Middle

So Stu (manx forums regular) peters, is only second last place to David Fowler amongst the vast majority on here and even his matey mates like wrighty put him possibly a very distant second to a much superior lady. You lot are supposed to be his close allies wtf you playing at. Its you lot, Frank, Dobsie, that bald German weirdo and (did they have a thing) Shirley on team stu and you have all let the big man down.

Don't you have any compassion for a hardworking talentless immigrant who arrived here driving taxis and worked his way up to boring repetitive loud mouth radio clown. That man has failed numerous times in business, has literally no money left and you lot begrudge him 70k a year to eak out a very comfortble retirement.

Hang your heads in shame. 

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Roger Mexico said:

The real problem with Stu isn't just that his opinions are reactionary and incoherent (though they are) or even that, as the Fear and Loathing Guy remarked, that they're not his views but Jeremy Clarkson's (that's a bit unfair on Clarkson).  It that's all he sees the  job of an MHK as being - Having Opinions.

His 'manifesto' is basically just 'down with this sort of thing', but with no indication of how he would work to make things any better other than chunnering on the backbenches for five years, like a less well-informed Robertshaw.

I think that is a pretty nailed on assessment Roger.

Stu Peters promises very little (a safe election pledge) and has already stated he won’t seek to take up a Govt post. As for candidates like this I say “what’s the point?” Pressure of public opinion on social media has far greater impact on Govt decision making than some post middle age dude shouting the odds in Tynwald. 
Any solutions in his manifesto? Nope. Just this is the problem and that’s a problem.

1 hour ago, The Duck of Atholl said:

Stu Peters promises very little (a safe election pledge) and has already stated he won’t seek to take up a Govt post. As for candidates like this I say “what’s the point?” Pressure of public opinion on social media has far greater impact on Govt decision making than some post middle age dude shouting the odds in Tynwald. 
Any solutions in his manifesto? Nope. Just this is the problem and that’s a problem.

Ive raised this a concern with multiple candidates, as well as ex MHKs. Re: scrutiny/backbenchers. 

Before this incoming administration, and it's new pay structure, there was financial incentive if you worked under a department, which has been removed. This would now effectively allow, or as much as encourage any MHK to be a 5 year back bencher, who only has to show the bare minimum effort. And there is not much that can be done if they do, but wait 5 years. 

I plan, if elected, to scrutinise for the first few months. Once I have learned the ropes well and have an understanding of how the new administration (and who the ministers of each department) work, I then intend to join whatever department(s) that will help me be the most useful tool to bring positive change forward. 

^^^^^ this is something to watch for in new administration, across all constituencies, as I suspect it will actually lead to less scrutiny, rather than more. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

I'm happy to answer any questions on regards to climate you might have? 

At the hustings, there was a question about climate change (oddly not on YouTube), where I stated meaningful differences need to be made across the island and considered in lots that we do. Rather than planting a bunch of token trees for PR. 

Why isn't climate response the primary thrust of your manifesto? I see you as a planet positive candidate

Ramsey candidate Robert Cowell has this in his manifesto:

"Sustainability must be at the forefront of everything we do"

Edited by SleepyJoe

20 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Why isn't climate response the primary thrust of your manifesto? I see you as a planet positive candidate

Ramsey candidate Robert Cowell has this in his manifesto:

"Sustainability must be at the forefront of everything we do"

To be honest, because it's such a broad topic. It needs to be as Robert says. 

But, I only made an 8 page manifesto. Climate response has so many tentacles, from green energy, to reducing/reusing waste, public transport, capturing AND reducing carbon, rewilding, preserving... And that's before we get to the sea. 

Whilst not at the forefront of my manifesto, it is important to me and included. Every single piece of charge my phone, tablet and laptop has had throughout the campaign has been solar (I suspect I have a few weeks left where its useful), I've delivered mostly on foot... So I do practice it. By in large, climate response is going to come from improving our overall behaviour in everything we do...and that's impossible to put forward in a few paragraphs. 

Rest assured though, I am "planet positive"

4 hours ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

Ive raised this a concern with multiple candidates, as well as ex MHKs. Re: scrutiny/backbenchers. 

Before this incoming administration, and it's new pay structure, there was financial incentive if you worked under a department, which has been removed. This would now effectively allow, or as much as encourage any MHK to be a 5 year back bencher, who only has to show the bare minimum effort. And there is not much that can be done if they do, but wait 5 years. 

I plan, if elected, to scrutinise for the first few months. Once I have learned the ropes well and have an understanding of how the new administration (and who the ministers of each department) work, I then intend to join whatever department(s) that will help me be the most useful tool to bring positive change forward. 

^^^^^ this is something to watch for in new administration, across all constituencies, as I suspect it will actually lead to less scrutiny, rather than more. 

Isn’t the legCo there to scrutinise?  Surely change is better effected inside a department or even leading it, as opposed to shouting at the sidelines? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fluffy123 said:

Isn’t the legCo there to scrutinise?  Surely change is better effected inside a department or even leading it, as opposed to shouting at the sidelines? 

Exactly. But, it was used as justification for the pay increase. 

"We no longer get paid to work under a department" 

Whereas now, you could pretty much have a mannequin candidate who is seen (when necessary) and not heard ever. 

3 hours ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

Exactly. But, it was used as justification for the pay increase. 

"We no longer get paid to work under a department" 

Whereas now, you could pretty much have a mannequin candidate who is seen (when necessary) and not heard ever. 

What motivation would they have to stand then? Honestly there’s easier ways to earn £65k