Garff

17 hours ago, Andy Onchan said:

She handles public speaking very well. But that's probably mostly down to her training as a journalist and being on the stage at one time. She has at least held COMIN's feet to the fire in the last 5 years and given the CM a run for his money.

Daphne - as a professional journalist - is the best communicator in Manx politics and should be First MInister in the new government

• Like 1

Gutted for Gareth. Personally, I am not at all enamoured with the idea that a small Island with a population of 85,000 should have local businesspeople dominating government. Sure, to have survived and prospered in the private sector they will have had to experienced tough ‘real-life’ situations, but they will also have had an innate desire to make money - for themselves. The Island will only safely benefit from their expertise if we have tangible accountability and transparency/controls, which prevent conflicts of interest arising. 

IMHO, the best option for the Island is to have a balanced Tynwald with representatives coming from all sorts of different walks of life.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

It still needs less public sector people like teachers though. 

MHKs are a lot like public servants, while they are in office, they are there to represent and serve us, their public. I take your point, but I don’t think good candidates should be solely discounted on the basis of their public/ private sector backgrounds. Otherwise, the Island might as well stop running general elections and hand the reins of power to technocrats. For every public sector employee who is supposedly getting on a ‘Tynwald gravy train’ there is surely a businessperson out there who we could level the same ‘scepticism’ at. Not all businesspeople who wish to become MHKs will be doing it out of the goodness of their hearts or out of a sense that the Island needs their experience and leadership.

4 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

It’s more about public sector group-think. Those employed in the public sector generally all think the same as they’ve never had to generate a penny of income in their whole lives. 

But actually the majority of those in the old House of Keys were the business people you are so fond of. The only ones with any public sector experience were Caine (civil servant), Cregeen (postman), Edge (education admin), Moorhouse (teacher),Thomas (lecturer) and Barber (nurse).  Technically Allinson isn't because Partner GPs are self-employed and certainly have to run their own business.  Even those except Barber and maybe Edge and Moorhouse also have experience in the private sector.  The remainder are all from the private sector, including most of CoMin.

Judging by results it looks like MHKs from business are the problem not the solution.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, Roger Mexico said:

Judging by results it looks like MHKs from business are the problem not the solution.

Ain't that the truth. 

We need both private and public services backgrounds. I think the UK are now finding that out with several privatisation developments having gone or going to the wall and needing more public finance for bailing out.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, offshoremanxman said:

Who with a business background was a real problem in the other house other than Harmer and Baker and both of them had a fairly chequered career in business. The same as people like Callister. Bill Shimmins was fairly effective, as was Hooper as was Cannan. Robertshaw was fairly robust and savvy too. Watterson was an accountant. All I was suggesting was a balance but time and time again we see so many failed posties in particular coming forward.

To add to Harmer and Baker, there's Boot, Quayle, Skelly, and I'd add Ashford.  Cannan was Treasury Minister, he had the power to do more rather than moaning occasionally.  Peake, Perkins and Corlett were all 'low-key' to be polite about it, though the latter at least seems to have put in constituency time.  It may be we're getting the wrong sort of 'business people', but I suspect that's inevitable, the best ones will want to stay doing what they are doing. 

• Like 1