Middle

19 hours ago, Lost Login said:

I don't have your confidence. There are an awful lot of more elderly people out there who will have similar views to SP and see no reason not to refer to some of those from the middle east as Ragheads etc. Additionally many voters appear to simply vote for a person they think they know or recognise the name of. I expect SP will garner a fair number of votes simply because he is that guy off Manx Radio. On that basis, unfortunately, I think he has a real chance of getting in. If he was not the "radio guy" I don't think he would have much of a chance of being elected.

I don't think Middle is blessed with candidates. I expect and hope JPW gets elected as I have confidence she can at least understand legislation and see the merits or not in proposals, argue the case etc.  

After that I expect the second position will be between SP and Alison Lynch. Come election day I will use my two votes but only one of them will I use as a positive vote for a candidate I have confidence in them. The other will simply be a case of using to try and prevent the other worse, in my view, candidates being elected.   

Tactical voting. Everyone votes for the candidate you don’t think has a chance. Fowler gets elected.

3 minutes ago, Banker said:

Can’t you just plump vote for one candidate rather than voting for one you don’t want? That’s what I did last time 

Yes, but my comment was in context of how Lost Login said they’d use their two votes.

Im surprised you even worked out how to mark one vote correctly. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

40 minutes ago, John Wright said:

Yes, but my comment was in context of how Lost Login said they’d use their two votes.

Well I’m surprised with your attitude you got a job previously as a returning officer 

6 hours ago, John Wright said:

Your reply I actually think is incorrect as I do not view voting as you describe as tactical voting, unless were required to use all your votes by law which we are not. Tactical voting is really where people switch votes to try and prevent or cause a particular outcome. The downside of that is that the person who you did not vote for in the assumption they would be elected does not get elected as too many switch.

The use of my second vote as I said will, if I use it, be based on which of the candidates I view as least worst rather than because I actually want to see that person as an MHK which I don't see as tactical voting. I will have to watch more carefully the meeting held at Marown but from a quick viewing JP-W came across best as expected. SP was much as expected but if you can not wear a shirt and tie properly just forget the tie. DF I don't know what persuaded him to stand as he just seemed a vulnerable individual, possibly with learning or social difficulties, so don't want to be too harsh. AL was a disappointment - seemed to mainly have a host of prepared written answers which she read or just said it was a very important matter. KH I thought came across pretty well. Certainly better than in his literature etc and if you based purely on the performance in a meeting he might be pushing for second spot.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

Your reply I actually think is incorrect as I do not view voting as you describe as tactical voting, unless were required to use all your votes by law which we are not. Tactical voting is really where people switch votes to try and prevent or cause a particular outcome. The downside of that is that the person who you did not vote for in the assumption they would be elected does not get elected as too many switch.

The use of my second vote as I said will, if I use it, be based on which of the candidates I view as least worst rather than because I actually want to see that person as an MHK which I don't see as tactical voting. I will have to watch more carefully the meeting held at Marown but from a quick viewing JP-W came across best as expected. SP was much as expected but if you can not wear a shirt and tie properly just forget the tie. DF I don't know what persuaded him to stand as he just seemed a vulnerable individual, possibly with learning or social difficulties, so don't want to be too harsh. AL was a disappointment - seemed to mainly have a host of prepared written answers which she read or just said it was a very important matter. KH I thought came across pretty well. Certainly better than in his literature etc and if you based purely on the performance in a meeting he might be pushing for second spot.

I have to say that from being a bit of a joke candidate when he first put himself forward (sorry Keeran) he is growing on me.

In honesty I don't think any of them with the exception of JPW would have a chance in any constituency other than Middle but with the incredibly poor list of options I think that second spot really could go one of three ways at the moment. 

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

JP-W came across best as expected. SP was much as expected but if you can not wear a shirt and tie properly just forget the tie. DF I don't know what persuaded him to stand as he just seemed a vulnerable individual, possibly with learning or social difficulties, so don't want to be too harsh. AL was a disappointment - seemed to mainly have a host of prepared written answers which she read or just said it was a very important matter. KH I thought came across pretty well. Certainly better than in his literature etc and if you based purely on the performance in a meeting he might be pushing for second spot.

Interesting synopsis.... there is a Battle Royale for them all at Mt Murray next week that I'll be attending and I'll be keen to see how they come across.  To be honest I had come to similar conclusions on most of the candidates already. 

4 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

I have to say that from being a bit of a joke candidate when he first put himself forward (sorry Keeran) he is growing on me.

In honesty I don't think any of them with the exception of JPW would have a chance in any constituency other than Middle but with the incredibly poor list of options I think that second spot really could go one of three ways at the moment. 

If I was able to vote in Middle I would give KH one of my votes. Why? He is obviously very keen and has been working on this quite some time which I believe shows conviction and not just being in it for the ride. But I also think it’s good to get some diversity in the Keys. The sharpness of his ideas can be rounded when he gets there. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1