Middle

1 hour ago, Ham_N_Eggs said:

What a load of nonsense.

JPW is head and shoulders above most members of Tynwald. As an MLC's she and Lord-Brennan aren't able to create policy which is obviously what they want to do.

Smart and articulate with the ability to explain the complex simply without being patronising. I actually think she would be ideal for Chief Minister. Certainly better than any of the other candidates who have declared so far in all seats.

Well said.  

23 minutes ago, Declan said:

Like every MHK?

Exactly. What if she can’t afford to pay her mortgage without her salary? I don’t have any issue with an MLC standing, so long as they don’t use Tynwald meetings to canvass and promote themselves inappropriately. 

27 minutes ago, Declan said:

Like every MHK?

I don’t think there are any MHK’s from early August to the election date, so while I suppose you could argue they are being paid for the next few weeks I really don’t see it as an issue.

We couldn’t really have nearly all of them resigning just after their grand day out on Monday.

2 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

I don’t think there are any MHK’s from early August to the election date, so while I suppose you could argue they are being paid for the next few weeks I really don’t see it as an issue.

We couldn’t really have nearly all of them resigning just after their grand day out on Monday.

They'll still be paid in August.

2 minutes ago, Fluffy123 said:

Exactly. What if she can’t afford to pay her mortgage without her salary? I don’t have any issue with an MLC standing, so long as they don’t use Tynwald meetings to canvass and promote themselves inappropriately. 

Well you need to consider what you believe democracy to be. I can understand you being happy for another candidate in Middle.

Up until this election, all other MLC have resigned before standing for Keys. And they were all MHKs prior to becoming MLC and understood democracy. These current MLCs have  been taken 'off the street' rather than from House of Keys, and now they are looking to be safely parachuted into the House of Keys.

There seem to be a few people that won't accept there is something not right with this situation.

You all need to consider the meaning of democracy, elections and Tynwald.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, Fluffy123 said:

Not like any MHK has ever done that!

Regarding the mortgage, though, Stu's had to resign, so has Glover in Arbory and District, and CS have to resign (but are re-employed). I think I'd level that playing field by paying the broadcasters and CS their salaries until the election.

Good to see some additional candidates standing.  

Regardless of whether or not an MLC should resign before standing it is much more democratic to have more of a choice at the ballot box.  It was looking as if there would only be two candidates for two seats which is hardly democratic.

People will now have a real choice.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Declan said:

I think you have a point, just a very minor one. 

Yes, the running of a decent, fair democratic system is about s minor as it gets on the Isle of Man

• Like 1

Just now, Barlow said:

Yes, the running of a decent, fair democratic system is about s minor as it gets on the Isle of Man

Fixing, if needed, the point you are making wouldn't lead to a decent, fair democratic system. Not nearly.

Prior to this latest duo there had been at least three MLCs stood for House of Keys election.

They all resigned from the Legislative Council first.

(Victor Kneale did so in 1981 for example) 

33 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Prior to this latest duo there had been at least three MLCs stood for House of Keys election.

They all resigned from the Legislative Council first.

(Victor Kneale did so in 1981 for example) 

I can remember 4.

Edgar Mann, Victor Kneale, Leonard Singer and CC McFee in 1971.  I did wonder about Clifford Irving. But he constituency hopped several times between 55 and 86 ( Douglas East, North and West ) with one defeat in 81 and was then MLC 87-95.

Initially Singer intended to stay on, but bowed to public pressure.

• Like 1