Middle

Having just viewed the pdf manifesto of a candidate who runs an “international design company” that looks like it was a poorly executed GCSE project and had to be downloaded via Dropbox……I am going to refrain from further comment and wish my fellow constituents a happy new fully female representation.

15 hours ago, SleepyJoe said:

image.png.00522ff277702f08a7932e37a5420279.png

I take it that Jane Poole-Wilson has resigned her Legislative Council seat?

50 minutes ago, Fluffy123 said:

Why would you ‘take it that…’? No requirement and the other MLC hasn’t. 

1 hour ago, Declan said:

You don't need to prior to election. 

16 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I’m sure she will in September. 

I have no doubt that Mrs Poole-Wilson will make a good MHK. I'm with you there guys.

But that is not the point. Why has she stood now (rhetorical question, I know, you know)

This is an absolute affront to democracy. Tynwald doesn't like the look of the candidates standing for General Election so they safely and securely parachute one of their own in.

It is a cynical and smug move and denigrates democracy.

Edited by Barlow

4 minutes ago, Barlow said:

This is an absolute affront to democracy. Tynwald doesn't like the look of the candidates standing for General Election so they safely and securely parachute one of their own in.

Ooh, I hadn't thought of it that way. I'd been OK with taking them both at their word, that after a term as MLCs they'd both decided the system is't right and that getting a public mandate was the correct thing to do, actually being more democratic. I'm normally the super cynical one too, but you've outdone me there.

• Like 1

Just now, offshoremanxman said:

I can’t see any Tynwald conspiracy here. Whichever way you dress it up the candidates who were currently standing in Middle when she announced her bid were plainly all hopeless so she probably saw an opportunity which is just human nature. It’s good to see two MLCs decide to submit themselves to a public vote. I would imagine both her and Kate Lord Brennan will get in by good margins as really the competition is very very poor in both seats.

They'll both probably walk in. Why don't they resign first, as MLC have always done in the past in this situation.

Yes there is an opportunity and she grabbed it, and is standing with nothing to lose. And of course had Bill Shimmins and Quayle stood again, Jane Poole-Wilson would not, as you suggest, have stood.

This isn't good democracy.

20 minutes ago, Barlow said:

What a load of nonsense.

JPW is head and shoulders above most members of Tynwald. As an MLC's she and Lord-Brennan aren't able to create policy which is obviously what they want to do.

Smart and articulate with the ability to explain the complex simply without being patronising. I actually think she would be ideal for Chief Minister. Certainly better than any of the other candidates who have declared so far in all seats.

• Like 6

15 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

Ooh, I hadn't thought of it that way. I'd been OK with taking them both at their word, that after a term as MLCs they'd both decided the system is't right and that getting a public mandate was the correct thing to do, actually being more democratic. I'm normally the super cynical one too, but you've outdone me there.

I'm not saying it is a "conspiracy" although up to a point it is.

The scenario being Tynwald puts their Golden Girl in against non-establishment types ("we don't want no hippies, no-hopers or gammons in our club) then fill her place with a person of their very own liking.

It stinks.

1 minute ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

What a load of nonsense.

JPW is head and shoulders above most members of Tynwald. As an MLC's she and Lord-Brennan aren't able to create policy which is obviously what they want to do.

Smart and articulate with the ability to explain the complex simply without being patronising. I actually think she would be ideal for Chief Minister. Certainly better than any of the other candidates who have declared so far in all seats.

Yes I agree with you (except your first sentence) but that is not the point,

See my post above.

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

I see your concern. But we are not talking about Bill Henderson here. 

If "the establishment" was really concerned Quayle would un-retire.

Besides Stu Peters would be an acceptable winner for the COMIN Party too. He never really gave the politicians a hard time just people on the margins. He worked for the government for 21 years and when the public kicked up a fuss about him the establishment gave him a clean bill of health. If elected he'll make a bit of fuss about opposing equal rights (or being anti-Woke, I suppose he'd term it), but he'll be a nodding dog when a vanity project is up for the vote, or when the budget is voted on, or CS reforms come up. Because really he's not that  dissimilar to Geoff Corkish or Juan Turner or David Quirk  or Rob Callister or Baron Boot. Well known, might have a few bette noirs and quirky ideas of his own but on the big stuff will toe the line. Hell, they even made Boot a minister!

(To be fair the same could happen to Hann-i-fx or Jessop or any progressive candidate - look at Cretney and Gawne).

Edited by Declan
  • Like 4

Good post. I largely agree. But it is the principle here. I have no doubt that many people in Middle and indeed the Island will see JP-W as some sort of angel, arriving on a white steed.

But this is blocking democracy. It maybe just what many voters of Middle want but it is cynical and shoves two fingers up at the mechanism of Island politics.

She should resign, then stand for House of Keys.

Maybe she needs the money and can't afford to lose her Tynwald monthly wedge. How nice. How secure.

Being paid by the taxpayer to campaign her cause.