Manx Independence

Tugger

The "Mec Vannin" thread made me think. I don't agree with a lot of what they have to say, because it looks like they want to turn the Isle of Man into some sort of Soviet bloc country, but their most basic desire is for the island's total independence from Westminster.

Is this feasible? What would be the pros and cons?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My first thought is that you'd loose the support of British consulate and embassies when travelling. Talking of "abroad" you'd probably have to set up customs at the port and airports as there wouldn't be a "common purse" arrangement with the UK. I don't know if our pound would be tied to Sterling or if it would float (or sink) like the Irish punt did before it joined the Euro

I expect that you could have some cooperation agreement with the UK Foreign Office though - I am sure other small countries must share consular resources. We would probably have to pay for the privilege though, so you're right it's definitely a consideration.

If I was pushing for independence, I'd probably want to change as little as possible, I suppose. So we could continue to have some form of common arrangement on customs and the like. We could still use sterling, I'm sure: don't some countries in Central/South America use the Euro or the dollar?

don't some countries in Central/South America use the Euro or the dollar?

I think some of the issue their own currency but peg it to the dollar. This can cause problems and hardship if / when the dollar fluctuates. Was it Argentina that was having a problem a could of years ago with their economy as their currency was pegged to the dollar?

As a Manxman who has "the stamp" in his passport (no right of abode or employment in the EU) I should be a prime supporter for full independence but I can imaging it wouldn't be as easy or straightforward as some peope may think.

Airforce - Euromanx Armoured Cropsprayers capable of unleashing the power of 10 suitcase cargo loads of TNT.

Or just hold another festival of aviation and hijack / impound that planes that turn up. Bagsie first (and last) go in the Harrier :D

I've just checked - quite a few countries outside the Eurozone do use the Euro, but most of them are dependencies of European countries. The principal exception seems to be the Vatican.

http://www.xe.com/euro.htm

The official currency of Ecuador is the US dollar:

http://www.nationmaster.com/country/ec/Economy

So perhaps we could continue to use sterling - if that's what we wanted.

Other bonuses: we could get inward investment from China just for refusing to recognise Taiwan, and we could get inward investment from Japan by supporting their rights to eradicate whales from the oceans!

I've just checked - quite a few countries outside the Eurozone do use the Euro, but most of them are dependencies of European countries. The principal exception seems to be the Vatican

But this actually changes nothing from the status quo. By using or connecting (pegging) our currency to another we'd still be dependent upon the economic decisions and policies of another country. As an independent country we could, depending on the circumstances, find ourselves accused of artificially inflating or deflating the value of our currency in order to exploit exchange rate mechanisms in our favour, which tends to be somewhat frowned upon by the international community.

Then there's the question of which currency to link ours to. The Euro isn't terribly attractive given the now legendary incompetance of the European Central Bank, and the US dollar has the threat of a huge crash looming over its head thanks to the current budget deficit. Thanks to our location and current trade arragements, it would make the most sense just to stick with Sterling.

In my opinion, Independence is a white elephant. We already largely have budgetary and taxation independence, and a certain degree of legislative independence. All we'd be gaining is some "sense" of nationhood, at the cost of some immensly complicated restructuring that might not even benefit the Island in the long term.

All we'd be gaining is some "sense" of nationhood, at the cost of some immensly complicated restructuring that might not even benefit the Island in the long term.

Agreed, it would probably be very expensive for very little, if any, real benefit

This will never happen the isle of man gets 65% of its income from the VAT rebate that is 1% of all the vat every year.

How is the isle of man going to raise money if it goes independent, the zero rate of tax is due soon.

Pie in the sky as usual from mec vannin if only they would stand for mhk's that way you would get certain changes for the better.

Spuds and Herring lads lol that what you would be eating if mec vannin got their way

You just need to look at Jersey or Guernsey, and how the Channel Islands maintain high employment and a good standard of living as well as being a low tax area.

And they refuse to pay a defence contribution to the UK, after being abandoned to the Germans in WWII.

The also don't cling to out-dated "attractions" like the TT to bring people over to live or holiday, they have moved on, to cater for what people want today.

You just need to look at Jersey or Guernsey, and how the Channel Islands maintain high employment and a good standard of living as well as being a low tax area.

The CI might have problems in the future though. I understand our zero rate company tax is likely to hurt then and then can't copy it so easily because they don't have any VAT income like the IOM does

The also don't cling to out-dated "attractions" like the TT to bring people over to live or holiday, they have moved on, to cater for what people want today.

I met a guy from Jersey this year at Glastonbury, he saw my Manx flag and came up to say hello.

Reckoned he had something in common with me, being from Jersey. He said that: "Jersey is very like the Isle of Man except we don't have a fecking ace motorcycle race." he made several reference to the TT, basically said that Jersey is extremely jealous of the TT Races and wish they had them. :)

This will never happen the isle of man gets 65% of its income from the VAT rebate that is 1% of all the vat every year.

Is that figure not simply the VAT we pay to the UK on our goods being returned? Afaik, the Government keep records of ciggies/alcohol etc bought and send this off the the UK gov to claim the VAT we have paid back.

Presumably, they do the same for all other VATable items (everything basically).

How do Jersey manage without VAT, anyone know? It's a horrible tax is VAT. Especially for VAT registered small businesses :(

Why don't we just invade and occupy the UK? There army is streched so thin thanks to Iraq and is so woefully undersupplied that we should be able to take over with a few coppers and the night stick. I'm sure if we promise Scotland to the Scottish and Wales to the Welsh we'll get their support. Tony and his cronies can be deported to live out their lives on Jersey and the Don can move into Buckingham Palace. It's the perfect solution!

On a serious note though I think the current situation is as good as it's likely to get. The island has a great many of the benefits of the UK whilst maintaining alot of independence (non-EU membership being one example). I don't think total independence will ever come and to be honest is it really needed? We've got it pretty good why go and try to screw it up?

P.S.

Up the TT!!!

On a serious note though I think the current situation is as good as it's likely to get. The island has a great many of the benefits of the UK whilst maintaining alot of independence (non-EU membership being one example). I don't think total independence will ever come and to be honest is it really needed? We've got it pretty good why go and try to screw it up?

I think this is right, but what I really don't like about the current situation are the belittling, historic, colonial leftovers such as the leutenant governor (why???), knighthoods for policitians to keep them on-side and the UK military at Tynwald day. I can never understand why UK military always has to be there when Tynwald day is a Manx event and nothing to do with the UK.

Archived