Middle

The Afghan refugee issue is complex, as I've seen in Germany and other places. This requires a lot more than a few well-meaning individuals opening the doors to their houses, and the last thing we should do is go into this with blind enthusiasm thinking some fresh air and a cup of tea will be enough to care for often deeply traumatized individuals who are used to a totally different way of life and often have complex needs that have to be addressed if they are to have a fair chance of living happy and fulfilled lives. The question is if the island can offer all this and if not, if it should spend money and resources on creating the support structures, rules, laws, policies, strategies, and other things needed to do so. You can't just take a few and see how it goes because it's the emotional flavour of the month. If you get it wrong, you neither do the island nor the people you want to help any favours. As Germany has shown with its 2015 chaos and fallout, a proper plan is key. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

It seems to me accepting refugees here would only work if we had the facilities here. They’d be away from any U.K. based  Afghani communities, translators, immigration lawyers, citizen’s advice centres experts experienced in this field. The Process will be labyrinthine enough without layering IOMG’s bureaucracy on top. 

I do think since we help fund the U.K. military that we have a share in the responsibility for the refugee stimulation. Maybe we could sponsor a few families or fund an initiative somewhere, targeting one thing we can make a difference with rather than just dropping our share into the hat. 

Edited by Declan
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, Amadeus said:

The Afghan refugee issue is complex, as I've seen in Germany and other places. This requires a lot more than a few well-meaning individuals opening the doors to their houses, and the last thing we should do is go into this with blind enthusiasm thinking some fresh air and a cup of tea will be enough to care for often deeply traumatized individuals who are used to a totally different way of life and often have complex needs that have to be addressed if they are to have a fair chance of living happy and fulfilled lives. The question is if the island can offer all this and if not, if it should spend money and resources on creating the support structures, rules, laws, policies, strategies, and other things needed to do so. You can't just take a few and see how it goes because it's the emotional flavour of the month. If you get it wrong, you neither do the island nor the people you want to help any favours. As Germany has shown with its 2015 chaos and fallout, a proper plan is key. 

Exactly my concerns.  If we cannot provide the proper support to refugees, we risk doing more harm than good, despite having the best intentions. 

It surprises me that the Christian Aid lady is so vehemently for this, you would think that they would know exactly the attendant issues. 

5 hours ago, Amadeus said:

So we should accept refugees AND increase funding for both physical and mental health services? Yes. Great idea.

40 minutes ago, TheTeapot said:

People say no, citing their concerns for their welfare or whatever when really they mean no cos they're brown.

Fucking island is racist as fuck, and fucking wankers like peters trying to get in makes me mad.

I do not mean because they are brown or Muslim or foreign.  Read what Amadeus has posted, it really isn't about giving them a roof over their head, it is much more complicated.

I worked for 16 years in an organisation involved in overseas aid, including emergency relief and disaster recovery. They were on the ground in Afghanistan as part of the relief operation after 9/11.  It is a very complex issue and not one that can be solved purely from an emotional desire to help.  The help has to be right and long term, it also has to recognise the cultural attachment and needs the refugees will have.  Taking in a few Afghanis in isolation will achieve just that, isolation, at an intensely traumatic time.  Very happy that the IoM contribute in other ways, even send people to volunteer with the refugees so that some of the skills and issues are understood and learnt. 

Edit to add: if any refugees who have had the initial support and assistance of professional aid workers needed long term placement, then that would be the ideal time for the island to offer assistance in relocating. 

Edited by Gladys
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, Gladys said:

I do not mean because they are brown or Muslim or foreign.  Read what Amadeus has posted, it really isn't about giving them a roof over their head, it is much more complicated.

My point is less about the physical act of homing refugees and more about the reaction many people give. Bigoted people know they can't really come out and publicly say what they actually think, so they couch it in much more reasonable and indeed practical terms. But it's there with many, you can feel it. It was the same last time with the Syrians.

Edit - to make it clear I am not talking about you Gladys!

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, TheTeapot said:

My point is less about the physical act of homing refugees and more about the reaction many people give. Bigoted people know they can't really come out and publicly say what they actually think, so they couch it in much more reasonable and indeed practical terms. But it's there with many, you can feel it. It was the same last time with the Syrians.

See my ETA, there's a role for the IoM after the initial emergency. 

• Like 2