Middle

9 minutes ago, The Voice of Reason said:

In his manifesto SP says that more affordable Steam Packet fares would encourage the young to stay here. 

Surely the opposite is true, it’s the less affordable fares that are keeping them here

I’m sure he means that more affordable fares allows frequent travel to see friends & families so don’t need to move, however subsidizing fares to encourage travel is costly & there’s a c£120m debt to finance plus new boat

Edited by Banker

47 minutes ago, Banker said:

I’m sure he means that more affordable fares allows frequent travel to see friends & families so don’t need to move, however subsidizing fares to encourage travel is costly & there’s a c£120m debt to finance plus new boat

My view is that the SPC is operating lots of near empty boats. On the basis they have to be staffed anyway and use the same amount of fuel, why not offer massive price cuts to holidaymakers (who I've been told for years don't come because of the ferry prices) who book accommodation or car hire as part of a deal? You'd have to be careful of substitution, so maybe just off-peak sailings.

52 minutes ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

That depends on if when in, the new mhks do their job. Under this new scheme, what is to stop anyone not answering their emails, and showing up to tynwald to be silent? That's a pretty easy job

You miss the point. Who would actually stand to be an MHK with the intention to just spend 5 years doing nothing. Sorry but that’s very very synical. Love or hate who we have or who is standing, but they all do it because the my think they can make a difference in there. It’s not an easy route to MHK - why go through all that effort to then just sit on your fat ass?  I’m sure there will be loads of ‘he did that, she did that’ with examples. But unless you’re in there you don’t know what goes in behind the scenes. Not everyone gets news time. Not everyone publishes every minute of their day on social media. 

sorry I just think that anyone who stands should be given a fair crack of the whip. And they can choose their own way of doing things. I really can say there is on candidate who is in it just for the money, and to have 5 years off. 

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

I’ve heard good things about Ann and that she does a lot for people. 

I've no doubt she's a nice person. Her contributions to Tynwald over 5 years have been small, very small. Some people might suggest that a politician not saying much would be a good thing, but there's got to be something. 

12 minutes ago, Stu Peters said:

My view is that the SPC is operating lots of near empty boats. On the basis they have to be staffed anyway and use the same amount of fuel, why not offer massive price cuts to holidaymakers (who I've been told for years don't come because of the ferry prices) who book accommodation or car hire as part of a deal? You'd have to be careful of substitution, so maybe just off-peak sailings.

The steam packet runs every day for freight of course many boats are low on passengers as people want to travel around the weekend, school holidays or in the summer months,  fares are already reduced off-peak, those who don't come because of ferry prices are looking to come when everyone else is, dropping the price further for off-peak would not fill the boats it would lose money hand over fist.

But wait no lets build those made up extra tourists a mega million pie in the sky dry ski slope, a monorail and some zip lines.  Of course they will be a gold mine despite being inaccessible 4 weeks of the year when TT / MGP is on or when ever there is a road closure for TT works, and closed most of the winter due to road conditions, poor visibilty and high winds  You are just less overtly oddball than David Fowler but he seems to have the less fuckwitted ideas.

1 hour ago, Banker said:

But he’s talking about young people, the majority of which I would imagine have their friends and families here on the Island

Edited by The Voice of Reason

Anyone noticed how many David Fowler posters there are along main roads? Feels like driving through Baghdad in the late 80s, except instead of Saddam, they put up pictures of a Payne Stewart impersonator. 

• Haha 3

1 minute ago, Amadeus said:

Anyone noticed how many David Fowler posters there are along main roads? Feels like driving through Baghdad in the late 80s, except instead of Saddam, they put up pictures of a Payne Stewart impersonator. 

Yes commented yesterday on that, every 50/60 yards on a stretch from mount Murray back road junction to cooil church 

• Like 1