Middle

23 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

but would just add that over the last few years we've arrived at a point where we can no longer discuss issues rationally and respectfully without fear of offending someone.

I actually think the search for "balance" in the way news is reported has a lot to do with that.

They seek out the extremes rather than the more moderate majority. 

An example would be when they have a British astronaut on TV News to discuss the latest findings or mission they now feel they have to wheel out a flat earther for the sake of balance...

• Like 3

17 hours ago, John Wright said:

Really?

No. Social Media wasn’t around in the 80’s. But I’ve been abused from university until now for being gay. Stuff in post, through the door, phone calls at every hour of day and night, on the street, in the Manx and Uk media.  You weren’t here at the height. And it still happens.

Just like BAME are abused or discriminated against or afforded less equal treatment every day of their lives. 

Your problem is a total lack of insight into your casual racism, homophobia. You’re  just a misogynistic still trying to be a member of lad culture. And when you’re challenged you go into victim mode. And while you’re at it you’re mixing with/attracting support from some pretty distasteful right wing/libertarians who care nothing for journalistic integrity or freedom of anything - apart from their own ability to control the message.

You’ve fallen a very long way.

Don't get me wrong. It was your job to be a shock jock. I understand that. 

Lad culture? You say that like it's a bad thing?

We certainly don't want to disappear into a world of nothingness.  It's like a race to the bottom at the moment.  No one can say or do anything without someone being offended.

27 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Lad culture? You say that like it's a bad thing?

We certainly don't want to disappear into a world of nothingness.  It's like a race to the bottom at the moment.  No one can say or do anything without someone being offended.

The real race to the bottom is lad and laddette culture. Lowest common denominator.

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, John Wright said:

The real race to the bottom is lad and laddette culture. Lowest common denominator.

That's rather a snobby perspective. 

It's possible to be ladsy without being sexist or homophobic or racist. As many in the current England team demonstrate. 

1 hour ago, John Wright said:

What is lad or ladders culture then?

I would class myself a “lad”

Teenager in the 90s.

Now a middle aged white straight guy who likes beer and football, motorsport, women and lots of other things that middle aged white men enjoy.

Falling into that group  apparently means I have a head start in every sense.

I am not black

I am not LGBT

I am not a woman

I am not disabled.

So by all counts I have it easier than anyone else.  Only problem is I dare not open my mouth these days for fear of offending someone.

Imagine a recruitment process these days where all candidates were equal on ability and experience.  All equally suitable for the position.

Me, a woman, a gay man, a black man and someone in a wheelchair.

Guess who is the least likely to get the job?

• Like 1

That's nonsense mate. All those things apply to me (well except the love of motorsport and I was in my 20s in the 90s) and I'm not having to censor myself for fear of offending people. You'd only need to do that if you were going to say hurtful things about people's appearance or gender, sexuality or race. Why would you want to do that?

Edited by Declan
erratic apostrophes and erratic spelling of apostrophes
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

Only problem is I dare not open my mouth these days for fear of offending someone.

You don't shut up.

Also, right, if you are genuinely afraid of opening your mouth these days for fear of offending someone it would suggest that you already know that what you want to say is unmitigated offensive bollocks.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Declan said:

That's nonsense mate. All those things apply to me (well except the love of motorsport and I was in my 20s in the 90s) and I'm not having to censor myself for fear of offending people. You'd only need to do that if you were going to say hurtful things about people's appearance or gender, sexuality or race. Why would you want to do that?

Disagree.

But to try and make the point which I (and lots of other people) think is perfectly valid, will just end up in a spat and every word I type being over analysed in the hunt for some offence or twisted to imply some sort of underlying intolerance of others.

So I won’t bother.  Which kind of backs up what Stu was saying.

12 minutes ago, Declan said:

You'd only need to do that if you were going to say hurtful things about people's appearance or gender, sexuality or race. Why would you want to do that?

Hey, I know this one, it's called "protected characteristics"

(courtesy @HeliX @ballaughbiker)

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

Disagree.

But to try and make the point which I (and lots of other people) think is perfectly valid, will just end up in a spat and every word I type being over analysed in the hunt for some offence or twisted to imply some sort of underlying intolerance of others.

So I won’t bother.  Which kind of backs up what Stu was saying.

If you genuinely believe that it would back Stu up. But you, a new poster we don't know, are asking us to trust you on that. 

I think some people are afraid of inadvertently upsetting people because they haven't taken the trouble to understand what might be hurtful. Isn't it better to find out what that is so you can take a conscious decision on whether to hurt people, than to self-censor unnecessarily and then play the martyr. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oooohtony said:

Teenager in the 90s.

Now a middle aged white straight guy who likes beer and football, motorsport, women and lots of other things that middle aged white men enjoy.

I am not black

I am not LGBT

I am not a woman

I am not disabled.

So by all counts I have it easier than anyone else.  Only problem is I dare not open my mouth these days for fear of offending someone.

Imagine a recruitment process these days where all candidates were equal on ability and experience.  All equally suitable for the position.

Not you if there is a quota to fill for the company.  Sad but true.

I wouldn't employ you anyway but that's an aside.:thumbsup:

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, oooohtony said:

Teenager in the 90s.

I am not black

I am not LGBT

I am not a woman

I am not disabled.

The one with a chip on their shoulder?

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1

8 minutes ago, TerryFuchwit said:

Not you if there is a quota to fill for the company.  Sad but true.

Exactly, and we all know it.

Would I have that conversation in mixed company at a dinner party?

No.  Guaranteed to end up be labelled sexist, racist or homophobic.

Sad but a reflection of the world we live in.

19 minutes ago, oooohtony said:

Exactly, and we all know it.

Would I have that conversation in mixed company at a dinner party?

No.  Guaranteed to end up be labelled sexist, racist or homophobic.

Sad but a reflection of the world we live in.

I've had much more contentious conversations than that and not been accused of anything. Perhaps its the way you approach the conversation?

i.e. "I'm not sure affirmative action is always a good thing" vs "companies keep giving all our jobs to minorities".

• Like 1