Middle

On 9/28/2021 at 7:01 PM, Barlow said:

9 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Then they are both in breach of the regulations regards signage - Not a good look really when it is something so simple

Which one did I miss? Some actual info would be much more use than your vague whinging? As stu points out, I managed to message him amicably with details about where his was, out of courtesy and to seem like I actually wanted to actually ensure the sign was removed... 

Edited by Keiran Hannifin

7 hours ago, Lost Login said:

This is totally subjective. If you are of the opinion that SP is racist then in my view the fault lies with SP not those commenting on the matter and any hurt and damage done is the responsibility of SP having such views and, again, not the party reporting. If you believe that SP is racist then they have not tried to "trash come innocent's standing" as if he has those views then by definition he is not innocent.

If you believe that SP does not hold racist views then the opinion you express would be appropriate.

One definition for being racist "is prejudiced against or antagonistic towards a person or people on the basis of their membership of a particular racial or ethnic group" and my view is that from what I have heard SP say and also from what I have read then, in my opinion, reaching the opinion that SP is racist is not an unreasonable conclusion to reach. You obviously have a different opinion.

I would also disagree with your comment about the "little walk ending in some pointless symbolism". To be the taking the knee, marching and demonstrating is a demonstration that many reasonable folk are trying to send a message out to those that still have racist views, and I would include you in that based on your posts, that these views are not acceptable. Whilst it may not stop people having those views it might at least make them think twice before stating publicly and encouraging others to follow. It is why I support the taking of the knee prior to premier league games etc, although for a whilst I was wondering if the gesture has gone stale and was time to stop, as if the majority of public demonstrate their support against racism then those who might want to express such views at or around grounds might think twice.

I have to admit that is I was writing this 40 or 50 years ago I am pretty sure that I would have reached a different conclusion as what was deemed acceptable then would, in many cases, no longer be seen as acceptable. e.g. the blackface minstrel tradition was still mainstream when I was a child with the Black and White Minstrel show or collectables with tokens from, I think, Robertson's jam. 

I don't view SP as being overtly racist but simply that from his outmoded views he demonstrates a level of convert racism which effectively enables him to practice "plausible deniability".  I think that many in the older generations also only really recognise overt racism or sexism.

I don't expect SP's or others with similar views to change as they are children of their times and have not moved with the times nor do they want to. You can see that with SP with his occasional complaints about not wanting or needed to be educated by others. Many of us enjoy being continually politely educated through life, for one thing it helps me understand my kids. I would not try and argue or discuss the matter with SP as I appreciate that he would be as receptive as my kids are when I try and help them with their school work. The shutters would just come down. As most we can hope that is uncomfortable for them to express such views publicly so that future generations don't copy and think such view remain acceptable.

I often listen to old comedies on the radio and pre broadcast they announce that the contents of the programs reflects the attitude of the times. Now we are living in 2021 I would prefer that we stop trying to argue that attitudes in respect of racism, sexism etc that were prevalent and acceptable 50, 60 or 70 years ago remain so today. I look back at my behaviour 50 years ago and I accept that if looked at in the current light they might not stand up to scrutiny. I doubt if wandering hands in the cinema wondering what "base" you might get to with a girl are still viewed as acceptable but certainly now if a girl told you to stop you would rather than merely treat it as a signal to give it a rest for 5 minutes before trying again.       

Tldr. I'm presuming vague overwaffle

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, the stinking enigma said:

Could you sum it up please. 4 or 5 lines preferably 4

PK's post was bollocks in my view as SP gives. in my opinion, every indication of having covet racist views. Therefore rather than blame the party pointing that out blame the party with the views.

It is good to stand up to and demonstrate that against unacceptable views.  

1 hour ago, the stinking enigma said:

Could you sum it up please. 4 or 5 lines preferably 4

@Lost Login extracted himself from the forum during the early days of the pandemic and is making up for it now, big time.

Remember TLDR lad. Short and slick does the trick.

Edited by Barlow

2 hours ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

Which one did I miss? Some actual info would be much more use than your vague whinging?

10 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Great care should be taken in recording where and how signage is placed."

Like I said.  A simple task which is probably a fair indicator of if someone can understand complex documents and make important decisions.

Check the list you made when you out them out and cross reference against when you took them in?

I would start on the bank opposite Snugborogh but am sure I saw others yesterday but can’t remember where 

10 hours ago, Lost Login said:

I have to admit I am at a loss why along parts of the main road into Douglas he had quite so many as I doubt that many voters went on seeing the 6th one, "You know what, having passed 5 signs in the last 200 yards and not thought about voting for David Fowler, now I have seen the 6th I will" Possibly he presumed we had the memory of a goldfish and would forget if not reminded every 10 seconds. 

I wonder if placards and posters have resulted in a single vote for anyone, ever.  Does anyone who makes the effort to either go to a polling station, or get a postal vote, stare at the ballot paper and say to themselves, "Now, which of these can I remember seeing tied on a lamppost..."

I don't really know why they bother with them.  Because everyone else does, presumably.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, wrighty said:

I wonder if placards and posters have resulted in a single vote for anyone, ever.  Does anyone who makes the effort to either go to a polling station, or get a postal vote, stare at the ballot paper and say to themselves, "Now, which of these can I remember seeing tied on a lamppost..."

I don't really know why they bother with them.  Because everyone else does, presumably.

Is it psychological? Makes the candidate and their supporters feel there's momentum behind the candidate.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Declan said:

Is it psychological? Makes the candidate and their supporters feel there's momentum behind the candidate.

I think you're right on this account. There is a certain psychology, however on the Isle of Man, which might not apply in more built up areas of posters being out. In the likes of London, you would soon tune them out. But here... Its out of the ordinary. 

Just look how much its boiling @Ramseybois piss that I've left one out (which, I actually thought I had picked up... But there's a real chance I had intended to double back as didn't want to park on that road in busy traffic with hazards) 

I also think if you spot 100 of the other candidates it makes you feel like you're not putting in enough effort. I only put out 28, because I found them garish 

Edited by Keiran Hannifin

2 hours ago, Ramseyboi said:

Like I said.  A simple task which is probably a fair indicator of if someone can understand complex documents and make important decisions.

Check the list you made when you out them out and cross reference against when you took them in?

I would start on the bank opposite Snugborogh but am sure I saw others yesterday but can’t remember where 

The only other one unaccounted for is on private land. Which I have reminded her to remove incase it hasnt been (llamedos livery), as she had said she would. 

I used what3words to remind me where all mine were. 

8 minutes ago, Keiran Hannifin said:

The only other one unaccounted for is on private land. Which I have reminded her to remove incase it hasnt been (llamedos livery), as she had said she would. 

I used what3words to remind me where all mine were. 

Llamedos one has not been there for a couple of days or so.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, wrighty said:

If anything, they're more likely to cost votes. Not that I'm shallow or anything, but having skimmed a manifesto and thought to myself "Yes, I could probably vote for that", I have in the past actually changed my mind when presented with the gormless face of the manifesto's owner splattered across the constituency.

• Like 1