Middle

1 hour ago, Mr. Sausages said:

We did it stu!

You are probably not far wrong. Some of the posts against Stu Peters could well have been counter productive and would be enough to make some folk vote for him.

Edited by Barlow

8 hours ago, Barlow said:

You are probably not far wrong. Some of the posts against Stu Peters could well have been counter productive and would be enough to make some folk vote for him.

I doubt Manx Forums have that much influence to change large numbers of votes, similarly all the election broadcasts etc. A huge number seem to vote largely on the basis of it is a person or name they know. For this reason MHK's numbers appear to go up if they have been elected in a bi-election and are generally pretty safe the second time they go up unless they have mucked up locally or have been very poor as ministers.

It is for this reason in the past we have seen loads of postmen etc elected. They are somebody voters know. I expect that KLB and JPW were good candidates but I expect many voted for them simply because they ere MLC's. Peters and Glover I expect that they had a huge boost simply from being known due to Manx Radio. Tim Glover topped the polls I believe by a long way.

Being a known name/face and knocking on doors I still believe is the main way to gather votes. The debates, post on forums will have an effect but I expect that it is only those with a strong interest may be influenced by those. In the case of Middle having said that I doubt if debates etc made much difference if they did I expect it was that Lynch came across poorly and KH did well. It is possible that based on those a fair few switched from Lynch to KH. Whether that was enough to change the vote then that is speculation. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Lost Login said:

I doubt Manx Forums have that much influence to change large numbers of votes, similarly all the election broadcasts etc. A huge number seem to vote largely on the basis of it is a person or name they know. For this reason MHK's numbers appear to go up if they have been elected in a bi-election and are generally pretty safe the second time they go up unless they have mucked up locally or have been very poor as ministers.

It is for this reason in the past we have seen loads of postmen etc elected. They are somebody voters know. I expect that KLB and JPW were good candidates but I expect many voted for them simply because they ere MLC's. Peters and Glover I expect that they had a huge boost simply from being known due to Manx Radio. Tim Glover topped the polls I believe by a long way.

Being a known name/face and knocking on doors I still believe is the main way to gather votes. The debates, post on forums will have an effect but I expect that it is only those with a strong interest may be influenced by those. In the case of Middle having said that I doubt if debates etc made much difference if they did I expect it was that Lynch came across poorly and KH did well. It is possible that based on those a fair few switched from Lynch to KH. Whether that was enough to change the vote then that is speculation. 

MF has its part to play. There isn’t much choice in terms of where you can follow a candidate or engage with them in discussion. It’s either the cesspit of Facebook or the holy halls of MF (or a bit of Twitter). A lot of people only read the posts here and never comment, so while it may not be super influential I think it does have some effect on elections and on building an image of certain candidates in the minds of voters. Having said that, being known either through media or just in your area still seems to be the biggest factor. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lost Login said:

Peters and Glover I expect that they had a huge boost simply from being known due to Manx Radio. Tim Glover topped the polls I believe by a long way.

Good post (although Tim Glover was runner-up....behind Jason Moorhouse)

I wonder how Stu would have done if he had remained a taxi driver? David Fowler may well have beaten him.

I wonder if Tim Glover had remained the lad reading out the Saturday afternoon hockey scores on Manx Radio (the pinnacle of career I would suggest) would he have been elected?

Where MF can affect things is analyising candidates and looking for flaws in either their logic or sniffing out something iffy about them.

Keeran clearly was a better proposition than he first appeared because he was prepared to listen and engage with people - and that included MF.  Josem was found out because he wasn't transparent - and MF played a part in digging into that. 

We're not going have much influence on Stu's vote because the reasons not to vote for him aren't hidden and he treats them as a virtue anyway. SO any discussion here is between people who have formed an opinion on him. 

The only way MF might have an influence on Stu is, it might prepare us for discussions elsewhere on-line or IRL. But even then I think people voted for or against Stu based on whether they buy into the "woke agenda" myth or not. 

• Like 2