Middle

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

All those previous MLC's who had the decency to resign their Tynwald seat before declaring they were standing for House of Keys must have been silly billies, eh tony?

I would have a lot more respect for someone who is prepared to give up a Lego seat to stand for the HOK election. Like with the game show Bullseye - if you lose ‘here’s what you could have won’.

KLB and Poole Wilson have the fall back of a safe Lego seat and gravy train berth whilst having zero constituents responsiblity.  

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Albert Tatlock said:

Know what you mean...I gave mine up years ago as it played havoc with me piles.

image.png.31ee4160f673b25263101eb084567998.png

Lego is only a problem to your Farmer Giles (Emma Freuds) if you swallow a piece

Edited by Barlow
typo

His priorities for the Isle of Man seem to be -

1. Do something about the economy  

2. Save the Horse Trams

3. Do something about the economy

4. Do something else about the economy  

5. Carbon Emissions 

6. Do something about the economy  - I know! Tax cuts for Billionaires  

• Haha 1

To be fair, David does suggest ways to "grow the economy".

Bill Clinton seemed to have popularised the phrase 30 years ago.

The problem is, that something can grow smaller. Perhaps "expand the economy" would be a better turn of phrase.

13 hours ago, Barlow said:

All those previous MLC's who had the decency to resign their Tynwald seat before declaring they were standing for House of Keys must have been silly billies, eh tony?

It's not the way it's normally been done in the past.  Certainly the two I checked (Singer in 2006 and Victor Kneale in 1981)  both resigned just before the actual day of the election and took an active part in LegCo up to the date their resignation became effective (I think you have to submit it a month before the effective date).  I would expect the two LegCo members to do similar.

1 hour ago, Barlow said:

That may as be @Roger Mexico but there are folk arguing these MLCs shouldn't have to resign at all.

I don't think anyone is saying that.  They are saying that why should an MLC be expected to resign whilst current MHK's continue to be paid whilst standing for re-election.  Even those who are not current MHK's will be able to remain in their current job and be paid whilst on the election trail although they may have to use holiday or take some other form of leave if they are not fulfilling their normal job. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Barlow said:

That may as be @Roger Mexico but there are folk arguing these MLCs shouldn't have to resign at all.

And they might legally have a case.  Certainly when Victor Kneale's resignation was being discussed in LegCo he was being praised for resigning at all with the implication it wasn't legally necessary, though things may have changed since 1981.  Certainly when local authority members stand they don't always resign until they are elected as MHKs, so the dual mandate ban only comes into force then.

• Thanks 1