Middle

3 hours ago, Chie said:

You said you were standing to be something different. Why then vote in someone as CM who's policies do not particularly promise any significant or progressive change and give the impression of "more of the same".

Because if elected Keiran's going to have to vote for the least-worst candidate for CM.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Roxanne said:

I listened to the date last night and thought that KH came over best of all. What I liked most was that he doesn't dwell on the problems but comes up with a solution every single time on every single subject. He's not going to be everyone's cup of tea - mainly because he doesn't 'fit' with the ordinary candidate demographic - but then, we've seen what the standard demographic have done and I think many people are now coming round to choosing something different. Keiran, together with some of the younger MLP candidates, if successful could really make a difference to the House.  I wish him all the best. 

And I am a fan of someone who doesn't let their success go to their clothes. :D

I think KH has done well in the interviews and debates and whilst I would not want Keys made up of too many like KH I have come around to the view that a different voice like his maybe good on the back benches. You also get the impression that he is standing because he believes in what he is standing for and not because it is simply a nice salary.

As a Middle voter the debates etc have changed my initial views, but not in the case of Fowler & Peters. Fowler is not going to be in the running so it is a case of whether I vote for who I consider the best candidate or candidates or for those who might be running neck and neck with Peters for the seats to try and ensure he is not elected. I have issues with Peters opinions and politics, but even if I did not, I am reluctant to vote for any person who stands when past retirement age. They have less interest in the future of the Isle of Man and it does look like the individual is looking for a retirement income.  

At the start of the election I thought that the two ladies would be elected but now I am less sure. I think that Peters will challenge one of them. AL has, in my view, not come across well in the debates and whilst she may do reasonably well in Marown Middle covers a big area. The voting demographics are against KH, unless he can get younger voters out so I don't expect KH to challenge but equally not to be disgraced either. 

Edited by Lost Login
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

The voting demographics are against KH, unless he can get younger voters out so I don't expect KH to challenge but equally not to be disgraced either. 

It was Middle that elected Peter Karran and after an unsuccessful first election, started him off on the most electorate supported political career of Tynwald ever. And that standing on a Labour platform. I'm not wanting to align KH with Peter Karran, as such, but I wouldn't put the Middle demographic into a definite box. 

5 minutes ago, Barlow said:

It was Middle that elected Peter Karran and after an unsuccessful first election, started him off on the most electorate supported political career of Tynwald ever. And that standing on a Labour platform. I'm not wanting to align KH with Peter Karran, as such, but I wouldn't put the Middle demographic into a definite box. 

But in those days Middle included and indeed was dominated by OnchanKarran got elected in a by-election in 1985 as one of the three Middle MHKs, but the constituency was split in 1986 into Onchan with three seats, 'Middle' (Braddan and Marown) with one seat and Santon into a new seat with Malew.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Declan said:

Because if elected Keiran's going to have to vote for the least-worst candidate for CM.

Exactly this. Its Alf, Alex or Chris. 

Chris has proved himself to have principles and to dig his heels in for what is right, rather than what is popular. He is also an educated economist (something we will need), doesn't believe in character based chief minister, but a first minister. 

Shy of announcing for CM myself(which I am not deluded enough to do), he is the best vote I can cast. 

As for PK, I think he got 3rd chair... And attributed it massively to Santon being an ignored parish. 

In Middle, I am a rare progressive running, who has managed to avoid splitting a progressive vote. If I win either seat, it will be of note, being such a "Conservative" area... And the other 23 members will not be able to cast me off as just the "legalise cannabis" vote, not that I have ran with it at the forefront of my campaign. 

• Like 2

No idea. Depends who is in the run. 

Anyone (Chris Thomas included), who is in the running is getting their entire plan picked apart, as well as their voting records to date (which is alot of homework on the hansard) being questioned extensively. I am not dead set on him, just out of the obvious, he is clearly the best option. Thomas, was instrumental in making it so we have an extra week to scrutinise potential CMs. Which is great. He gets alot of crap for being wordy, or not concise... But from what I have seen, he does care about democracy. 

If it becomes a point of having to pick out of a few equally bad choices, I might just put a public poll up and let the people be my vote for it, as many want a say anyway. 

1 hour ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

No idea. Depends who is in the run. 

Anyone (Chris Thomas included), who is in the running is getting their entire plan picked apart, as well as their voting records to date (which is alot of homework on the hansard) being questioned extensively. I am not dead set on him, just out of the obvious, he is clearly the best option. Thomas, was instrumental in making it so we have an extra week to scrutinise potential CMs. Which is great. He gets alot of crap for being wordy, or not concise... But from what I have seen, he does care about democracy. 

If it becomes a point of having to pick out of a few equally bad choices, I might just put a public poll up and let the people be my vote for it, as many want a say anyway. 

I have posted before that I don't think CT is a leader. He is somebody who you would want in the backroom of your leadership group but not out front. Ultimately whoever gets elected will will end up with a set of Government policies based on horse trading in that members will only agree to become ministers if they see certain things introduced or are agreeable to the overall Government's policies. If anybody thinks that prior to AC agreeing to be Treasury minister he and HQ did not thrash out, with a few of their supporters, some basic government framework they are probably deluded. Similarly on going I expect AC has had a fairly major input. 

Because of that horse trading I don't think that it is likely that are we will ever see a particular progressive and reforming Government as Government policy is agreed by negotiation and committee. The CM is effectively the figure head representing where the majority interests of the group lie.  The chances of any would be chief minister being able to implement their own plan is, I expect, pretty small. You either compromise or don't get elected. 

• Like 3

Mr Thomas should be the finance & enterprise supremo in the next government - at this time these things need an expert in charge, not someone who flys to external consultants for policy

The CM should be the best communicator in the outgoing House of Keys, who is a woman

Edited by SleepyJoe
  • Like 1

40 minutes ago, SleepyJoe said:

Mr Thomas should be the finance & enterprise supremo in the next government - at this time these things need an expert in charge, not someone who flys to external consultants for policy

The CM should be the best communicator in the outgoing House of Keys, who is a woman

Agree on last point. On first is his expertise theoretical or practical?

• Like 3