Garff

14 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I was looking at the results from last time. Perkins won, by a lot. Like 500 votes. Why was that? Did he run a good campaign? Got loads of mates? What? And after 5 years of mostly being useless (OFT for example) does he still have that kind of support?

The Garff result in 2016 was basically very dubious - I wrote about it at the time.  It wouldn't surprise me if Perkins vote was inflated by mathematical errors.  The election was so badly run and counted that he might even have not been elected.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

The Garff result in 2016 was basically very dubious - I wrote about it at the time.  It wouldn't surprise me if Perkins vote was inflated by mathematical errors.  The election was so badly run and counted that he might even have not been elected.

I knew there had been some ballot box nonsense, but that can't explain such a big result. But then, I can't see anything about the guy that would explain such a result either.

36 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

I was looking at the results from last time. Perkins won, by a lot. Like 500 votes. Why was that? Did he run a good campaign? Got loads of mates? What? And after 5 years of mostly being useless (OFT for example) does he still have that kind of support?

Only one that has not delivered any paper or visited, even by proxy, up to now,  maybe very confident.

Edited by ellanvannin2010

Some are leaving it very late to provide details. Is that because they think that that having seen their name most recently, you are more likely to vote for them?

Andrew Smith's manifesto, on thin card (have they run out of paper?) arrived by post today, addressed to "The Household Family".

Infrastructure, which is causing so much angst, and costing so much money, gets barely half a page.

His support of heritage "is well documented", but not here - that's all he finds to say about it, although there is a lot of heritage in Garff and elsewhere on the Island.

Transport does not get a mention, although there is a photo of the upside down bus in Laxey river from 2015 (from before the last election!). There is no caption, only a reference to the 2019 floods.

He comes over better than a couple of his competitors, but only marginally. 

I shall find it very hard to pick more than one candidate to vote for.

4 hours ago, b4mbi said:

A lively meeting in Baldrine last night. Captain of the Parish had to use his gavel numerous times to keep the audience in line :D

Well done to all the candidates for putting themselves out there.

I did have a chuckle at one point last night when Daphne put them all right, including the questioner, concerning the Arup Report. You'd have thought that given the seriousness of the last flooding episode that all of the candidates would have been prepared for the questions on that subject. But it was doubly funny that the questioner hadn't read the report either. It was a typical Manx 'hustings' night. 

• Like 3
  • Haha 1