Middle

58 minutes ago, Fluffy123 said:

You miss the point. Who would actually stand to be an MHK with the intention to just spend 5 years doing nothing. Sorry but that’s very very synical. Love or hate who we have or who is standing, but they all do it because the my think they can make a difference in there. It’s not an easy route to MHK - why go through all that effort to then just sit on your fat ass?  I’m sure there will be loads of ‘he did that, she did that’ with examples. But unless you’re in there you don’t know what goes in behind the scenes. Not everyone gets news time. Not everyone publishes every minute of their day on social media. 

sorry I just think that anyone who stands should be given a fair crack of the whip. And they can choose their own way of doing things. I really can say there is on candidate who is in it just for the money, and to have 5 years off. 

I did miss the point, my bad. As for that, I can't speak for as to why anyone would act in such a way. Just pointing out that there is room for it and that it will be interesting to see if it produces more or less scrutiny. 

1 hour ago, Stu Peters said:

My view is that the SPC is operating lots of near empty boats. On the basis they have to be staffed anyway and use the same amount of fuel, why not offer massive price cuts to holidaymakers (who I've been told for years don't come because of the ferry prices) who book accommodation or car hire as part of a deal? You'd have to be careful of substitution, so maybe just off-peak sailings.

Offering price cuts is a good idea but there also has to actually be things for them to do when they get here. It isn't like years ago when they had all kinds of entertainment and fun features spread across the promenade. The tourist retail industry is pretty much dead. If you go to somewhere like Blackpool you have the funfair, the souvenir shops, shows, acts, deckchairs, random food outlets etc etc. There is a lot for families to do. On the island at the minute you pretty much have the choice of Heritage, Walking, Beach and Pub. To create a new tourist industry we need to have a reason for tourist to come in the first place. Aka, legalise cannabis.

Personally. I don't smoke it. I used to a long time ago but it doesn't interest me anymore. However, I recognise the potential that legalising it could have. Look at Amsterdam for example. 600 million per year (I think if I remember correctly) from tax on the sale of cannabis products. The Isle of Man could be the Amsterdam of the UK (yes I know we aren't part of it etc etc but you get what I mean). Especially with Amsterdam looking at banning weed tourism once the coronavirus pandemic is over. We could literally have a huge slice of that economic pie and the money could be used to fund all kinds of things. Even so far as giving each resident a monthly stipend to boost up their wages and quality of life.

Imagine £200 per moth per resident. 84, 584 residents. Thats a little over 16 million per year. But, if we were earning an extra 4-600 million through cannabis tourism it would be completely affordable with a lot left over for other projects. The money could help improve the island no end. So long as we don't use a certain building company or DOI to engage in any further projects that is. We could fix the current promenade scheme and remove the stupidity that has been added, revamp the walkway, revamp the sunken gardens as they are starting to show their age, a new modern ferry terminal, invest in re development of lord street car parks and other sites around Douglas to offer more for the new tourism. Offer incentives for locals to start their own business aimed at catering to and helping promote tourism, deckchairs, prom side stores and outlets. Idk....stuff...

For those who worry about the legalisation. We could do it in such a way that it suits those who are for cannabis and those who would rather avoid it. So, legal within certain approved areas. Decriminalised, can carry but smoking it banned in most public spaces. So, you can smoke it inside of a designated cafe, outlet or inside your own home. Certain outdoor spaces could be designated smoking zones. For instance the Falcon Glen on Broadway, some of the sunken gardens, parts of Douglas beach etc etc. That way you cater to the tourism and those who are pro cannabis and those who do not want to engage with it, are not forced to. Win win. If anyone is found to be smoking it in a public area then at first they could get a warning to put it out and stop. If they choose to ignore or keep doing it then their cannabis gets confiscated. It would also help curb a lot of the illegal sales of cannabis on the island as residents would have a choice. Get high quality decent grade cannabis from an approved vendor. Or take the risk and get potentially questionable grade cannabis from a backstreet dealer. Limit the amount of cannabis outlets per area. For instance you could have one either side of the main Douglas street. Perhaps another further along the promenade. One more in upper Douglas, one in peel, Ramsey etc. Give people a reason to travel around the island and not just stay in the capital.

The potential is so unrealised. The sheer amount of income that it could bring to the island and for local businesses. We are never ever going to be the super duper holiday destination ever again. It just simply will not happen when families can hop on a plane to Spain and enjoy far superior weather and entertainment. And catering solely to heritage and walking is only aiming at a small niche of a massive massive market. It would revitalise the struggling hotel industry, provide much needed funds for our local health service, improve our police service as a greater number of officers would be required, improve the pub industry. It is such a win win in all directions.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, Chie said:

Offering price cuts is a good idea but there also has to actually be things for them to do when they get here. It isn't like years ago when they had all kinds of entertainment and fun features spread across the promenade. The tourist retail industry is pretty much dead. If you go to somewhere like Blackpool you have the funfair, the souvenir shops, shows, acts, deckchairs, random food outlets etc etc. There is a lot for families to do. On the island at the minute you pretty much have the choice of Heritage, Walking, Beach and Pub. To create a new tourist industry we need to have a reason for tourist to come in the first place. Aka, legalise cannabis.

Personally. I don't smoke it. I used to a long time ago but it doesn't interest me anymore. However, I recognise the potential that legalising it could have. Look at Amsterdam for example. 600 million per year (I think if I remember correctly) from tax on the sale of cannabis products. The Isle of Man could be the Amsterdam of the UK (yes I know we aren't part of it etc etc but you get what I mean). Especially with Amsterdam looking at banning weed tourism once the coronavirus pandemic is over. We could literally have a huge slice of that economic pie and the money could be used to fund all kinds of things. Even so far as giving each resident a monthly stipend to boost up their wages and quality of life.

Imagine £200 per moth per resident. 84, 584 residents. Thats a little over 16 million per year. But, if we were earning an extra 4-600 million through cannabis tourism it would be completely affordable with a lot left over for other projects. The money could help improve the island no end. So long as we don't use a certain building company or DOI to engage in any further projects that is. We could fix the current promenade scheme and remove the stupidity that has been added, revamp the walkway, revamp the sunken gardens as they are starting to show their age, a new modern ferry terminal, invest in re development of lord street car parks and other sites around Douglas to offer more for the new tourism. Offer incentives for locals to start their own business aimed at catering to and helping promote tourism, deckchairs, prom side stores and outlets. Idk....stuff...

For those who worry about the legalisation. We could do it in such a way that it suits those who are for cannabis and those who would rather avoid it. So, legal within certain approved areas. Decriminalised, can carry but smoking it banned in most public spaces. So, you can smoke it inside of a designated cafe, outlet or inside your own home. Certain outdoor spaces could be designated smoking zones. For instance the Falcon Glen on Broadway, some of the sunken gardens, parts of Douglas beach etc etc. That way you cater to the tourism and those who are pro cannabis and those who do not want to engage with it, are not forced to. Win win. If anyone is found to be smoking it in a public area then at first they could get a warning to put it out and stop. If they choose to ignore or keep doing it then their cannabis gets confiscated. It would also help curb a lot of the illegal sales of cannabis on the island as residents would have a choice. Get high quality decent grade cannabis from an approved vendor. Or take the risk and get potentially questionable grade cannabis from a backstreet dealer. Limit the amount of cannabis outlets per area. For instance you could have one either side of the main Douglas street. Perhaps another further along the promenade. One more in upper Douglas, one in peel, Ramsey etc. Give people a reason to travel around the island and not just stay in the capital.

The potential is so unrealised. The sheer amount of income that it could bring to the island and for local businesses. We are never ever going to be the super duper holiday destination ever again. It just simply will not happen when families can hop on a plane to Spain and enjoy far superior weather and entertainment. And catering solely to heritage and walking is only aiming at a small niche of a massive massive market. It would revitalise the struggling hotel industry, provide much needed funds for our local health service, improve our police service as a greater number of officers would be required, improve the pub industry. It is such a win win in all directions.

I would say it would likely not bring as much tourism as you might think. Amsterdam also has sprawling tulip fields, crazy museums and galleries, plus various other debauchery filled activities, which to be honest we don't want to overly encourage. And it's borders are other countries.

That aside, cannabis is so readily available in the UK, people would never travel here for that. We have missed the boat on cannabis being much more profitable than Alcohol. 

We should sort legislation for it to be available on Isle though. CERTAINLY for medical. That should be a priority for the next administration

Edited by Keiran Hannifin
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Chie said:

Totally agree with this and Kieran's comments.  The potential benefits are many and varied, much thought and some action by some people is encouraging.  However, the reality is that the IOM will never legalise or decriminalise until the UK does. Simple as that. 

In fact I can totally see the UK easing up further in the next few years.  The IOM will then drag it's feet and we'll probably be still seeing kids having their lives ruined by being caught with £7.13 of weed for probably a couple of years after... 

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

Totally agree with this and Kieran's comments.  The potential benefits are many and varied, much thought and some action by some people is encouraging.  However, the reality is that the IOM will never legalise or decriminalise until the UK does. Simple as that. 

In fact I can totally see the UK easing up further in the next few years.  The IOM will then drag it's feet and we'll probably be still seeing kids having their lives ruined by being caught with £7.13 of weed for probably a couple of years after... 

What we CAN do, is organise import licences. Cannabis has been legal medicinally since 2018. Just illegal to import and cultivate. So, to bring us in line with the UK, we should be having private prescriptions, sent to a centralised pharmacy on Isle for pick up. And then we can work on the rest. There is alot of scope for cannabis on the island, once we are growing in quantity AND quality. We could actually offer it on public prescription (though it will be hard to convince anyone to give up the cash cow)

3 minutes ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

What we CAN do, is organise import licences. Cannabis has been legal medicinally since 2018. Just illegal to import and cultivate. So, to bring us in line with the UK, we should be having private prescriptions, sent to a centralised pharmacy on Isle for pick up. And then we can work on the rest. There is alot of scope for cannabis on the island, once we are growing in quantity AND quality. We could actually offer it on public prescription (though it will be hard to convince anyone to give up the cash cow)

You're growing on me Keiran....

However, haven't all the (NHS) GPs on Island stated they wouldn't prescribe Cannabis?  Can you get private prescriptions over here? 

Bear in mind these are the same people doing the vast majority of their consultations online/phone now.  The only people being protected are themselves - but that's a whole different different gripe! 

38 minutes ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

Nah. What they should do is sell people a licence to grow their own  (£200/yr x 3000? people) while keeping it illegal otherwise and putting some more effort in to the ports. The police can have half the licence fee to fund it, the other half to administer it. Then when society hasn't collapsed after two or three years bring in full legalisation based on an entirely on island production. 

Edited by TheTeapot
  • Like 2

22 minutes ago, The Phantom said:

However, haven't all the (NHS) GPs on Island stated they wouldn't prescribe Cannabis?  Can you get private prescriptions over here? 

Bear in mind these are the same people doing the vast majority of their consultations online/phone now.  The only people being protected are themselves - but that's a whole different different gripe! 

Not all the GPs and the information came from Ashford, who we have found out isn't always entirely accurate.:

Mr Ashford said the DHSC had held an internal consultation with GPs over the ’appetite for prescribing at a primary care level’ after a public consultation had shown widespread support for its rollout. He added: ’While there were some GPs who were exceptionally enthusiastic about the idea, the majority of the responses were not.’

So all he actually said was that most GPs weren't "exceptionally enthusiastic", not that they were opposed.  I would imagine most would want to see the details before deciding and would be worried about being pestered.

It's interesting that he seems to think that the interests of the public are less important than public employees.  But I suspect the real opposition is from the DHSC civil servants who hate having to do anything that involves change.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Stu Peters said:

My view is that the SPC is operating lots of near empty boats. On the basis they have to be staffed anyway and use the same amount of fuel, why not offer massive price cuts to holidaymakers (who I've been told for years don't come because of the ferry prices) who book accommodation or car hire as part of a deal? You'd have to be careful of substitution, so maybe just off-peak sailings.

You mean pretty much as they do already as you would realise from 10 seconds research. https://www.steam-packet.com/offers/Cars?__SPCoWinID=28b3123a-b874-4f4a-a672-43c42b78d422 

My family from the UK make very good use of them. i also generally make pretty good use of them, but not in the last 18 months, and in general I find SP fares pretty good if not travelling at peak time and you have a few days flexibility

14 hours ago, pongo said:

Not being prepared to take part in government seems lazy to me. Avoiding responsibility.

I think that anybody elected should be prepared to take part in Government but that depends on whether you agree to the Government's policies or be given sufficient freedom to vote against. 

The changes I would like to see are that there a maximum number of MHK's allowed to take up a government role and no MLC allowed to. I would also likely to see a change to the collective responsibility rules so that where the Council of Ministers pass something with 3 or more voting against then it should be a free vote in the chamber.

• Like 1