

MasterChief

Not really, most of the space shuttle missions are of debatable scientific value, as are manned missions, and indeed it's even doubtful whether the space shuttle is the best method of travel. Discovery's main mission goals were to send supplies to that other space bound white elephant, the International Space Station, and test the safety improvements made to the shuttle design - which is regarded by many as already obsolete.

Compared with their cost, and what could be done for the same cost in scientific institutions on Earth, the achievements of such missions look rather sad.

The public don't want to see real science though, the crave for ratings has already sliced up a lot of other valuable NASA experiments. Not to mention Bush's Mars plans grounding many other projects (the Bush administration only planned to give an extra $1bn over the next 3 years, whilst $11bn was intended to come from other NASA projects).

What should NASA do? Earn it's way for the people, or help science go forward?

I think manned space missions are vital. Yes they might not get as much "real science" done as robotic missions but they serve a much more vital purpose - engaging the general public in scientific endeavour. Robotic missions are all good and well but people get alot more excited about seeing actual human beings up in space doing things and this excitement can inspire a whole new generation of scientists.

I for one owe my love of science and technology to the various manned space missions over the years. Yes I find robotic ones interesting but not nearly as interesting or inspiring as manned missions.

So while they may not conduct as much "real science" I think the benefit of such missions is immense. I also think it's time the shuttle was consigned to museums though and I hope that it's replacement is chosen by NASA and not other interfereing government departments as was the case with the current launch vehicle.

Those are my thoughts anyway!

I think manned space missions are vital... they serve a much more vital purpose - engaging the general public in scientific endeavour.

I never really understood this argument for manned missions. Firstly, it was my impression that before the disaster, most people were fairly bored with shuttle launches. The reason this one got so much coverage was because the chance for disaster was emphasised, and everyone enjoys a little bit of drama.

Secondly, it's questionable how much public interest such missions provoke. After all, university science faculties have all seen numbers steadily dropping over the years, despite numerous launches, and a regular complaint heard is that the public are apathetic when it comes to science.

If I were spending billions on a shuttle launch of little scientific value, with the aim of 'engaging' the public in science, I would expect more concrete evidence of there being a return on my money than there has been in the last thirty years or so.

Yes the public interest in missions has waned somewhat (though it still inspires many) but that is mainly due to our no longer striving for goals - think of the hype that was generated with the goal of the moon. Hopefully we will see similar interest generated with the new goal of a mission to Mars. Giving people something to strive for is what manned missions should always be about.

On another note I have just seen the freakiest advert for spreadable butter ever :S

Archived