Middle

13 minutes ago, Declan said:

Stu was a bit hard done by there. Not sure Richard Murphy has the power to instigate a pile of tax regulation nerds though. 

But I’m sure that Stuart sees himself as a victim. He certainly seems to be playing it. It’s not much of a platform to stand on in a General Election.

Just now, John Wright said:

But I’m sure that Stuart sees himself as a victim. He certainly seems to be playing it. It’s not much of a platform to stand on in a General Election.

You've never suffered the abuse I have on social media though John. I enjoy the cut and thrust of disagreement and debate, but there are far too many trolls and self-appointed social justice warriors on Facebook who wake up every day looking for people in the public eye that they can incite a mob to bring down. A psychologist might be able to explain that kind of destructive mentality, but I just find it worriesome.

And it was a passing comment in answer to a specific question, so I'm hardly looking for the world's smallest violin.

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

You've never suffered the abuse I have on social media though John. I enjoy the cut and thrust of disagreement and debate, but there are far too many trolls and self-appointed social justice warriors on Facebook who wake up every day looking for people in the public eye that they can incite a mob to bring down. A psychologist might be able to explain that kind of destructive mentality, but I just find it worriesome.

And it was a passing comment in answer to a specific question, so I'm hardly looking for the world's smallest violin.

Really?

No. Social Media wasn’t around in the 80’s. But I’ve been abused from university until now for being gay. Stuff in post, through the door, phone calls at every hour of day and night, on the street, in the Manx and Uk media.  You weren’t here at the height. And it still happens.

Just like BAME are abused or discriminated against or afforded less equal treatment every day of their lives. 

Your problem is a total lack of insight into your casual racism, homophobia. You’re  just a misogynistic still trying to be a member of lad culture. And when you’re challenged you go into victim mode. And while you’re at it you’re mixing with/attracting support from some pretty distasteful right wing/libertarians who care nothing for journalistic integrity or freedom of anything - apart from their own ability to control the message.

You’ve fallen a very long way.

Don't get me wrong. It was your job to be a shock jock. I understand that. 

• Like 4
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

It is not just "self-appointed social justice warriors" who will have a go at people in the public eye via social media and other forums.  There are plenty of people on the right wing who will use exactly the same tactics to incite and bait people.  There are people in power in the UK who benefit from the so called "culture wars".  I wonder why the word "war" was used in that phrase?  Perhaps to get the people fighting against each other whilst the Government in the UK slowly strip away peoples rights?  

I have no doubt that you went through some horrible experiences, however, that does not take away from the lived experience of millions of others who have experience homophobia and racism.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, manxman1980 said:

It is not just "self-appointed social justice warriors" who will have a go at people in the public eye via social media and other forums.  There are plenty of people on the right wing who will use exactly the same tactics to incite and bait people.  There are people in power in the UK who benefit from the so called "culture wars".  I wonder why the word "war" was used in that phrase?  Perhaps to get the people fighting against each other whilst the Government in the UK slowly strip away peoples rights?  

I have no doubt that you went through some horrible experiences, however, that does not take away from the lived experience of millions of others who have experience homophobia and racism.

Edited by Grumble

7 hours ago, John Wright said:

Really?

No. Social Media wasn’t around in the 80’s. But I’ve been abused from university until now for being gay. Stuff in post, through the door, phone calls at every hour of day and night, on the street, in the Manx and Uk media.  You weren’t here at the height. And it still happens.

Just like BAME are abused or discriminated against or afforded less equal treatment every day of their lives. 

Your problem is a total lack of insight into your casual racism, homophobia. You’re  just a misogynistic still trying to be a member of lad culture. And when you’re challenged you go into victim mode. And while you’re at it you’re mixing with/attracting support from some pretty distasteful right wing/libertarians who care nothing for journalistic integrity or freedom of anything - apart from their own ability to control the message.

You’ve fallen a very long way.

Don't get me wrong. It was your job to be a shock jock. I understand that. 

Wow , really. What happened to free speech and air space for all . Only if it fits? I disagree with most of what Stu views are but I’ll defend to the death his right to disagree with me an he with me. 

• Like 1

By the way I recall you used to ban people for personal abuse. For example do you know for a fact that Stu Peters is all you accuse him to be? I’m not trying to defend him just protect him from bullying😂Not that he needs help from me in that respect. You are just a hypocrite. And expects ban in your echo chamber.

10 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Wow , really. What happened to free speech and air space for all . Only if it fits? I disagree with most of what Stu views are but I’ll defend to the death his right to disagree with me an he with me. 

But John has a right to disagree with Stu and call out his opinions. You don't get carte blanche to speak your mind and swerve criticism for your words.

2 minutes ago, Anyone said:

Indeed he has , but used inflammatory language. I’m not defending Stu , I have opposing views to his. But he entitled to them without the tone of John Wrights attack on him. That is all I was saying. 

Wow , really. What happened to free speech and air space for all . Only if it fits?

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Declan said:

Wow , really. What happened to free speech and air space for all . Only if it fits?

You’ve lost me , fits what? People have views and opinions , some are not nice , some are. What do you suggest we do with those with whom we disagree? Shoot them ( just those who we disagree with ). Sounds like you’d like that.

I'm quoting your words back at you. You are accusing John of opposing Stu's right to freedom of expression "unless it fits" (Presumably you mean what John finds acceptable). But in the next post Your position seems to be John's tone doesn't fit what you believe is acceptable.

This is basically what you've posted ...

• I disagree with Stu, but support his right to express them anyway he likes.
  • I agree with John, but oppose his right to express them in the way he likes.

(And just to be clear, I don't agree with shooting people.)

Let's draw a line under this. I've known John for around 20 years (both professionally and personally) and we've always got on well despite our differences, but I've obviously said something that he took grave offence to recently, which I regret. John was very generous with his time during a family legal matter some years ago and I'll be forever grateful, so I'm not going to have a public fall out with him.

I agree with pretty much everything Manxman said on the previous page, but would just add that over the last few years we've arrived at a point where we can no longer discuss issues rationally and respectfully without fear of offending someone. That was never something I set out to do, but it happens. I'm with Stephen Fry on offence. There have been some epic spats on this forum over the years, but nobody has ever faced losing their job over it, yet a small group of people a year ago took offence at my comments about BLM (and before that naughty children in restaurants) and tried to have me fired. These trolls must have nothing better to do than seek out people to attack - and I'm absolutely against that kind of fascism.

Someone wants to offend me by saying I'm overweight, old, opinionated, untalented - that's fine as I can argue back. But the minute someone throws in an '....ist' card the converstion is over and the hate (often based on third hand accounts) begins. In my experience it's the people who preach inclusivity and giving everyone a voice who are the least tolerant of anything outside their strange (to me) world view. Even using your own rather than their approved words draws condemnation.

But at least Declan is warming to me and agreeing with some of my points...

• Like 6