Middle

35 minutes ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

*Being "for" Climate Change IS a good stance. I am of the belief (as are many scientists), that simply offsetting emissions is not enough, but we need to reverse some of the damage. I am happy to throw multiple ideas around in regard to this.

I disagree with you on the semantics but do agree that we need to take action in relation to climate change.  I would be interested to hear more about your ideas on this topic.  I disagree with others that the Isle of Man can ignore this as we have a negligible impact when compared to China and the USA.  We should all do our part and set an example.

*I do believe in Heritage also, we have a long history that should be celebrated, such as giving women the right to vote... I also believe that we could afford to remove certain pieces, like the Peggy for instance, it is not a very good asset, if it is bleeding money. ''North of £5m" as a cost, will likely never be recovered through the tourism it would personally bring in.

*At a time where we have made so much loss on money, it seems to me like a very expensive approach...interestingly, many of the giant elk specimens on display around the UK were found here, perhaps hosting it elsewhere might be cheaper and highlight the Isle of Man to visitors in a foreign land?  Horse trams are another example, though horse trams are not ''Manx'', we were just the last to get rid... Is there specific heritage that you yourself are eager to see preserved? Our elderly are Manx Heritage, and we will be to future generations. I would personally rather we were remembered as people who lifted up our vulnerable, rather than kept a few treasures. Lets not forget this boat was forgotten about for over 100 years. 

In your view what makes a good asset?  As I have said on another thread Peggy is unique.  She is the oldest surviving Manx boat and only one of very few surviving vessels from her era.  What would you suggest is done with her?  Sending her on loan or a tour could be an idea, however, who covers the cost and risk associated with this?

My concern with your approach to the Islands heritage assets is that you, and others, see them as stand alone and not as part of an overall package.  I will again reiterate the point I made in another thread which was to challenge people to name any other area outside of London (and perhaps Edinburgh) in the UK that has the concentration of heritage attractions we have here?  More importantly those items all remain within their historical context.

Stuffing items such as the horse trams into a museum or sending the Peggy on loan to various UK museums will have no benefit to the Island.  If the Cutty Sark for example was loaned to the Isle of Man why would I bother travelling to see her at a later date in her normal location? 

*Why should education be any different to A-Levels in this way? Or IOM college? I don't believe that we should pay for all FE, but to do an open university course is insanely expensive and time consuming. Perhaps either a decent slither paid back, after course is completed, or even a benefit to help support those wishing to take on further education. I know that Rob Callister is also a champion of this, as are the Manx Labour Party. As for recouping costs, I am unsure of a mechanism for enforcing this, especially as you can move off the Island without the Government's knowledge. 

A-Levels are different from HE.  How would you decide which HE to help fund?  A return to means tested grants?  What about if someone wanted to study for a qualification that had no immediate application on the Isle of Man.  Would you not fund that type of qualification because they probably would not return to the Island?  

* I fully agree, there are not enough opportunities on the island, which is why people leave, youths are destructive and there is a pull to the UK, what are the department of enterprise actually doing? Our economy is based on consumerism, our infrastructure is based on capitalism. If more low paid workers were given the opportunity to thrive, they would. Trying to set up a business on the Isle of Man if you require property, stock and staff is near impossible on £8.25 an hour. I know this to be the case, as I work part time as a cleaner. We are paid £10.50 an hour and multiple members of staff have used the opportunity to set up and buy businesses. I have one, the Manx Blacksmith is one and another member of staff have recently bought a hair salon. I have also spoken to scores of people unable to get on the first rung of the ladder. As well as this, being able to hire multiple members of staff as a new business, and them get paid living wage from the get go, is more likely to boost your business, as well as the economy. If the lowest paid section of the Isle (i believe it is 1 in 6 people on isle, are below living wage) had these chances, you would see more businesses open across many sectors. Our island is built for people to monopolise. See Heron & Brearley, Manx Gas, Manx Telecom etc. etc. This would not only drive innovation and creation, but also competition. Which would lead to more activities and job opportunities for all.

You have identified some niche markets and it is great that you and others have been able to start businesses in these areas, however, ultimately the market on the Isle of Man is very limited.  See what happened between the Steam Packet and Manxline as an example of what happens when two businesses compete for a limited market and try to compete for customers.  Whilst it disrupted the monopoly of the Steam Packet it ended up leading to another one and saw control of the Steam Packet move away from the Island until the Government recently intervened. 

I also don't think you are giving thought to the shift away from "bricks and mortar" that is taking place throughout the world economy.  

*People are able to make their own decisions, but we are still part of nature. There is a reason that a HUGE percentage of people get the ''body clock'' effect. I, myself have chosen not to have children for a myriad of reasons. But, it's very hard to ignore the correlation between a drop in quality of life and people choosing not to have kids. I do accept that correlation and causation are not necessarily the same thing, but I do believe in this instance, its a heavy contributing factor. There are tons of reasons why. Childcare+rent will wipe out 2 parents entire wages, leading to people not only struggling to feed and clothe said children, but also have the time to raise them and teach them the qualities of what you wish them to have. People seem to work all their life, to pay someone else to raise their families. My wife has been gathering anecdotal data from various mothers in regard to this from ''Ladies Lockdown''

I don't think you have really addressed the point but at least you seem to understand some of the financial reasons why people choose not to have children.

24 minutes ago, trmpton said:

My interest was purely the correlation between you environmental ideology and the vast amounts of energy consumed by the crypto industry.

To my mind the two things don't sit very well together. 

Ok. Well, first i would advise researching the differences between "proof of work" which is how bitcoin is mined and "proof of stake" which is how many others are.

"proof of work" as you say, requires huge amounts of energy. Power consumption is not bad for the planet, but how we extract the power is. As mining becomes more power consumptive, the profit is determined largely by how that power is produced. Renewable energy over time is cheaper than repeatedly buying and burning fossil fuels. What this causes/is causing/has caused is a "space race" type event in order to be able to produce more for less... Hence why China does most of theirs with hydro power.

"Proof of stake" is very different. And eco friendly.

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/proof-stake-pos.asp

And that's the tech I'm into, and for good reason! I became interested in blockchain, as a method for replacing a corruptible infrastructure with a none corruptible.

With this tech, you can track all trade, medical records, government earning and spending, power, transport, banking, land registry, deeds and education all in a way that is transparent and completely impossible to corrupt.... As Fantom Foundation is currently doing in the middle east. I would strongly recommend googling what they are doing for Afghanistan, Pakistan and Tajikistan. Its amazing what can be done, when you don't have to fight against people with vested interests. 

https://fantom.foundation/blog/fantom-to-power-e-government-infrastructure-of-tajikistan/

If the Isle of man was to do this, for instance.

We could tether the gbp to a digital currency-unlike how the UK are looking into it with "britcoin" on a PoS network. Replace minting with ID/debit cards. All people who hold cash in their account would be "mining" "gas coins", which are a 3rd party tokenomic. This would give you an asset to sell to outside investors that would directly relate to how successful the IOM is. Incentivising us to keep progressing.

All civil servants paid, all benefits and pensions, everything. You can still use gbp as cash currency.

With this you can incentivise a 1% discount on all manx product encouraging local produce and buying. You could also pay incentives to land owners to produce or export. And save the treasury over 1m a year on audits.

And it would be impossible to launder money, or pay bribes, dodge tax, cover up medical negligence. This might explain why the existing billionaires are against it. Like they were with the conspiracy around amazon and their power use.

"everytime you order a book from amazon, you're burning a lump of coal" 

Yet, I've not really mentioned it as a viable idea, as its hard enough to justify that someone working a full time job should be able to feed their kids as a none radical idea. 

I hope that answers your question. :)

43 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

I disagree with you on the semantics but do agree that we need to take action in relation to climate change.  I would be interested to hear more about your ideas on this topic.  I disagree with others that the Isle of Man can ignore this as we have a negligible impact when compared to China and the USA.  We should all do our part and set an example.

In your view what makes a good asset?  As I have said on another thread Peggy is unique.  She is the oldest surviving Manx boat and only one of very few surviving vessels from her era.  What would you suggest is done with her?  Sending her on loan or a tour could be an idea, however, who covers the cost and risk associated with this?

My concern with your approach to the Islands heritage assets is that you, and others, see them as stand alone and not as part of an overall package.  I will again reiterate the point I made in another thread which was to challenge people to name any other area outside of London (and perhaps Edinburgh) in the UK that has the concentration of heritage attractions we have here?  More importantly those items all remain within their historical context.

Stuffing items such as the horse trams into a museum or sending the Peggy on loan to various UK museums will have no benefit to the Island.  If the Cutty Sark for example was loaned to the Isle of Man why would I bother travelling to see her at a later date in her normal location? 

A-Levels are different from HE.  How would you decide which HE to help fund?  A return to means tested grants?  What about if someone wanted to study for a qualification that had no immediate application on the Isle of Man.  Would you not fund that type of qualification because they probably would not return to the Island?  

You have identified some niche markets and it is great that you and others have been able to start businesses in these areas, however, ultimately the market on the Isle of Man is very limited.  See what happened between the Steam Packet and Manxline as an example of what happens when two businesses compete for a limited market and try to compete for customers.  Whilst it disrupted the monopoly of the Steam Packet it ended up leading to another one and saw control of the Steam Packet move away from the Island until the Government recently intervened. 

I also don't think you are giving thought to the shift away from "bricks and mortar" that is taking place throughout the world economy.  

I don't think you have really addressed the point but at least you seem to understand some of the financial reasons why people choose not to have children.

Do you live in middle? I am happy to come and talk to you in depth over any of it. :) I will give you a list of things this eve, that we could do to help our ecosystem, as well as solving other problems. Though, again... They seem quite ambitious or "out of the box" But, by in large... We are stuck because of certain contracts with the incinerator and building contracted for new builds. 

Edited by Keiran Hannifin

25 minutes ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

Do you live in middle? I am happy to come and talk to you in depth over any of it. :) I will give you a list of things this eve, that we could do to help our ecosystem, as well as solving other problems. Though, again... They seem quite ambitious or "out of the box" But, by in large... We are stuck because of certain contracts with the incinerator and building contracted for new builds. 

Whilst I appreciate your offer to come and talk to me in depth on these subjects it is that type of approach which concerns me.  What you tell me in my home could be vastly different from what you are telling someone 3 or 4 doors down the road.

This is a public forum and therefore has an element of transparency to it.  Whilst I like that you have come on here to engage with people I just feel like I am getting vague answers and no real vision.

Saying that you have ambitious or "out of the box" ideas is great but what are they?  If you are reluctant to share them in a public forum why?  

As for the cryptocurrency I think you will find a lot of people have no comprehension of how they work and will really not understand the technical details.  

34 minutes ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

With this tech, you can track all trade, medical records, government earning and spending, power, transport, banking, land registry, deeds and education all in a way that is transparent and completely impossible to corrupt....

All civil servants paid, all benefits and pensions, everything. You can still use gbp as cash currency.

With this you can incentivise a 1% discount on all manx product encouraging local produce and buying. You could also pay incentives to land owners to produce or export. And save the treasury over 1m a year on audits.

And it would be impossible to launder money, or pay bribes, dodge tax, cover up medical negligence. This might explain why the existing billionaires are against it. Like they were with the conspiracy around amazon and their power use.

I think you will face a lot of resistance on this tech because normal members of the public are already wary of having all their personal details shared electronically and have resisted numerous attempts by Governments to progress this.  Look at the NHS apps in the UK for evidence of this.

I admire the drive to tackle corruption but you are going to need to find a way to reassure members of the public that there data is not at risk, that it will not impact on their freedoms and that people have an opt out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, manxman1980 said:

Whilst I appreciate your offer to come and talk to me in depth on these subjects it is that type of approach which concerns me.  What you tell me in my home could be vastly different from what you are telling someone 3 or 4 doors down the road.

This is a public forum and therefore has an element of transparency to it.  Whilst I like that you have come on here to engage with people I just feel like I am getting vague answers and no real vision.

Saying that you have ambitious or "out of the box" ideas is great but what are they?  If you are reluctant to share them in a public forum why?  

As for the cryptocurrency I think you will find a lot of people have no comprehension of how they work and will really not understand the technical details.  

I think you will face a lot of resistance on this tech because normal members of the public are already wary of having all their personal details shared electronically and have resisted numerous attempts by Governments to progress this.  Look at the NHS apps in the UK for evidence of this.

I admire the drive to tackle corruption but you are going to need to find a way to reassure members of the public that there data is not at risk, that it will not impact on their freedoms and that people have an opt out.

You're fast becoming my favourite person on here. I wasn't suggesting I would only talk to you in person about it, and will happily list the stuff I'd like to see done(and for the sake of saving back and forths provide some research/studies that have been done to back up what I suggest).... But it will be later, as I need to start Finding SOME time to appreciate my wife. 

As for blockchain tech, that's the beauty of it. Security is the number one feature, but this is not an idea I am planning on running with (all though it is a good one), purely because of how difficult it will be for both the community and tynwald to get their heads around. 

As far as climate change goes, a read of Bill Gates', 'How To Avoid Climate Disaster', is an interesting read and although I don't agree with all he says the futility of the IOM bothering with grandiose green schemes to alter the world's footprint comes across very clearly as does the many areas that need sorting before draconion measures are taken against fossil fuel  transport.

On 5/24/2021 at 7:12 PM, Albert Tatlock said:

Sorry to say this Keiran...but I think you're going to do as well as the UK did in the Eurovision song contest.

I think he'll get a few votes. Also depends on who else stands of course. Last time there were four candidates in Middle. 

Tell you what Keiran: you get more votes in Middle in September than I got in Douglas South in 2006 and I'll give fifty quid to a charity of your choice. Let's show that miserable Albert fella :) 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

I think he'll get a few votes. Also depends on who else stands of course. Last time there were four candidates in Middle. 

Tell you what Keiran: you get more votes in Middle in September than I got in Douglas South in 2006 and I'll give fifty quid to a charity of your choice. Let's show that miserable Albert fella :) 

Deal. My charity of choice is already "Isle of play"

😂 I'd say I'd offer you the same deal if I lose, but I'm not sure if there are rules on me directly gambling. Pretty eager to not get disqualified. 

• Like 1

Seems you need to read this https://www.gov.im/media/1372237/elections-keys-and-local-authorities-act-2020.pdf 

It all seemed simpler when I did it. Oh well. No need for a counter bet. 

Make sure you get a few extra signatures in case any of the people proposing you aren't on the register. Avoids the embarrassing situation of having to ask one of the other candidates on the day, and in front of the RO, to sign for you. Not that this would ever happen :) . Get your signs ready for later in the campaign, get some good mates to help you with your mailshot and write every single address by hand. Looks like you have around 4000 registered voters so don't leave this to the last minute. Loads of other things you should be doing, but mostly: enjoy the process and canvas the hell out of the place. It's the only time you'll meet all your 4000 neighbours. 

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Amadeus said:

How many votes did you get in Douglas South in 2006?

KH has been out in the sun too long.  Either that or it’s been a long lunch - 

‘Busses with removable batteries to power cafes in bus stations … yeah, all of our bus stations.

Vending machines (reads life he means on the buses) selling manx products.. including Manx coffee .. 

I passed the Manx coffee bean plantation on the way home (while wishing I could have a pie on the bus) and thought we need more of these.  Maybe a banana forest, coconut field and a rocking horse poo processing plant making electricity at a cheap rate.

• Haha 1