Classic 8-bit Games!

matty

I suppose following on from the recent arcade classics post....

I'm sure many of us here are old enough to remember the days of the 8-bit machines such as the BBC Micro, Amstrad CPC464 (?) Commodore Vic20 & C64, Oric, Dragon, Sinclair (ZX81 - Spectrum etc) - what were your favourite games ??

I had a "Speccy" myself - bought for Xmas in 1982, and had a great time playing the games for this machine - here's a list of my favourites:-

Jetset Willy (I, II)

Manic Miner

Underwurlde

Atic Atac

Sabre Wulf

Jetpac

Dragontorc of Avalon

Hobbit

I had a 'speccy too - started off on the rubber key 48K version then "upgraded" to the 128+2 (128k with the built in tape deck). As an aside, its weird to think of a computer with only 128K of memory - especially when these days we have gifs and jpegs twice the size of that. :P

Anyway, game wise the faves were :-

Lords of Midnight

Elite

Gunship

Codename Mat II

Starion

Liked a couple of the ones from Mattys list, but I was never a big fan of platform games...Sabre Wulf was good though.

I statred off with the ZX80, you know, the one that could run a power station. Progressed to a ZX81 then the Spectrum and Amiga

My favourites were

Lords of Midnight

Manic Miner

Jetset Willy

Jetpac

Atic Atac

Ant Attack

and the Artic text adventures games "You are in a plane..."

had a spectrum zx+2 (inbuilt tape drive) which came as the 'james bond pack' with a lightgun, hours of fun (hours of loading too)

i recall the main bond game wasn't overly good, but the 2nd tape had 2 minigames on, a shooting range one (2nd level machine gun yeah!) and clay pidgeon shooting, both of these were pretty good (and damn tough on the later levels - shoot 20 fast clays in a row...)

other favourites were:

BMX Kidz

Skateboard Kidz

Star Paws

Commando

Some verticle shooter which had a time slowdown theme

space harrier

(also copying games didn't seem to be too hard! (high speed dub! :D ))

Funny to think that you could have quite an addictive game with only 48K of memory!!

There's a speccy emulator for the PocketPC platform which I play with every now & then (I use Pocket Clive) - here's a link to a few other emulators for various bits if anyone's interested:- Speccy Emulators.

I'd totaly forgotten about Daley Thompson's Decathalon - I remember copmuter mags offering various tips on how to get better scores with the game by rolling a golfball between the keys (rubber ones) - sure these guys must have had shares in the company that made the membranes!!!

How about paradroid/quazatron? Fekking awsome game.

I played a PC port of Quazatron last week :emo:

I was a Speccy 48k kid too. My own favourites included:

Head over Heels (There's an awesome PC port of this I played through and finished last year)

Match Day 2

Manic Miner

JetSet Willy

The Dizzy games

Monty on the run

Atic Atac

I've got a CD with 5000 odd games that I bought years ago for my Amiga Spectrum emulator but there are plenty of PC versions around that take the format. Good times :)

Film tie-in games were always my favourite, just to see what surreal twists of the plot the programmers would resort to in order to adapt the film to the computer's limited resources.

Take Predator, for instance. I think this was on the BBC computer.

The film: Arnold running around the jungle being hunted by a gigantic rastafarian alien that could turn invisible.

The game: A blue collection of squares runs past some trees for half an hour whilst birds repeatedly fly at what appears to be its head.

Archived