Middle

7 hours ago, offshoremanxman said:

If you were senior enough some candidates might well be on 3 or 6 months notice so even if they gave their jobs up contractually they’d be stuck working and electioneering. Or in some cases stuck having to fulfill duties to their old employer during a notice period even after they got voted in. I can’t see why MLCs should jack it in before hand. Same with anyone self employed you aren’t going to just stop running your business on the off chance that you might get in. 

I did. And Tim Glover resigned from M.R. before declaring.

Also remember that until late August we're all just 'prospective candidates' until the Returning Officer accepts our nomination forms and makes it official.

Edited by Stu Peters
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

I did. And Tim Glover resigned from M.R. before declaring.

Also remember that until late August we're all just 'prospective candidates' until the Returning Officer accepts our nomination forms and makes it official.

Presumably though it’s part of your contact of employment that when you announce an intention to stand you have to resign. The reason is surely journalistic integrity rather than political. Though I think a leave of absence - perhaps followed by a review by management at the end of the campaign - would be enough. 

I can’t see the same case applying for MLCs. If too many decide to stand would Legco be quorate? The more orderly thing would complete the Tynwald cycle and then resign when the MHKs finish up for the summer. They’re either going to be MHKs or their position will be untenable after public rejection anyway. 

Edited by Declan

Having the letters MLC after your name (whether you actually use them or not) gives a flag of supposed integrity and standing.

On 7/4/2021 at 11:12 AM, oooohtony said:

Shame HQ isn’t there for people not to vote for though.  I was astounded he got in last time (didn’t get my vote) and really don’t think he would again against decent competition  - and he knows it.  Bet he was considering it a week ago then.  At that point he would have walked back in against the three declared

Howard Quayle got a standing ovation walking down from the hill yesterday. He would walk into Middle erm, hands down.

And if an MLC were to stand against him it would be something like a hanging offence (just to clarify the point that Jane Poole-Wilson would have stood anyway - she would not, and more so not, if Shimmins was standing too)

Not dissimilar to Middle, in the case of Minister (Minister? wtf) Harmer, I think throwing a buckshee MLC into the mix in Peel would be as good a self-explanatory reason as any. 

3 hours ago, Barlow said:

Howard Quayle got a standing ovation walking down from the hill yesterday. He would walk into Middle erm, hands down.

Do you live in Middle or speak to many people who do?

I do, and think he would really struggle to find much favour outside council houses and pensioners to be honest 

13 minutes ago, Barlow said:

Not dissimilar to Middle, in the case of Minister (Minister? wtf) Harmer, I think throwing a buckshee MLC into the mix in Peel would be as good a self-explanatory reason as any. 

Are you suggesting that she has been put up to standing by others in keys who want to see Harmer and Boot out?

If you are that is absurd, and you might want a little lie down.

If not. I can’t really see your point

Also, if an MLC has to resign, is it really OK that a Marown commissioner is in the frame?

Surely it is easier for a lock commissioner to sway local opinion using their position that it is someone who oversees the implementation of legislation at a national level?

Edited by oooohtony

1 hour ago, oooohtony said:

Are you suggesting that she has been put up to standing by others in keys who want to see Harmer and Boot out?

If you are that is absurd, and you might want a little lie down.

If not. I can’t really see your point

Also, if an MLC has to resign, is it really OK that a Marown commissioner is in the frame?

Surely it is easier for a lock commissioner to sway local opinion using their position that it is someone who oversees the implementation of legislation at a national level?

Sorry, but the best I can do is:

Whoosh! Whoosh! and Whoosh" again.

• Like 1

Do you live in Middle or speak to many people who do?

I do, and think he would really struggle to find much favour outside council houses and pensioners to be honest 

I think you are right, on second thoughts.

Stu Peters would provide such people a good alternative to Howard (who is mentioned in this interview re his words about Manx Radio getting a £million per annum from IoM Government and they have the audacity to ask awkward questions of him....)

It's an odd interview. Set aside the obvious wickedness of his "plain-speaking common sense" pretense, he speaks quite well. His analysis of the Failed Quayle administration and the structural problems in Tynwald and the Government is accurate.

But his solution? Ask a few questions; point at a plan and say "that's daft", then shrug his shoulders because what can a back bench MHK do? It's refreshingly honest, probably accurate but desperately cynical, especially as he dismisses most public campaigns - equality, social housing, climate change as bandwagons.

So he's not going to be part of the Government, he's not going to be part of an organised opposition, he's not going to raise issues that the public are concerned about, he doesn't seem to have proposals for anything - what's he going to do all day?

• Like 6

What are the three "pile-ons" Stu mentions that he was a victim of? I can think of the white privilege debacle, and inflicting autistic children on diners kerfuffle. But what's the third - black ops? milkgate?

Edited by Declan

3 minutes ago, Declan said:

What are the three "pile-ons" Stu mentions that he was a victim of? I can think of the white privilege debacle, and inflicting autistic children. But what's the third - black ops? milkgate?

Richard Murphy and the black ops  “death threats”?

24 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Richard Murphy and the black ops  “death threats”?

Stu was a bit hard done by there. Not sure Richard Murphy has the power to instigate a pile of tax regulation nerds though.